DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 battery popped out destroyed drone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EyeFlightDrone

Reactions
Hi, I thought I should share my battery pop out experience, so it doesn't happen to you.

I did a routine flight with my m2z with the original battery two years old. The battery popped out when I went into sports mode and increased the speed.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I shouldn't have used the battery because I did notice it was swollen. It still fit securely, but proved not to be safe.

The full story is here:

Hi, I thought I should share my battery pop out experience, so it doesn't happen to you.

I did a routine flight with my m2z with the original battery two years old. The battery popped out when I went into sports mode and increased the speed.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I shouldn't have used the battery because I did notice it was swollen. It still fit securely, but proved not to be safe.

The full story is here:

Hard lesson.... and expensive.
Thanks for sharing. It should help new drone owners realize that any swelling of a battery should ground it from any flights.

sorry for the loss of your drone, and admitting it was your fault,if it stops others from the same fate then your post will have been worth it

Feels like I always have to learn the hard way, but in reality, I'm pretty lucky. Somehow the drone and the battery didn't hit anyone or anyone's car or house. In reality I could have killed someone. I always check when flying over that particular field, but the battery shot out before I had even reached it. Thank God nobody got hurt.

Feels like I always have to learn the hard way, but in reality, I'm pretty lucky. Somehow the drone and the battery didn't hit anyone or anyone's car or house. In reality I could have killed someone. I always check when flying over that particular field, but the battery shot out before I had even reached it. Thank God nobody got hurt.

Thanks for sharing.

A reminder of why it is irresponsible to fly in dense urban areas where flights are over people or traffic. One never knows what could go badly wrong or when.

When a battery is slightly swollen cold, it still may fit in the drone "securely". But once it warms up from flying, it will swell even more and likely built up enough pressure on the retainers that they popped loose. So the rule should be, if it shows any swelling at all, retire it. Batteries are expensive, but broken drones (or worse) are far more expensive...

Yeah, but it was time for a new drone. :cool:

The evo2 6k looks much better than m2z. And the battery can't fall out!

Yeah, but it was time for a new drone. :cool:

The evo2 6k looks much better than m2z. And the battery can't fall out!

Since there are no comprehensive reviews yet and it lacks many capabilities of the M2s what makes you say it is much better?"

Since there are no comprehensive reviews yet and it lacks many capabilities of the M2s what makes you say it is much better?"
What capabilities will the Evo 2 lack in comparison with the M2P? Genuinely curious, as the Evo 2 is on my radar, or I may just wait for the next Mavic, whatever the one with the recently leaked photos is supposed to be.

i dont think its about any comparisons between the DJI or Evo platforms
it doesn't matter how good the proposed specs are,they need the firmware to be able to run them
and as we all know when a new drone hits the market, there is always a delay between what the drone is capable of, and what we actually get
any new drone is an unknown quantity,until it has been proven by the public at large the consumer
yes there are some wonderful videos that selected testers put up on the web
but they very rarely match up to the experiences that the consumer encounters in real world use
this post is not intended to be a slur on these testers,just commenting on past experiences

i dont think its about any comparisons between the DJI or Evo platforms
it doesn't matter how good the proposed specs are,they need the firmware to be able to run them
and as we all know when a new drone hits the market, there is always a delay between what the drone is capable of, and what we actually get
any new drone is an unknown quantity,until it has been proven by the public at large the consumer
yes there are some wonderful videos that selected testers put up on the web
but they very rarely match up to the experiences that the consumer encounters in real world use
this post is not intended to be a slur on these testers,just commenting on past experiences

True, and you have to think about can you actually get the drone in some countries, I was looking at Skidio out of interest, they are only sold in the US.
Seems they can't be massed produced in numbers to satisfy a World market.
Then there is back up and servicing, parts, repairs, can they be gotten easily Worldwide like DJI.
Distribution, parts, and service are vital for something like a mass produced drone, and with massive market share, DJI has this sewn up.

Reactions: old man mavic
Let’s stay on topic guys.;)

What capabilities will the Evo 2 lack in comparison with the M2P? Genuinely curious, as the Evo 2 is on my radar, or I may just wait for the next Mavic, whatever the one with the recently leaked photos is supposed to be.

Little to no 3rd party support. None of the best mission planners for autonomous flights will work with any Autel drone. Mapping is scarce for Autel. Very limited set of built in flight modes. Missing other neat things like focus peaking.

That is not to say that the E2P probably does not have its virtues. I have one on order. But would not choose it as my only drone over the M2P. You just need to know your current and future needs. Different tools in the tool box.

i dont think there's much more to say on the subject ,the only way to prevent such an event ,is not to use the battery for flight as we have already established

Reactions: Thomas B and parkgt
I noticed the swollen battery issue with the m2 pro that I have also.
Tossed all of them and replaced with new.
The swelling was slight when I first noticed it, but the real clue was a message that appeared that the battery wasn’t latched.

Reactions: Capt KO

The full story is here:

I discard swollen batteries but with the good batteries I use a velcro strap to secure it to the body.am I fooling myself or is that helpful?

Reactions: SFC117
This battery problem is more and more recurrent! I noticed that my first battery tended to come off a few weeks ago ... Since then, I only use it with a velcro fastener for fear that it will come off in flight ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929