DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 got caught in an unexpected downpour

RickMC

Reactions
I was flying today and while there was rain in the forecast it wasn’t expected to start much later than when I was flying. But it unexpectedly started to pour while I had my Mavic 2 in the air. I landed it but it was in the rain for a few minutes. It was very wet when I landed it and I dried it off right away. Do you think it will be OK or is there something else I need to do to make sure I didn’t get any water damage? Thanks!

Reactions: Dronage
Motors spin fast enough to displace water in that area, but as post#2 says, get after it with a hair dryer on low heat.
Park in front of a big fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Van Shteffy
I’d rather not do the rice thing. I noticed that no water got into the inside of the battery port. If the motors displace the water then I’m not sure where water could have gotten inside the drone. I’m a little worried about the effects of the water on the gimbal and camera. I dried the drone with low heat and then a fan. It seems fine.

I’d rather not do the rice thing. I noticed that no water got into the inside of the battery port. If the motors displace the water then I’m not sure where water could have gotten inside the drone. I’m a little worried about the effects of the water on the gimbal and camera. I dried the drone with low heat and then a fan. It seems fine.

A) Rice works splendidly but is slow
B) The blades merely cut the drops and make them into MIST.... they don't displace the water. Keep in mind the aircraft is designed to control the flow of air in and around the aircraft for HEAT dissipation. I would be concerned about this WET air inside. That's just how I tend to think and when it comes to electronics water LETS THE MAGIC SMOKE out! Once it's out it's gone.

I'd personally put the unit in a container with desiccant or dried rice for several days just to be on the safe side.

I’ve read that brushless motors are fine if they get wet. I could be wrong though but I’ve read a lot of posts stating brushless motors can get wet and be just fine.
But the circuit boards remain a problem for corrosion regardless. Recommend a desssicant as suggested above.... hope it’s there already as time can be an issue in the situation described.

Reactions: JS1600
But the circuit boards remain a problem for corrosion regardless. Recommend a desssicant as suggested above.... hope it’s there already as time can be an issue in the situation described.
In what ways can water get into the main circuit board? When I landed there was no water on any vents or openings, just on the arms and body of the drone and the camera. Water didn’t even get into the battery port. The underside of the battery was completely dry.

In what ways can water get into the main circuit board? When I landed there was no water on any vents or openings, just on the arms and body of the drone and the camera. Water didn’t even get into the battery port. The underside of the battery was completely dry.

You may be right, but do you want to take that chance?

I do hope your bird flies again

You may be right, but do you want to take that chance?

I do hope your bird flies again
It flew just fine a few minutes ago. I didn’t have any rice or those packets yesterday and I didn’t have time to go get them. I guess I’ll do that today.

Through the ventilation ports on the sides that provide cooling air to the circuit boards.

Since there was no water in the battery compartment, you should be OK, especially if by now the gimbal operates properly and video image is clean.

The only damage water can do to brushless motors is with the bearings. They are at least semi-sealed and would take long term submersion to be damaged.

Through the ventilation ports on the sides that provide cooling air to the circuit boards.
Since those are on the side and the propellers were moving, the rain wasn’t directly hitting them. I completely understand if the whole drone was immersed in water. I’m sure some moisture got in them in my case but they weren’t covered in water when I landed. But I’ll play it safe. But should I have done the rice thing right away? Waiting a day later will it still help?

Since there was no water in the battery compartment, you should be OK, especially if by now the gimbal operates properly and video image is clean.

The only damage water can do to brushless motors is with the bearings. They are at least semi-sealed and would take long term submersion to be damaged.
Yep just flew it today and the image quality is clean and gimbal works just fine.

Since those are on the side and the propellers were moving, the rain wasn’t directly hitting them. I completely understand if the whole drone was immersed in water. I’m sure some moisture got in them in my case but they weren’t covered in water when I landed. But I’ll play it safe. But should I have done the rice thing right away? Waiting a day later will it still help?
Most use a dessicant for several days... not sure, but can’t hurt.

I am not a fan of adding rice dust to wet parts so am off to order rechargable dessicant.
the barska color changing one looks interesting...okay gimicky and i like it

Last edited:
Reactions: 4wd
I am not a fan of adding rice dust to wet parts so am off to order rechargable dessicant.
Rice really is a bad idea for this reason - dust.
Just put it somewhere warm and dry for a few days, I see no need for desiccant.
The motors will be fine they get just as damp if you fly in fog or cloud.
The circuit boards won't be adversely affected by brief splashes unless you're very unlucky, rainwater is effectively distilled water so unlikely to even leave a problematic deposit after it dries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580