DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maven app for dji...iOS only at the moment

Claretcass

Reactions
This is now a very powerful and cost affective app with the 3.7 upgrade giving it even more functionality.
I have been using what I consider to be the easiest app to learn for the last 3 years but the latest upgrade makes it a game changer. I have used it for simple waypoints in the past as it only allowed 3 points of interest when setting waypoints but this has now been dramatically increased. The main addition for me in this latest upgrade allows my waypoint mission to be created on the litchi hub which also allows the altitude to be set to “above ground” then exported as a “CSV” file and imported directly into the Maven app and saved as a Maven app.
This app just get better and better and is so easy to learn and has lots of functionality. I have used the import facility and it works exactly as it should. I have used both Dronelink and Litchi but for me this will be my simple to use app for my future building/roof inspection work and if and when it goes to Android it will be then be considered a “major app” alongside the big boys.
If you have not seen or heard of this app for people starting out or not requiring the expensive complex functionality it is well worth a look.
It is in the iOS App Store as “Maven for dji drones”

This is now a very powerful and cost affective app with the 3.7 upgrade giving it even more functionality.
I have been using what I consider to be the easiest app to learn for the last 3 years but the latest upgrade makes it a game changer. I have used it for simple waypoints in the past as it only allowed 3 points of interest when setting waypoints but this has now been dramatically increased. The main addition for me in this latest upgrade allows my waypoint mission to be created on the litchi hub which also allows the altitude to be set to “above ground” then exported as a “CSV” file and imported directly into the Maven app and saved as a Maven app.
This app just get better and better and is so easy to learn and has lots of functionality. I have used the import facility and it works exactly as it should. I have used both Dronelink and Litchi but for me this will be my simple to use app for my future building/roof inspection work and if and when it goes to Android it will be then be considered a “major app” alongside the big boys.
If you have not seen or heard of this app for people starting out or not requiring the expensive complex functionality it is well worth a look.
It is in the iOS App Store as “Maven for dji drones”

Sounds like a good app, other than the virtual co pilot (I hd a quick read of the manual) what makes it better than Litchi in your opinion

I don’t think it is better than Litchi which is a great app especially for more complex tasks, As I have been using the Maven app for 3 years throughout its development as a recreational flier i found it easy to learn and use. Now that the law in the uk has changed and I can do limited commercial work (estate events / industrial roof and building inspections) I find the app ideal for me. I also use Litchi but gave up on Dronelink.I think Litchi which is ideal for more complex industrial work has a key place for mainly commercial work and will carry out tasks that the Maven App will not. Now that I can create Litchi apps on the hub and import into Maven it’s ideal for me And it has allowed me to bring my Mavic Air 2 into play which as yet Litchi have not done with the “virtual sticks” requirement as for them I think they wish to focus on fully autonomous flight and commercial work.
thanks for your comment

@Claretcass, I agree. Maven is a game changer, especially since it works with the Mini. I too use Litchi but find Maven even simpler to use and the new update adds so much more versatility.

In addition to waypoints some of Maven's other features - it has geofencing mode - a Virtual Reality mode with your iPhone - adds an Augmented Reality mode showing home, poi live as an overlay over your screen display - several co-pilot modes, that can handle yaw, camera tilt and orientation while you control speed and altitude. They say more features and updates to come.

The main feature I feel is missing for the Mini is panoramas. Litchi has a fantastic auto and custom panorama feature that also does auto stitching. Hopefully this feature for Maven is still to come but I still see no mention of it in the "soon to come features".

For more info on the iOS app, here's Maven for DJI Drones home page
https://www.mavenpilot.com

I don’t think it is better than Litchi which is a great app especially for more complex tasks, As I have been using the Maven app for 3 years throughout its development as a recreational flier i found it easy to learn and use.
@Claretcass, I agree. Maven is a game changer, especially since it works with the Mini. I too use Litchi but find Maven even simpler to use and the new update adds so much more versatility.

Then as soon as the Mini 2 is supported and it has an Android version I will most definately be trying this app,

Reactions: Buslee
One other thing I did not mention was that I fly over rough and unequal terrain, hills and valleys and where Litchi came into its own was I could select the altitude “Above the ground” whereas Maven was always relative to altitude at the “HOME” position on take off.
Now that I can create the waypoint mission in Litchi with the “above the ground “ and export into Maven it will a game changer.

The developer has contacted me and told me litchi does not export all the information required to execute the “above ground” option as it should so he will include it within the Maven app

Message from developer
——————————-
Hi,
unfortunately when exporting to CSV litchi it does not include ground height information.

Therefore I have decided that I will develop this feature as soon as possible to be included in maven

for now the fastest solution is to modify the csv with the heights read from litchi before importing it

Regards
Michele

As I said before in an earlier post brilliant response as always and continually developing the app.
————————————-
I also utilised the option to create more actions when flying waypoints and the one that allows me to turn the light underneath my Mavic Air 2 is very useful.
It really is a very good upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exphantomflyer
I too am waiting for Android version so I can use my Smart Controller

You may have a long wait. I have also corresponded directly with Michele in the past and he has been madly trying to add important features to the existing iOS version of Maven. Coming up with an Android version is essentially like writing the app over from scratch. He had mentioned that his next release would include the Litchi Hub to .CSV to Maven import, and now he says he will add height-above-ground ... which is no small task since it involves either the Google Elevation.api or an open source Linux version that exists. If he uses the Google Elevation.api I believe that a Google license requires the output to be displayed as an overlay either in Google Maps or Google Earth, or some other Google format. That will likely be a major task for Michele. He has also said that he wants to add the capability to manually fly to various points in Maven, saving them as waypoints to be run later as a mission. That's another use of his time and effort, so I suspect Android is a bit in the future.

For me, I use an iPad 10.2 with my MA2 so I'm thrilled with Maven as it is.

Shame it'll probably be a long time to get it for Android. Has anyone used Redwaypoint on the MA2? I see videos on youtube of a guy (I think it's the developer) doing waypoints with it.

You may have a long wait. I have also corresponded directly with Michele in the past and he has been madly trying to add important features to the existing iOS version of Maven. Coming up with an Android version is essentially like writing the app over from scratch. He had mentioned that his next release would include the Litchi Hub to .CSV to Maven import, and now he says he will add height-above-ground ... which is no small task since it involves either the Google Elevation.api or an open source Linux version that exists. If he uses the Google Elevation.api I believe that a Google license requires the output to be displayed as an overlay either in Google Maps or Google Earth, or some other Google format. That will likely be a major task for Michele. He has also said that he wants to add the capability to manually fly to various points in Maven, saving them as waypoints to be run later as a mission. That's another use of his time and effort, so I suspect Android is a bit in the future.

For me, I use an iPad 10.2 with my MA2 so I'm thrilled with Maven as it is.

Yes it will be a long wait as it will have to be written from scratch. I was in contact with him yesterday about the 3.7 upgrade which is excellent for running Litchi waypoints via CSV, the extra actions he has included and the additional POI’s now available. He explained to me that he is not going to use the altitude “Above the ground” option exported from Litchi when setting a waypoint mission but he is going to include it directly within Maven in a future upgrade.
With all what’s going on with Apple and developers I will wait to see how that works out and the release of the certification for drones in the UK before I buy any “new” drones or equipment. I have 3 drones, a Mavic Air 1, Mavic Air 2 and a mini2 and I can only run my Air 2 on the smart controller which I purchased because of the extra brightness as I am now a 76 year old “old giffer” and my eyes are not what they were.
I really like and enjoy running Maven on iOS and currently use an iPad mini 5 but even with a sunshade I struggle with brightness and I am currently trying to find a tablet that offers higher brightness within iOS allowing me to continue with Maven. I cant seem to find one so far.
Regards and thanks for your comment

@Claretcass, you may not need a brighter screen. Have you tried an anti-glare screen protector like this
Anti-Glare - Amazon.ca
I find the reflections of the sky (and my face) are worse than trying to block the light falling on the screen with a sunshade. The matte anti-glare covering does lower the quality of the image and the contrast a just a bit but if you mainly use the device for flying (and not for photo retouching...), it does a good job.

@Claretcass, you may not need a brighter screen. Have you tried an anti-glare screen protector like this
Anti-Glare - Amazon.ca
I find the reflections of the sky (and my face) are worse than trying to block the light falling on the screen with a sunshade. The matte anti-glare covering does lower the quality of the image and the contrast a just a bit but if you mainly use the device for flying (and not for photo retouching...), it does a good job.

Thanks for that, never thought of an anti glare screen as I thought it would reduce the clarity of the image.
Thank you

Is there a tutorial for getting "interval photo shot" to work? I have to manually take the first shot at each waypoint. Also, it's around 25 feet off from what's show on the map.

I don’t think it is better than Litchi which is a great app especially for more complex tasks, As I have been using the Maven app for 3 years throughout its development as a recreational flier i found it easy to learn and use. Now that the law in the uk has changed and I can do limited commercial work (estate events / industrial roof and building inspections) I find the app ideal for me. I also use Litchi but gave up on Dronelink.I think Litchi which is ideal for more complex industrial work has a key place for mainly commercial work and will carry out tasks that the Maven App will not. Now that I can create Litchi apps on the hub and import into Maven it’s ideal for me And it has allowed me to bring my Mavic Air 2 into play which as yet Litchi have not done with the “virtual sticks” requirement as for them I think they wish to focus on fully autonomous flight and commercial work.
thanks for your comment
I have tried to find out how to import the csv file from Litchi into Maven, but can’t find out how?

I could not wait for the android version, so I had to buy an iPhone & another drone to use the app. Besides that, it is a great app & almost idiot proof. No problems with importing CSV files &. getting the job done.

As an amateur coder, I don't think most people appreciate how significantly different the iOS and Android programming environments are... As a few people mentioned, you really have to pretty much start from scratch - nothing coded for iOS will translate to Android in any way, shape or form. That's a LOT of work for one guy running the whole show.

Not to mention that the Android ecosphere is a horrible mess because you need to account in your programming for every possible hardware mix under the sun.... iOS is MUCH easier because all the hardware is basically the same - which also makes iOS apps generally more reliable.

Maven seems to be getting very successful, so perhaps when the iOS app stabilizes the developer will consider investing time and money into Android development. But I really wouldn't hold my breath... I own both device types for this very reason - some apps I want are only available on one platform.

Worth noting that DJI claims the MSDK support for the Mini 3 Pro will be available by the end of this month. Given that it took a year after the release of the Mini 2 for MSDK support for that device to appear, I find this rapid release for the Mini 3 Pro to be remarkable -- if it happens -- they kept slipping on announced dates for the Mini 2 MSDK support, as you may recall, for multiple quarters.

However. DJI also seems to be saying that the Mini 3 Pro will only be supported in the Version 5 MSDK, and that this version of the MSDK will only support Android. This would leave iOS-only apps in a potentially problematic position going forward.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121