DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 lands in the Water : Rescue Jacket saves the Drone.

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
One of my clients sent this in to show just how easy it is to Sink Your Mavic 2 pro from a boat.

Setting a Return to Home on a boat is difficult to do when the boat is constantly in a drift or moving and so is
landing the drone , even for seasoned pilots . Its like rolling the dice, you may win a lot but not every time.

The saving grace is the Client had the Rescue Jacket on the drone, but not before getting side swiped by two boats.

One being a sail boat and the other boat being his boat trying to recoup the drone from the water.

Notice the Camera was facing straight down , but the Rescue Jacket managed to keep the drone upright and the Wet Suit kept the drone Bone dry.

You can also see the moment the drone started its Return to home and forced landing.

Very Cool ,

Once the Drone Lands on the Water , you can only see camera facing down in the water for the remainder of the video.

Here is the chat :) Thanks Larry.

2021-09-10_11h47_24.png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and land on the Ocean
Screenshot 08-29-2020 11.22.58.jpg

Forum Members get a nice Discount and Package on the Wet Suit and the Rescue Jacket.
email me at [email protected]

That return to home point does not mess around , that was quick. Obviously some mistakes were made by the OP but what a nice save and testimonial to the Rescue jacket. It would have been nice to see the camera view of the other boat. or just some pictures.

One of my clients sent this in to show just how easy it is to Sink Your Mavic 2 pro from a boat.

Setting a Return to Home on a boat is difficult to do when the boat is constantly in a drift or moving and so is
landing the drone , even for seasoned pilots . Its like rolling the dice, you may win a lot but not every time.

The saving grace is the Client had the Rescue Jacket on the drone, but not before getting side swiped by two boats.

One being a sail boat and the other boat being his boat trying to recoup the drone from the water.

Notice the Camera was facing straight down , but the Rescue Jacket managed to keep the drone upright and the Wet Suit kept the drone Bone dry.

You can also see the moment the drone started its Return to home and forced landing.

Very Cool ,

Once the Drone Lands on the Water , you can only see camera facing down in the water for the remainder of the video.

View attachment 134701

Phantomrain.org
View attachment 134702

Forum Members get a nice Discount and Package on the Wet Suit and the Rescue Jacket.
I guess it was a good advertisement for you, but waiting over 5 min. for something to happen, looking down at water from an unskilled pilot was not necessary.

That return to home point does not mess around , that was quick. Obviously some mistakes were made by the OP but what a nice save and testimonial to the Rescue jacket. It would have been nice to see the camera view of the other boat. or just some pictures.
No, low battery RTH doesn’t mess around at all. It took off that direction and I immediately realized that I’d forgot to set it to be the controller. 3 of us on the boat and we were all preoccupied with getting fishing lines out of the water to run over and pick it up before it got ran over again so didn’t get any pictures other than the drone camera. I was too worried about getting to it to mess with setting the camera back to 0 either. It was panic and mayhem for a few minutes.
I guess it was a good advertisement for you, but waiting over 5 min. for something to happen, looking down at water from an unskilled pilot was not necessary.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

Sorry I had Posted in Bold : Once the Drone Lands on the Water , you can only see camera facing down in the water for the remainder of the video.

But it was interesting to see the punishment that the camera did take. If it would have been a few seconds , but this was much longer and good for those that do fly in the rain to see how well the camera negotiates the water.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Save your drone on the Water.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter_k

Very Cool ,

View attachment 134701

Phantomrain.org
View attachment 134702

Not sure what was going on here. Drone just randomly flying around and were the turning points gimbal position changes or turns/yaw of the drone ? Why not just fly it manually and land it wherever you want it on the boat or get it close to you and grab it with your hand ?

Not sure what was going on here. Drone just randomly flying around and were the turning points gimbal position changes or turns/yaw of the drone ? Why not just fly it manually and land it wherever you want it on the boat or get it close to you and grab it with your hand ?
This was my drone and the following is what happened: due to errors on my part the drone would not land. I am fluent at hand launching/catching both on the dry and from this boat. I made several attempts to do so with plenty of battery left to get it down. I even tried to land it on the boat top. I have hand launched and retrieved from this boat several times previously in similar conditions. This video was from the last portion and was shared in hopes that other people would learn from my mistakes as well as for testimony for the products.
My 1st mistake: I failed to disable the downward sensors and the drone would not land due to the reflection from both the boat and the water.
I started bringing it in at 35% battery and didn’t realize what was going on soon enough which was my 2nd mistake. The 3rd mistake was not updating the homepoint.
The point of the post is that even though the drone RTH 1/4mi away, landed on the water and was hit by a passing sailboat after landing, it remained floating and completely dry to live to fly again. Had it not been for the PhantomRain products, the drone wouldve been ruined, if even retrievable.

Reactions: Hunter_k
All of the turns were yaw movements trying to keep it moving in attempt to successfully had catch it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000