DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavi air vs Mini2

I don't think so... I couldn't find any online comparisons of these two birds, so took the chance- Just sold my Air (w/2 batts) for $400, and picked up the Mini 2 (w/1 batt) for $450.

Jury is still out, as I've put less than a dozen flights on the Mini2 in a few days (Had 144 total on the Air).

The MAIN reason I did this was to get Occusync for extended range. I was always plagued by interference in many situations with the Air. Why not the Air 2? The Air 1 packed up perfectly for my motorcycle trips with very limited space. Mini 2 about the same with the larger remote, but Air 2 takes up too much room lol. Also, I risk the birds over water and wilderness, and cheaper is better!

The cameras between the MA1 and M2 are now pretty identical. So it comes down to range and weather stability. So far I'm pretty impressed by the wind that the little guy can handle, but taking it on a flight from home I've done several times with the Air it struggled almost as much with connectivity at just 1mi out at 400' in the suburbs, so I'm not overly impressed. Other flights over the same distance have proven to be more locked in, but I fully expected to get 3x the range I had with the Air.

Depends if you value being able to fly far BVLOS (may not be 'legal' where you are) more than collision avoidance features.

Mini2: better signal/range, quieter, flight time
MA: collision avoidance, stronger motors, stability.

The mini only do AEB with 3 pictures. The Air does it with 5 pictures. For anyone taking HDR photography serious, the more shots, the better.

Reactions: Thomas B
I will go for a Mini 2 for ocusync and 31 mins flight time but I'm still keeping my Air cos I want to fly Litchi. I also believe Air is a bit stabler with its bigger airframe.

If you don't fly Litchi get a Mini 2. 31 mins is a lot of fun.

As reviews showed you can’t fly 31 mins. It tips out at about 20 mins.

I’ve got an Air and it’s fin with 10-12 mins. More stable flight with wind too

Reactions: NAVMAV
I have high hope on the flight time of Mini 2. If it tips out at 20 mins it doesn't make sense to get it. My Air can still stay in air for 13-15 mins with the old batteries, so does my Spark. I always timed my mission to no more than 13 mins.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Not sure if this comparison is justified and I know this is the air 1 thread but I did sell my Mavic Pro 1 and got the Mini 2 instead. Do I regret it? No.

This is going to sound controversial to some people, but image quality and portability were 2 important factors as to why I switched. I was never that satisfied with the Mavic Pro’s image quality and I can confirm that the hdr and overall video output on the Mini2 is alot better and It also handles the wind just as well and I actually like it a little bit more than my old MP1. It’s also quieter. Much quieter infact, even than the MP1 with the platinum’s quiet props fitted, and no one who’s around even knows it’s up there, it’s a stealthy little thing.

Also travelling to other countries will be less of a hassle now as I wont need to register it or take a test with it being 238g. So in my opinion, and to answer your question, no, it’s not a silly decision.

I know the air 1 has better image quality than the MP1 and 360 obstacle avoidance but the Ocusync 2 on the Mini2 alone is a good enough reason for most people to switch. If signal strength and range isn’t an issue to you and you need obstacle avoidance then maybe not.

Being a careful flyer myself that never really flew indoors or through tight spaces, I never relied too much on OA anyway.

Hell yes its better in every way sell the MA1 YOU WON'T BE SORRY!!! the M2 is a much much better aircraft.

Apart from it’s shorter flight time, the Air is better in every way. One of the reasons for its shorter flight time is it has hugely more features and capabilities. The camera, both in video and photo has much more adjustability and the gamble is better. It is a much more stable platform and is also a lot faster in sport mode. Its performance in windy conditions is also much better as the Air has the power to maintain position or fly against much stronger wind conditions The flight modes for the drone are much more sophisticated and it also has collision / obstacle avoidance, It has tracking ( follow me mode ), tripod mode, tap fly etc as well as all the usual quick shot modes. Also, the Air can be flown without the controller, using wifi and a phone, or without controller or phone using gesture control ( that works surprisingly well). The Air is also compatible with Litchi, which is a huge feature the M2 doesn’t have. The M2 is great as it weighs less than the magic 250 grams, and has some great features, but it has nothing like the capability of the Air.

I'm sitting in the same boat, not wanting to regret selling the Air1
...prob end up getting the Mini3 by the time I decide!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji