DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro battery's Swelling with low charges all made in July 2018

BIGLUG24

Reactions
Has anyone had Mavic 2 Pro battery's go bad after less then one year of use I have heard of 9 now in the last two weeks.
They have very low charges on them 25 or so on some. They are swelling and puffing up and will not lock in place in the drone
Thanks

Take your pick:

Has anyone had Mavic 2 Pro battery's go bad after less then one year of use I have heard of 9 now in the last two weeks.
They have very low charges on them 25 or so on some. They are swelling and puffing up and will not lock in place in the drone
Thanks
Where do you storage your batteries when not in use.i had a phantom battery that did that but had it in a room that was very hot during the day and I’m thinking that what happened they do do well in the heat

Reactions: jimlips
Thanks
Yes, me. When I got the Mavic 2 Pro as soon as it was available, I also got the Fly More kit, so I had 3 batteries. About a month or two later I bought a fourth battery. All three of the fist group have bulges on the bottom. The last battery does not. I'm not crazy about the way the first three lock into the drone. I'm afraid to fly with them. If a battery pops out during flight or even loosens and loses contact, you're completely screwed. No RTH, no nothing. It becomes a rock. I'm sure the first batch of batteries for the Mavic 2 are bad. None of these batteries has more that 15 flights and charges on them. Does anyone have experience with what DJI's response is to this?

I just checked, of the three swollen batteries, two were made in July '18 and one in August '18. The good one was made in November "18.

Last edited:
It seems DJI's "response" was to enable the ability to change the days to discharge, and change the default number of days to 5 rather than 10.

I'm not sure if they changed the default to 5 for everyone or just for M2. Either way, seems like evidence they know they have an issue but won't own up to it. After all, 10 days has been default at least since P3 release at least 4 years ago.

Last edited:
Mavic 2 Pro Fly More Kit purchased ~ 11+ months ago. July 2018 Batteries all at or under 30 charges;

Apple (DJI Support)
10月19日 CST01:29
Dear James,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We appreciate your time and effort in bringing this inquiry. We will be happy to help you.

Regarding your concern, upon checking on the information of your three batteries on our system, we found out that they are all out of the warranty period. Base on our After-Sales Policy, we only have a 6 months warranty for battery.

We strongly suggest purchasing and new batteries
on our online store or at any local seller near you.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Should you have any questions or other concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you for choosing DJI! Our goal is to provide you the best customer service you only deserve.
Best regards,
Apple
DJI Technical Customer Support
YouTube: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Side Note: DJI, realizing the problem, issued a Firmware Update where you can change the discharge from the 10 days down to 1 day if you so wish.

I also have 3 batteries manufactured in Juy 2018. 2 of them started swelling and they only have 30 and 25 charges.

I also have 3 batteries manufactured in Juy 2018. 2 of them started swelling and they only have 30 and 25 charges.
I Suggest you File a Support Claim with DJI regardless of the date of Purchase.
We can all state that this is a known issue especially within those dates of manufacture.

I also had purchased the Mavic 2 Pro with the flymore kit when it first came out. I had three batteries from July and August of 2018. All three were swollen. I called DJI and got the exact same response as MedicFL1 did in post #6, above: Too bad, batteries only have a 6 month warranty. Being unsatisfied with that answer, I opened a chat with DJI support. I told them about the problem and they were completely different than the phone support people. They wanted the info about the batteries that you can get with the DJI Go4 app, where it will show the number of times the battery was charged, its serial number and date of manufacture. Then, a day later they asked me for a video of the batteries on a flat surface, where I could show how they would rock and wobble on their swollen bottom. That was easy to get. I put it up on YouTube, and sent them the link. A day or two later, the engineers got back to me saying that they did not want the old batteries back, as they were too dangerous to ship. I should disposed of them locally, and they would send me three new ones, free of charge. The invoice showed $477 dollars, which was zeroed out, and two days later, I had three new batteries. They know that batch of batteries was NG. Hopefully., all of you with those batteries will get them replaced as I did. That's good service.

Reactions: Stacy
Makes me wish I hadn't pulled apart my battery #3. I guess I can put in a case for battery #². Battery 1 has some swelling but hardly perceptible at room temperature.

I also had purchased the Mavic 2 Pro with the flymore kit when it first came out. I had three batteries from July and August of 2018. All three were swollen. I called DJI and got the exact same response as MedicFL1 did in post #6, above: Too bad, batteries only have a 6 month warranty. Being unsatisfied with that answer, I opened a chat with DJI support. I told them about the problem and they were completely different than the phone support people. They wanted the info about the batteries that you can get with the DJI Go4 app, where it will show the number of times the battery was charged, its serial number and date of manufacture. Then, a day later they asked me for a video of the batteries on a flat surface, where I could show how they would rock and wobble on their swollen bottom. That was easy to get. I put it up on YouTube, and sent them the link. A day or two later, the engineers got back to me saying that they did not want the old batteries back, as they were too dangerous to ship. I should disposed of them locally, and they would send me three new ones, free of charge. The invoice showed $477 dollars, which was zeroed out, and two days later, I had three new batteries. They know that batch of batteries was NG. Hopefully., all of you with those batteries will get them replaced as I did. That's good service.

Yep they replaced all three of mine as well.

Reactions: Thomas B
Makes me wish I hadn't pulled apart my battery #3. I guess I can put in a case for battery #². Battery 1 has some swelling but hardly perceptible at room temperature.
I couldn't resist tearing one of mine apart as well, although I did wait until they told me they didn't want the bad ones back. I was amazed to find those little tiny switches that sense the position of the retaining parts, so the drone and app will know if the battery is securely inserted. Of course if the battery pops and loses contact while you're flying, you are screwed with or without switches.

Note that both switches are monitored independently, but physically they both seem to show latched if battery is cocked where only one side is unlatched.

I heard of DJI giving in just after I already pulled #3 apart.
It's still usable for ground work. I unintentionally broke the latch sensor leads so it can't fly anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50