DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC 2 Batteries flight time

Camilobetan

Reactions
Hello
I'm having an issue and will appreciate advice,
I have a mavic 2 pro and 4 batteries 1 that came with the drone 2 from a Fly more combo all 3 bought at the same time (Sept 2018) and a 4th one bought on December 2018.

All of them have a maximum flight time of 20 - 22 minutes forcing them down to 10% of battery charge... have the auto discharge feature set to 2 days and never store them below 30% of charge...

Batteries 1,2,3 have been charged 50 times the 4th one 35 times.
After using them there is a slight less than a millimeter swell on the black sticker and after they cool down it disappears ...

Is it normal behavior ? or should I be concerned ?

Thanks in advance !!!

CAMILO (Spain)

Hello
I have a mavic 2 pro and 4 batteries 1 that came with the drone 2 from a Fly more combo all 3 bought at the same time (Sept 2018) and a 4th one bought on December 2018.

All of them have a maximum flight time of 20 - 22 minutes forcing them down to 10% of battery charge... have the auto discharge feature set to 2 days and never store them below 30% of charge...

After using them there is a slight less than a millimeter swell on the black sticker and after they cool down it disappears ...

Thanks in advance !!!

CAMILO (Spain)

Yes the concern is that the swelling my happen in flight and cause the battery to pop up and disconnect .
You might be able to squeeze out a few more flights before that happens but you will need to watch it carefully.

Reactions: Camilobetan
@Camilobetan ...
After a few (10-20) flights on my M2P batteries the actual total flight time declined to 21-22 min for me with each of my 10 batteries.. provided relatively low winds. Others have reported very similar findings. So your report on that is expected behavior.

Regarding the swollen battery, I would retire a battery with ANY swelling from flight use.
My personal experience was a battery that suddenly went from 98% charge to barely enough to land safely. Luckily I was w/in 30’ of TO/homepoint, and landed with about 8% battery. Any farther out would have been a walk in the desert or a disaster. After landing I noticed perhaps 1-2 mm swelling... which resolved after cooling, but recurred in testing after recharge.
Flying with a battery that is swollen is courting disaster IMHO.

Hello

Thanks in advance !!!

CAMILO (Spain)

Battery Life really depends on many things.

A) At what Altitude do you fly? I fly at 6000ft above Sea Level (in Johannesburg) -
At this altitude - the Air is THinner and the Props need to do more work - I get For an Average flight to 15% about 18-19 minutes

Alternatively when Im at the coast (0 msl) - my battery life is typically MUCH Much longer. 25-27mins is Possible easily

B) A flight that includes a lot of hovering tends to use less Battery than (Lets say) Flying in Sports Mode at top speed always on the Move.

C) Battery swell is a known problem with Mavic batteries. Also with swell batteries will typically lose power faster. I swopped out radically swollen Batteries for New - and now enjoy longer flight times.

D) flying on a hot day uses more battery than flying at night or on a cold day.

The above are my Experiences...

Hope this helps

B) A flight that includes a lot of hovering tends to use less Battery than (Lets say) Flying in Sports Mode at top speed always on

Just would like to add to this point.

To maximize the flight time, it's actually better to get the craft constantly flying around at some optimal speed. This is because forward movement creates "translational lift" which allows the altitude to be maintained with less motor power . Those who have flown RC helicopters should know this phenomenon very well. Once the helicopter has picked up forward speed, the throttle need be reduced or the heicopter will ascend. For more details, see Translational lift - Wikipedia

Just would like to add to this point.

To maximize the flight time, it's actually better to get the craft constantly flying around at some optimal speed. This is because forward movement creates "translational lift" which allows the altitude to be maintained with less motor power . Those who have flown RC helicopters should know this phenomenon very well. Once the helicopter has picked up forward speed, the throttle need be reduced or the heicopter will ascend. For more details, see Translational lift - Wikipedia
Yes, that makes sense... slower forward flight is lighter on power usage than hovering, and better than full speed (sport mode) flight ...
... thanks for that

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake