DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic 2 pro best video settings

Zatara

Reactions
lately i was shooting a lot of videos with my mavic 2 pro
one of then was on a wonderful snowy mountain on a sunny day and i was shooting 4k 25 fps and shutter speed was about 1/1000
now when i went to post editing the video was really choppy
since then i have been shooting 2.7 k 60 fps
now i use a sandisk 64 gb 60mb/s write speed
1st question : why do u thik the video was choppy is it the memory card and the 4k or the frame rate and the shutter speed ?
2 nd question : what do u think are the best video settings fot the mavic 2 pro ?
is it 60fps 2.7k or the HQ 4 K 25 ? or the normal 30fps 4k ?

Reactions: Bjolly612
1) Neither: if your 4K video is choppy on your computer, it's probably that your computer is not up to editing 4K video. There are metric tons of threads on this site about the subject -- search "choppy video" and "4K video". Changing the frame rate or shutter speed will not change this, though changing the compression and size of the video will (lower rez than 4K, not DLOG h.265) .

2) There is no "best setting". There are numerous kinds of video you can be making with this camera, each of them having their own appropriate settings. But the higher settings will require a very capable computer.

Chris

Reactions: scdronemedia
If you are not using ND filters and shooting with a shutter speed that is 40 times the fps rate you are not going to get great results. Invest in some NDs and get that shutter speed down to 50.

lately i was shooting a lot of videos with my mavic 2 pro
one of then was on a wonderful snowy mountain on a sunny day and i was shooting 4k 25 fps and shutter speed was about 1/1000
now when i went to post editing the video was really choppy
since then i have been shooting 2.7 k 60 fps
now i use a sandisk 64 gb 60mb/s write speed
1st question : why do u thik the video was choppy is it the memory card and the 4k or the frame rate and the shutter speed ?
2 nd question : what do u think are the best video settings fot the mavic 2 pro ?
is it 60fps 2.7k or the HQ 4 K 25 ? or the normal 30fps 4k ?
I noticed the same thing with my setup.

I don't have a 4k TV or a computer that can manage the processing and data. I keep my MP2 set full HD 1080 60fps, this comes out smooth, is manageable and looks great. 4k makes 4x as much information to be processed. I think if you need to film in 4k be prepared to have top spec everything to make it work properly (computer, cards, programmes etc).

Good luck!

As said above, if you want to shoot decent video, you'll need some ND filters. Polar Pro make pretty decent ones. I have them and they offer great image quality. I have three of them, ND 4, ND 8 and ND 16. Using ND filters allows you to keep the ISO low as well as the shutter speed. Without seeing an example of the problem that you're having, it's hard to comment further. However, I can make some generalizations. 24 FPS (in your case, 25 FPS) is generally stuttery even if you follow best film making practice. 30 FPS would be a little better and is typically what I shoot. 60 FPS is going to be better if viewed at that same rate or converted into 24 to 30 FPS as slow motion. Since I'm mixing footage with ground based cams shooting at 30 FPS, that's my usual rate. Many people argue that 24 FPS is more cinematic but I don't buy that. That's really an oversimplification at best. There's so much to be considered when discussing what makes a clip cinematic like lighting, grading, movement, etc. Movement is really important. Really slow movement is your best friend unless you're using high frame rates. Really, really fast movement is also great since you get so much blur and it can be used to transition into another clip that starts with a pan in the same direction. If it's not quite slow or really fast, you're in the jitter zone. For more information, check out this link:

Panning Best Practice

Finally, shooting in 4k has many advantages. If your computer has a hard time working with it, you can transcode it into 1080 in an intermediate codec and work with that. Even transcoding from the H265 the Mavic Pro 2 delivers into 4k using another codec with less compression will allow lesser computers to work with it fine. With my old computer, that was the only way I could work but it was about 10 years old with a first gen i7 processor. Secondly, you can crop 4K to 1080 which gives you a telephoto effect. For example, the first shots on this video Sealions - The Hunt were all shot in 4K. The video was put together on the above computer that routinely crashed editing 4K from the Mavic. However, after transcoding, it was quite workable (remember, if you're shooting in H265, it puts a lot of demand on your computer) and it allowed me to crop in and make it look like the drone was way closer to the sealions than it was. Personally, I would never get that close to wildlife for a shot so I was thankful for being able to crop in. I'd love 8K for that reason but no way I can afford the computer to run that.

I hope that helps. Cheers.

BTW, your card could be the culprit as there are a lot of fakes around. I use Sandisk Extreme Pro v30 cards and have never had that problem. When I first got the M Pro 2 I used a slower card I had for my GoPro and I got serious stuttering in certain cases. Cheers.

---Using ND filters allows you to keep the ISO low as well as the shutter speed.

What does using ND filters have to do with keeping ISO low? If anything they could cause you to have to raise ISO. Lower shutter speed yes, ISO no!

What does using ND filters have to do with keeping ISO low? If anything they could cause you to have to raise ISO. Lower shutter speed yes, ISO no!
Sorry, bad editing and hurrying on my part. I meant to say something about keeping the ISO low to improve image quality (less noise) and instead wrote the messy sentence you brought up. You are correct. Cheers.

Reactions: parkgt
Hi All. Something I didn't realise the M2P records in 4k and I have to manually set it lower because other than setting the yawn and exp settings I have used my bird straight out of the box, it was only when I tried to send the video to my HD tv that it informed me that 3820x2120 was to large for it. Mind I should have realised seeing how large the 5 minute videos were at 3.5GB, no wonder they looked so great on my computer monitor.

What are some good brands of ND filters and can you give me a short rundown on how to use them and setup my settings? Thanks.
Polar Pro has an excellent 6-pack of ND filters on Amazon. I believe they're about $150, no cheap, but well worth the money for good lense protection

Polar Pro has an excellent 6-pack of ND filters on Amazon. I believe they're about $150, no cheap, but well worth the money for good lense protection

The stock clear lens offers good lens protection for no extra money. One does not typically buy NDs for lens protection.

Unless one also needs CPs there is no reason to spend $150 for NDs.

Hi, I'm kind of new at this but I'll give my 2 cents worth. After a lot of trial and error with choppy results myself and tons of searching on Google for better results.
I have had much better results going from 24 fps to 30 fps and filming in "cinematic mode" with ND 16 filter. My setting 30fps 1/60th shutter speed, H265. I have a newer PC that I have had for about a year and a half now with 4K capabilities for viewing and editing.

Reactions: parkgt
Hi, I'm kind of new at this but I'll give my 2 cents worth. After a lot of trial and error with choppy results myself and tons of searching on Google for better results.
I have had much better results going from 24 fps to 30 fps and filming in "cinematic mode" with ND 16 filter. My setting 30fps 1/60th shutter speed, H265. I have a newer PC that I have had for about a year and a half now with 4K capabilities for viewing and editing.

I mostly agree with your observations. The ND 16 is my most used but I will go up or down to keep my aperture at or below f5.6. Just before or just after sunset I often use a 4.

Hi parkgt! You said you mostly agree with my settings. I'm curious as to what you would do differently or add? I'm still learning and always looking for advice.
Thanks!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair