DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC 2 ENTERPRISE

Giovanni

Reactions
I know the enterprise works on thermal and temperature difference. Where I work they are about to pay to have a thermal scan of the roof (not done by drone) that is able to tell if the new roof has moisture areas underneath. Would the enterprise be able to do that?
I am asking since that test is $3000....

The thing is are you certified in Thermography?
That's another 3K.

Reactions: pelagic_one
So I’m just curious...would someone certified in Thermography be able to utilize the M2E for the job described by the OP?

no I am not, I would be doing it as a favor to my employer. I am just asking if the unit is capable of that...

It could.
It is used for that, but I don't know if for some reason your case is special.
I am not a certified thermographer, but I have done other types roof inspections and there a certain required shots you need.

You would need the Enterprise Dual. It would show differences in heat which could be caused by a number of factors (uneven insulation, air flow, etc). A decent description of the process can be found HERE. More than one article states that the experience of the operator has a lot to do with the accuracy of the survey.

I think that moisture levels underneath would not be an exact find. the roof temp diffrences might lead you to certain areas, but it won't find actual moisture. IDT?

I'd tend to agree, even though I have no thermal test knowledge, it'd be hard to imagine just moisture inside a roof space could be detected by such a a fairly low spec flir camera the M2E has fitted. . . . that is testing by flying outside.
Heat from sun, shade, all sorts of things to deal with.

It'd be interesting to know how the $3000 scan would be conducted.
I'd imagine internally perhaps with some sort of actual moisture sensitive detection, and moved to strategic places.
Moisture in a roof should gather at the highest points after evaporation, it must be a tightly enclosed space like a sealed tin / iron sheet roof, rather than something more aerated like a tiled roof.

Reactions: Aircrew Views
I know the enterprise works on thermal and temperature difference. Where I work they are about to pay to have a thermal scan of the roof (not done by drone) that is able to tell if the new roof has moisture areas underneath. Would the enterprise be able to do that?
I am asking since that test is $3000....

The Infrared camera should be able to see some color changes on the roof, a lighter color than the rest of the roof is what you would be looking for.

Try it on your own roof , get a hose and just wet the Roof in one area and use your drone and the camera to see the color change first.

Once you get a sense what that looks like you may be able to do a quick run of there roof and point out some areas that show a lighter color and that can than be inspected closer .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain
Coal

The Infrared camera should be able to see some color changes on the roof, a lighter color than the rest of the roof is what you would be looking for.

Try it on your own roof , get a hose and just wet the Roof in one area and use your drone and the camera to see the color change first.

Cooling the roof externally like that would naturally cool the roofing material, and show up on the flir.
If moisture is simply sitting inside a roof, the temp difference might not be present, the moisture will be same temp as internal air, heating up at same speed with the heat from the sun etc.

The OP needs to try this on a roof that is confirmed to have moisture inside, then perhaps go fly it at some various times.
Eg. flying early morning might see the moisture inside condensated on the roof, and if flown shortly after sunrise, there may be some temp level difference to see in the flir when the sun first hits the roof, and the materials warm up quicker where no moisture is present inside.

Pretty complicated to get right, I feel the M2E flir might not quite be powerful enough for such detection, it might require a much higher spec flir.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Cooling the roof externally like that would naturally cool the roofing material, and show up on the flir.
If moisture is simply sitting inside a roof, the temp difference might not be present, the moisture will be same temp as internal air, heating up at same speed with the heat from the sun etc.

The OP needs to try this on a roof that is confirmed to have moisture inside, then perhaps go fly it at some various times.
Eg. flying early morning might see the moisture inside condensated on the roof, and if flown shortly after sunrise, there may be some temp level difference to see in the flir when the sun first hits the roof, and the materials warm up quicker where no moisture is present inside.

Pretty complicated to get right, I feel the M2E flir might not quite be powerful enough for such detection, it might require a much higher spec flir.

I agree , that is why i suggested the demo of the water on the roof because it may not even pick that up as I have yet to try that.
The last one I purchased had to be sent back as these our getting harder to get and much longer wait times to boot.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I used to be certified by ITC in thermography, but my certification has lapsed. Thermography is a bit more complex than flying over a roof with a MED. I have a thermal camera and the settings on the camera allows me to make several adjustments, for example for emissivity, which functionality is a lacking in the thermal camera on my MED. You will be able distinguish hot spots from cold spots on the roof, but that does not necessarily equate to water ingress. A steel bar underneath roof waterproofing may appear as a cold spot early in the morning, but as one of the member referred to in this chain, in the later afternoon when the sun has beaten down on that roof, it will appear to be a hotspot. You would probably be able to do some real basic report to your employer (cold spots v hot spots), but nothing like a real thermo camera can.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
The $3000 roof scan might also be done from the inside of it's accessible, as well as the outside.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ