DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 lost control and went sideways into my house

Wildlyfe200

Reactions
I have no clue why my mavic 2 decided to veer left and crash into my house. I'm sure some how it was my fault but if I cannot control the drone. I'm in a jam. I was in active track and forgot to turn it off. The drone initiated a RTH (while still in active track and I tried to cancel it. I couldn't see a red X on the screen to cancel because I was in an intelligent flight mode. From seeing the flight data all I can assume is that the OA sensor saw something and it ducked towards the house. What gets me though is that OA should have been disabled during landing. I will attach my log.txt file and would like to know what happened. Thanks.

Also at 18m 28.3 sec I had another loss of control that was really odd but it seemed like the drone recovered and everything was ok and then I had the other incident. I also think i had APAS on.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-06-24_[20-01-40].txt
    998.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I have no clue why my mavic 2 decided to veer left and crash into my house. I'm sure some how it was my fault but if I cannot control the drone. I'm in a jam. I was in active track and forgot to turn it off. The drone initiated a RTH (while still in active track and I tried to cancel it. I couldn't see a red X on the screen to cancel because I was in an intelligent flight mode. From seeing the flight data all I can assume is that the OA sensor saw something and it ducked towards the house. What gets me though is that OA should have been disabled during landing. I will attach my log.txt file and would like to know what happened. Thanks.

Also at 18m 28.3 sec I had another loss of control that was really odd but it seemed like the drone recovered and everything was ok and then I had the other incident. I also think i had APAS on.
Here's what your flight data looks like:

It looks like your crash problem starts at 21:37.2 when the drone is 8 feet above the ground and autodescending.
You've decided that you don't like where the drone is going and start to fight the autodescent with full stick movement of the aileron and rudder control to rotate and move the drone sideways.

<note> It's a good idea to pick a home point where an autolanding isn't going to run into obstacles
Fighting an automated flight mode is not likely to work well because the drone is going to continue going the way the programming is driving it.
If you don't like where it's going, you need to cancel the automated flight mode.
The fastest way to do that is always to flich the flight mode switch out of P-GPS and back.
It takes a fraction of a second.

You continued fighting and the drone continued descending and trying to get back to the home point.
At 21:40.9 you added more left stick to attempt speed the descent.
The impact happened at 21:41.7.

I can't see any problem at 18:28.3 in the recorded flight data.
You'd have to give more information to help find what you are concerned about there.

I've always been able to deviate from home point during landing without it trying to go back to the original home point. It's designed to let you do that.

Reactions: Thomas B
I've always been able to deviate from home point during landing without it trying to go back to the original home point. It's designed to let you do that.
If you don't cancel the autolanding, you can fight it, but it won't give up.

Here's what your flight data looks like:

It looks like your crash problem starts at 21:37.2 when the drone is 8 feet above the ground and autodescending.
You've decided that you don't like where the drone is going and start to fight the autodescent with full stick movement of the aileron and rudder control to rotate and move the drone sideways.

<note> It's a good idea to pick a home point where an autolanding isn't going to run into obstacles
Fighting an automated flight mode is not likely to work well because the drone is going to continue going the way the programming is driving it.
If you don't like where it's going, you need to cancel the automated flight mode.
The fastest way to do that is always to flich the flight mode switch out of P-GPS and back.
It takes a fraction of a second.

You continued fighting and the drone continued descending and trying to get back to the home point.
At 21:40.9 you added more left stick to attempt speed the descent.
The impact happened at 21:41.7.

I can't see any problem at 18:28.3 in the recorded flight data.
You'd have to give more information to help find what you are concerned about there.

If you don't cancel the autolanding, you can fight it, but it won't give up.
I routinely do manual adjusting of landing point on my M2P... did it 4 times yesterday. Drone was autolanding in each instance (I’m lazy some days) and I adjusted landing point to avoid new debris with one easy, brief stick movement and release. No fighting with the drone required. No cancellation of autolanding.
Do I misunderstand?

I routinely do manual adjusting of landing point on my M2P... did it 4 times yesterday. Drone was autolanding in each instance (I’m lazy some days) and I adjusted landing point to avoid new debris with one easy, brief stick movement and release. No fighting with the drone required. No cancellation of autolanding.
Do I misunderstand?
Perhaps you are just pressing the autoland button and the drone is only trying to land and not aim for any particular point.
But if you are in the autoland phase of RTH, the drone is trying to land on the launch point.
If it is blown off or you steer it off, it's going to fight to recover it's landing on the target point unless you cancel the RTH autolanding.

Perhaps you are just pressing the autoland button and the drone is only trying to land and not aim for any particular point.
But if you are in the autoland phase of RTH, the drone is trying to land on the launch point.
If it is blown off or you steer it off, it's going to fight to recover it's landing on the target point unless you cancel the RTH autolanding.
True , the drone will fight the wind, but not any controller inputs. That’s what M2P does.
Even when precision autolanding is enabled it is simple and quick to make small (< 3-4 feet) adjustments to landing point that remain after the stick is released. This with a (precision or regilar) home point and autolanding. I do not abort the autolanding to do this.

Ok i see what happened now i was able to get down lower next to my house by "fighting" the auto-landing and then it decided to go where ever it originally recorded its home point to be which caused it veer left and to hit my house. Moving the positioning switch is a great tip to get out of auto-landing or an intelligent flight mode asap. I didn't think about that. I was looking for the red X to cancel auto-landing but it was no where to be found on my screen I assume because i was in an intelligent flight mode (active track).

At 18:28.3 i was in active track and it felt like that drone was not responding properly to my stick movements. I was getting the message "Braking now. Return sticks to midpoints, then continue flying". I got that message a few times then everything seemed ok.

I am starting to see some of these intelligent flight modes are not that intelligent and I need to be in control or be ready to bail out instantly and take control.

Luckily no major damage just some props and couple scratches.

It was trying to land due to low battery warning that initiated the autolanding

True , the drone will fight the wind, but not any controller inputs. That’s what M2P does.
Even when precision autolanding is enabled it is simple and quick to make small (< 3-4 feet) adjustments to landing point that remain after the stick is released. This with a (precision or regilar) home point and autolanding. I do not abort the autolanding to do this.
I think you might be missing the point TB.
If it is in RTH landing, it will try to land at the HP.
You move the AC with the sticks, it will try to go back to the HP.
Unless you cancel RTH, it will try to RTH???

this is what i experienced and why i had a crash. I was not able to cancel because i have always canceled by tapping the red X on screen which was not there because I was also in active track so I did not show the red X to cancel and i did now know how to cancel it any other way.

Looking at your flight log, I dont think you were in an automated mode.
You briefly lost all GPS health, but that could have been the crash???
Cancelling RTH is as simple as push and hold the RTH button again...

It is best practice to not fly to the point of, "only enough battery to return to home". However, if you do, you must make sure to keep the aircraft were you can easily get it back to you.

I understand what is being posted. I do not have to cancel the RTH landing to adjust actual landing point. My drone does not resist or try to go back to the recorded position. I did it 5 times within the last 24 hours. I know the position was recorded as precision landing was enabled as I got screen and auditory feedback of same.

I do not make large adjustments... maybe 2-3 feet in landing point during a pilot initiated RTH or a low battery forced landing, but I do not have to abort RTH landing to make my M2P land in a slightly different place and I only have to make a quick adjustment with the stick, not holding it or forcing. I only give the command once. I don’t make these adjustments until my M2P has reached the slowing down at about 4 ft altitude. I am using a CS. Wonder if that makes the difference?

Reactions: Simmo
I do not make large adjustments... maybe 2-3 feet in landing point during a pilot initiated RTH or a low battery forced landing, but I do not have to abort RTH landing to make my M2P land in a slightly different place and I only have to make a quick adjustment with the stick, not holding it or forcing. I only give the command once. I don’t make these adjustments until my M2P has reached the slowing down at about 4 ft altitude. I am using a CS. Wonder if that makes the difference?

it is a matter of a personal preference, but, as i was burned by bad gps pucks in the past - way i do it is to initiate return to home - again - mostly out of laziness, but then as you see and hear drone coming closer toward you - I always cancel RTH and manually drive it home. why - because sometimes when you lower it down the quality of gps feed deteriorates - you do not see the sat count to drop, but if you dig deeper, the horizontal position and velocity goes to hell and it may result in some erratic movements when drone gets lower than 10-9ft. overall it is simply safer not to rely on what happens during that last step of auto landing.
despite all that said above - gps units in both my mavics is simply excellent and exceed all $30-$60 gps m8n units i have on my other models. i have really spotty gps next to my front lawn - i rarely get more than 6-8 sats on those M8Ns there, but DJI gets to 13 almost immediately and is dead steady at hover.

it is a matter of a personal preference, but, as i was burned by bad gps pucks in the past - way i do it is to initiate return to home - again - mostly out of laziness, but then as you see and hear drone coming closer toward you - I always cancel RTH and manually drive it home. why - because sometimes when you lower it down the quality of gps feed deteriorates - you do not see the sat count to drop, but if you dig deeper, the horizontal position and velocity goes to hell and it may result in some erratic movements when drone gets lower than 10-9ft. overall it is simply safer not to rely on what happens during that last step of auto landing.
despite all that said above - gps units in both my mavics is simply excellent and exceed all $30-$60 gps m8n units i have on my other models. i have really spotty gps next to my front lawn - i rarely get more than 6-8 sats on those M8Ns there, but DJI gets to 13 almost immediately and is dead steady at hover.
I see the logic and agree with your plan given <10 satellites.
I will qualify my post with the info that in the flight area where I am most commonly, I get 16 - 18 satellites when on the ground and have had as many as 20 once airborne and flying around.

I see the logic and agree with your plan given <10 satellites.
I will qualify my post with the info that in the flight area where I am most commonly, I get 16 - 18 satellites when on the ground and have had as many as 20 once airborne and flying around.
may be, i just do not trust it. again, just today - i picked up from the center of my lawn, got to level of 70m, took some shots, then started lowering down. no yaw, no back/forth - just up and then straight down. on left side from front lawn there are wires, on right side is the tree. so, as i got bird lower i can see that is moved about of 6-5ft to the right, just enough to hit that one branch that was clear off on the way up. nothing is perfect...

Reactions: Thomas B

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos