DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Precision Landing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fozzzy

Reactions
So contrary to the stacks and stacks of comments and reviews i,ve seen about how people are miffed Precision Landing has still yet to be added in firmware, I have had the M2Pro up most of the afternoon and each of the 6 or so times it’s landed it has been within 10cms of take off on the pad. The only thing I did different today was calibrated the IMU before heading out. Now I understand why people would like to see PL added to M2 firmware but surely that’s accurate enough for anyone?
The one thing I have confirmed today is upgrading from the Mavic Air was definitely the right thing to do, I absolutely love this thing [emoji7][emoji7]

Was there a particular reason for the imu calibration?

Don’t think I would ever use PL, I always manual land/takeoff so it’s not relevant to me. I can see it’s advantages with some flyers but no doubt there will be a firmware update for it soon;)

Don’t think I would ever use PL, I always manual land/takeoff so it’s not relevant to me. I can see it’s advantages with some flyers but no doubt there will be a firmware update for it soon;)
me neither really i always bring her home , it was just a bit of a test to see how close it was as I'd never tried auto return home on the M2

So, you didn’t get any message or warning that the imu was having an issue?

Reactions: mfishhead
So, you didn’t get any message or warning that the imu was having an issue?
No none at all, just calibrated it all up. It may have had nothing to do with the accuracy as i didnt try it before, but it was spot on the entire session after ;)

Yea I'm with on this one. The amount of complaining about precision landing, portrait mode, fixed wing mode, etc has been amazing to me. They were all modes that I'm guessing most people rarely used.

Reactions: JohnC and fozzzy
And have you read somewhere that calibrating is a good thing to do just to say you did it?

And have you read somewhere that calibrating is a good thing to do just to say you did it?
No, but I do remember watching someone compare landing before and after calibration on a youtube review, may have been 51drones and think it was an air, but could have been a Mavic Pro but not sure, I've slept since then. How can making sure your quads calibrated be a bad thing?

You may want to do some research on that subject.

You mentioned in your previous post that you viewed a YouTube video that had something to do with someone calibrating for some issue involving landing. Do you remember which sensor they were referring to? Another question would be have you seen something that ties an imu to precision landing? Just trying to find out if I’ve missed a source of information that would go along with how calibrating an imu can be beneficial with no obvious symptoms of a fault or a warning of some kind.

You mentioned in your previous post that you viewed a YouTube video that had something to do with someone calibrating for some issue involving landing. Do you remember which sensor they were referring to? Another question would be have you seen something that ties an imu to precision landing? Just trying to find out if I’ve missed a source of information that would go along with how calibrating an imu can be beneficial with no obvious symptoms of a fault or a warning of some kind.

In the video he didn't have a problem as such, Just wanted to see if calibrating the IMU made the Precision landing more accurate, which it did, a lot.

If that video solved an issue that you were having, that works. What I’ve seen and read is of a different opinion.

I believe 51 drones got more landing accuracy after calibration. I think that was for Air with PL turned off.

You can't fault OP for calibrating IMU without specific cause. Many on this forum and elsewhere tout calibration after purchasing/receiving. Me personally, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I seem to never get calibrations right on anything compared to factory.

I have read more that think not than think do. Maybe my info is incorrect. Not faulting anyone. Just thought it was odd that there were no indicators that said there was a problem.

My opinion on this matter is very mixed. I personally dont think PL is coming and whoever mentioned it is full of crap. I will say even on the MP1 it was not always very reliable, when it worked it worked great, but if you left it without monitoring, you could very easily find your drone attempting to land on some trees nearby. I also found it took too long to land when I could land it much faster. For those reasons I didnt use it often. Still nice to have and I dont see why DJI removed it in the first place.

I dont use OA either, doesnt mean it should also be removed.

Reactions: WAXMAN
I believe 51 drones got more landing accuracy after calibration. I think that was for Air with PL turned off.
Recalibrating things won't have any effect on what causes RTH landing inaccuracy.
People just don't understand that GPS doesn't give pinpoint accuracy and has a random small error in the positions it gives.
Use RTH to land your drone 10 times and it could land at 10 slightly different positions that can be several feet apart.

Reactions: Ottobob and WAXMAN
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute