DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Camera VS Mini 3 Pro ?

It's hard to answer that when the Mini 3 isn't even released yet??? Isn't it supposed to be unveiled today? If that's the case, there aren't going to be any members that have real world experience with it yet to give you their opinions on it.

The 1/1.3in sensor in the Mini 3 is a good bit bigger than the sensor in the Mini 2 (1/2.3in) and the Mavic Air 2 (1/2in) but a fair bit smaller than the 1in sensor in the Mavic 2 Pro, these are the surface areas of each sensor to give a better idea:

1/2.3in: 28.5mm²
1/2in: 31mm²
1/1.3in: 69mm²
1in: 116mm²

The Mini 3's lens is around a stop a half faster than the M2P (F1.7 vs F2.8) which should help match or beat the M2P in low light but we'll need to see samples to see how the dynamic range stacks up, the Mini 3 sensor is smaller but it's also a lot newer.

The 48MP is misleading and instead it should be treated as a 12MP sensor as they've split each pixel into four more smaller pixels the same colour so you don't gain any more resolution instead it's intended the extra pixels can be used for better dynamic range and other computational software improvements:

The tech is popular in small sensors but I think the only large sensor using it is the new Olympus OM-1 with a 20MP version (same size as the Mavic 3) but no full reviews on that yet.

One question I would be interested to know is how well the Mini 3 handles wind compared to the M2P as it's often windy here and I'm surprised how well the M2P can handle it.

I had no interest in the Mini 3 originally but have to admit I am toying with the idea although I want to see how the dynamic range compares as that's what is more useful to me on the M2P. I originally wasn't bothered about being able to fly near to people but there's a couple of times recently it could have been handy and if I'm understanding the UK rules properly (and I'm possibly not), even if I get my A2 competency next January the M2P will be downgraded again to A3. Whereas the Mini 3 keeps its A1 category even after January.

The 1/1.3in sensor in the Mini 3 is a good bit bigger than the sensor in the Mini 2 (1/2.3in) and the Mavic Air 2 (1/2in) but a fair bit smaller than the 1in sensor in the Mavic 2 Pro, these are the surface areas of each sensor to give a better idea:

1/2.3in: 28.5mm²
1/2in: 31mm²
1/1.3in: 69mm²
1in: 116mm²

The Mini 3's lens is around a stop a half faster than the M2P (F1.7 vs F2.8) which should help match or beat the M2P in low light but we'll need to see samples to see how the dynamic range stacks up, the Mini 3 sensor is smaller but it's also a lot newer.

The 48MP is misleading and instead it should be treated as a 12MP sensor as they've split each pixel into four more smaller pixels the same colour so you don't gain any more resolution instead it's intended the extra pixels can be used for better dynamic range and other computational software improvements:

The tech is popular in small sensors but I think the only large sensor using it is the new Olympus OM-1 with a 20MP version (same size as the Mavic 3) but no full reviews on that yet.

One question I would be interested to know is how well the Mini 3 handles wind compared to the M2P as it's often windy here and I'm surprised how well the M2P can handle it.

I had no interest in the Mini 3 originally but have to admit I am toying with the idea although I want to see how the dynamic range compares as that's what is more useful to me on the M2P. I originally wasn't bothered about being able to fly near to people but there's a couple of times recently it could have been handy and if I'm understanding the UK rules properly (and I'm possibly not), even if I get my A2 competency next January the M2P will be downgraded again to A3. Whereas the Mini 3 keeps its A1 category even after January.
The intriguing spec is the 1.7 mini lens that is 1.5 stops faster than the 2 Pro 2.8.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada