DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Advanced

PaoloOne

Reactions
I own a Mavic Pro and still I cannot be intrigued by the Mavic 2 Pro, because of the price and the extra whistles and bells that I don't need. I mean sensors that don't work as they should (lateral and precision landing) which bring extra weight and consume power.
The only thing that I could appreciate is the camera but for extra dynamic range I still can use bracketing and save 2000$.
I would love to see a Mavic 2 Advanced without useless sensors and still a 1 inch sensor camera.
How many of you would like that too?

Sensors work, just that some (side ones) are only active in certain modes. However front/back sensors do pick up quite a wide area, so only if you are moving sideways would you have a problem.
As for precision landing, it isn't that it doesn't work, it just wasn't included yet. I get it though, a more advanced system with some well apreciated features included in almost all the previous modesl not included.
If Air didn't include many of the features that MP/MPP include, I might have understood since it seems the M2 probably has most of the code that Air has. But since Air and MPP have precision landing, there doesn't seem to be a valid reason M2 doesn't have it.

I can see how reducing the sensors could lower the price like they did for the P4A, however, removing sensors is unlikely to have any noticeable difference in flight time. The vast majority of the battery life is consumed by the propulsion system, not sensors. According to DJI's specs, the P4A is only 7 grams lighter than the P4P and has the same estimated flight time.

On the DJI website, there is currently a $600 difference between the P4Pv2 ($1799) and the P4A ($1199). If there was a Mavic 2 Advanced at a price of $999, or $1099 I would definitely consider buying it over the M2P!

I can see how reducing the sensors could lower the price like they did for the P4A, however, removing sensors is unlikely to have any noticeable difference in flight time. The vast majority of the battery life is consumed by the propulsion system, not sensors. According to DJI's specs, the P4A is only 7 grams lighter than the P4P and has the same estimated flight time.

On the DJI website, there is currently a $600 difference between the P4Pv2 ($1799) and the P4A ($1199). If there was a Mavic 2 Advanced at a price of $999, or $1099 I would definitely consider buying it over the M2P!

But the price difference between the P4A and the P4P v1 is negligible and that is a fairer comparison as the P4P v2 is quite a lot more than the v1

But the price difference between the P4A and the P4P v1 is negligible and that is a fairer comparison as the P4P v2 is quite a lot more than the v1

Actually, I messed up on the pricing of the P4Pv2. I was accidentally looking at the "+" version with the built in screen on the controller. The normal version of the P4Pv2 is $1499 and the P4Pv2+ is $1799.

Actually, I messed up on the pricing of the P4Pv2. I was accidentally looking at the "+" version with the built in screen on the controller. The normal version of the P4Pv2 is $1499 and the P4Pv2+ is $1799.
I really think and hope that next year we will see a Mavic 2 Advanced for $1.199.
I think because my feeling is that sales of the M2P are not being a huge success as the M1P and because the competition is catching up, currently for example we can see the Parrot Anafi getting very stable in its software, Xiaomi is releasing the FIMI A3 which is incredibly cheap ($269), I know that they are not exactly in the same market range but DJI will have to adjust prices on the low end to contrast the competition that is becoming very aggressive on that section of cheaper drones. This is clearly engaging a chain effect on the whole range, so the Advanced is not becoming cheaper because they will save lots of money getting rid of sensors but because is a great excuse to lower the price without upsetting who already bought the PRO.

I really think and hope that next year we will see a Mavic 2 Advanced for $1.199.
I think because my feeling is that sales of the M2P are not being a huge success as the M1P and because the competition is catching up, currently for example we can see the Parrot Anafi getting very stable in its software, Xiaomi is releasing the FIMI A3 which is incredibly cheap ($269), I know that they are not exactly in the same market range but DJI will have to adjust prices on the low end to contrast the competition that is becoming very aggressive on that section of cheaper drones. This is clearly engaging a chain effect on the whole range, so the Advanced is not becoming cheaper because they will save lots of money getting rid of sensors but because is a great excuse to lower the price without upsetting who already bought the PRO.

Yes, the Anafi is actually really good. I think some don't give it enough credit.

Ah, yes, your comment about "having an excuse to lower the price without upsetting" is something I hadn't thought about previously. That is actually quite a good motivator and also gives them an excuse to fill in that gap right around the $1000 mark with a current drone (not an outgoing discontinued model). Currently the outgoing MP and MPP are occupying this price point.

I've been flying M1P, M1PP, P4A/P and M2P and there's no comparison between the 12mp vs 20mp cameras. I love being able to pan the M2P camera left and right while maintaining the AC nose forward for best efficiency and stability.

A possible M2A could also lose the 5.8GHz parts, just like the P4A and maybe the display screen from the RC.
I have a P4A and P4Ps and can't tell any difference in flight performance, but the P4P has better signal with the dual band radio.

... I love being able to pan the M2P camera left and right while maintaining the AC nose forward for best efficiency and stability...
How do you do that?
I recall reading it here... thought I tried it once, but tried again last week with no luck. (using two fingers to slide on the screen)

Press the screen and drag your finger tip left and right. Pan down and up to recenter.

The MP 2 Pro camera doesn’t simply have more dynamic range, it has way better image quality, lower noise, 20 megapixels, dramatically better low light performance and..... amazing stability for multisecond exposures that are tack sharp.

My Mp never manages sharp multisecond exposures. In fact I was out shooting with and inspire 2 sporting the X7 camera a few weeks ago. we were shooting sunset photos in 20 mph winds, using a two second exposure. Unfortunately out of 80 photos, only one came out usable and it was not very sharp.

Conversely,Shooting with my Mavic 2 pro, I managed to get a number of two and four seconds long exposures to come out tack sharp that same evening.

basically I wasted the best part of golden hour shooting with the wrong drone/camera.

The MP 2 Pro is so much better than the Mavic Pro in so many ways. Best upgrade I’ve ever done!

Reactions: kilomikebravo
The way the gimbal bracket attaches to the body of the M2 with mounts spaced far apart gives a lot more stability.

Even with 20m/s decent horizontal, the live view stays rock steady.

oji195c.jpg

The MP 2 Pro camera doesn’t simply have more dynamic range, it has way better image quality, lower noise, 20 megapixels, dramatically better low light performance and..... amazing stability for multisecond exposures that are tack sharp.

My Mp never manages sharp multisecond exposures. In fact I was out shooting with and inspire 2 sporting the X7 camera a few weeks ago. we were shooting sunset photos in 20 mph winds, using a two second exposure. Unfortunately out of 80 photos, only one came out usable and it was not very sharp.

Conversely,Shooting with my Mavic 2 pro, I managed to get a number of two and four seconds long exposures to come out tack sharp that same evening.

basically I wasted the best part of golden hour shooting with the wrong drone/camera.

The MP 2 Pro is so much better than the Mavic Pro in so many ways. Best upgrade I’ve ever done!
This is my point, I also see a lot of reviews comparing the filming capabilities, I honestly don't care so much about filming, I simply would love to see a cheaper Mavic 2 with no extra sensors, no 10 bit Dlog-M so no Hasselblad licensing.
Just a good platform for shooting pictures, I really hope there are news in this direction, my hope is based on the the imagery from DJI poster of the next event that has a resemblance to the Hasselblad lens.
Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 10.44.24.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 10.44.24.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 10.44.24.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 19
What if I am right?
What if the sense of tagline Because Life Is Big is an affordable drone with a "big" sensor?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User