DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Crash out of Control

AtortPhotography

Reactions
So I was flying my Mavic 2 Pro in the city about 3 weeks ago to simply fly down walking with my drone down an empty street at night. The drone totally went out of control on me with no movements on the sticks by me other than trying to salvage it from flying recklessly out of control. DJI sent this to me stating pilot error and was totally NOT accurate in my opinion and tired of them always blaming the pilots as if they can do no wrong. Here is the video of the crash happening. What are your thoughts?

This is what DJI replied to me.....

DJI Support (Support)
Jan 2, 2021, 5:42 GMT+8
Dear Anthony,

Thank you for your patience.

This is Honey from the Technical Support team, and I will be assisting you in this case from now on for related inquiries about data analysis.

Here's the result of the data analysis on your case number: CAS-5619713-W3C5R2
Incident date: 2020 FLY: 53
1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode, and responded to the pilot’s command well;
2. At flight Time T=966 seconds, Relative Height H=24 meters, Distance to home D=5 meters, the aircraft flew upward as per RC input and crashed with obstacles;
3. Incident coordinates: 6.210386, -75.576840
4. Obstacle avoidance could not detect obstacles in poor lighting conditions.

According to the analysis, The incident was caused by the operation error of the pilot.

We can still proceed with the repair, the crash accident is covered under the DJI Care Refresh service plan. Please refer to the Repair Service Quotation sent to you via email. To use one of the replacements under DJI Care Refresh, please click. "Use Care Refresh" to settle the replacement fee for the case to move forward. Let us know if we can help with anything else. You know where to reach us. Have a perfect day!

Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,
Honey,
DJI Technical Support

Looking forward to the log analysis from the gurus here!
Well I’m curious too obviously. I barely even was flying and the drone zapped out of control to the left and then flew aggressively to the right and had to force crash to avoid anything more from happening. Super lame.

So I was flying my Mavic 2 Pro in the city about 3 weeks ago to simply fly down walking with my drone down an empty street at night. The drone totally went out of control on me with no movements on the sticks by me other than trying to salvage it from flying recklessly out of control. DJI sent this to me stating pilot error and was totally NOT accurate in my opinion and tired of them always blaming the pilots as if they can do no wrong. Here is the video of the crash happening. What are your thoughts?

This is what DJI replied to me.....

DJI Support (Support)
Jan 2, 2021, 5:42 GMT+8
Dear Anthony,

Thank you for your patience.

This is Honey from the Technical Support team, and I will be assisting you in this case from now on for related inquiries about data analysis.

Here's the result of the data analysis on your case number: CAS-5619713-W3C5R2
Incident date: 2020 FLY: 53
1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode, and responded to the pilot’s command well;
2. At flight Time T=966 seconds, Relative Height H=24 meters, Distance to home D=5 meters, the aircraft flew upward as per RC input and crashed with obstacles;
3. Incident coordinates: 6.210386, -75.576840
4. Obstacle avoidance could not detect obstacles in poor lighting conditions.

According to the analysis, The incident was caused by the operation error of the pilot.

We can still proceed with the repair, the crash accident is covered under the DJI Care Refresh service plan. Please refer to the Repair Service Quotation sent to you via email. To use one of the replacements under DJI Care Refresh, please click. "Use Care Refresh" to settle the replacement fee for the case to move forward. Let us know if we can help with anything else. You know where to reach us. Have a perfect day!

Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,
Honey,
DJI Technical Support
Well ... if the flight wasn't conducted near Astorga, Medellin, Colombia (as suggested by the DJI tech support & the GPS position) they have mixed up the cases.

Attach your TXT & DAT log in a new post here (both will be located in the mobile device you flew with). Go here & read up on how to retrieve them --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide (read under section 3.)

Well ... if the flight wasn't conducted near Astorga, Medellin, Colombia (as suggested by the DJI tech support & the GPS position) they have mixed up the cases.

Attach your TXT & DAT log in a new post here (both will be located in the mobile device you flew with). Go here & read up on how to retrieve them --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide (read under section 3.)
Ok let me look into getting that thank you. I had a smart controller and obviously the drone is at DJI I can still retrieve I take it from that?

Flying low between two buildings without even seeing the video , you were at risk of loosing signal and going into atti mode and drifting. After watching the video you could see the drift right from when you started down the road ,it was over right than and there your drone was fully Compromised.

It was a pilot error as I see it because you started the flight in a compromised area that would require some advanced piloting skills .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water.

Well I’m curious too obviously. I barely even was flying and the drone zapped out of control to the left and then flew aggressively to the right and had to force crash to avoid anything more from happening. Super lame.
So are you saying you did have control? IF so, why would you not pull down left stick? I'm certainly not taking sides but speculatively looks like it lost GPS hold and went to Atti? Logs will get you figured out...I would also talk to DJI about those Lat/Long figures as well as Relative Height H=24 meters in report. Best of luck. :)

Flying low between two buildings without even seeing the video , you were at risk of loosing signal and going into atti mode and drifting. After watching the video you could see the drift right from when you started down the road ,it was over right than and there your drone was fully Compromised.

It was a pilot error as I see it because you started the flight in a compromised area that would require some advanced piloting skills .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water.
It didn't even seem like it was in atti mode or do anything to think that since I had enough satellites. I should not need advanced piloting skills to fly down road city or not. If it was in atti mode and couldn't acquire satellites I would not have even flown. It appeared to be good to go like any other flight before it left my hands.

So are you saying you did have control? IF so, why would you not pull down left stick? I'm certainly not taking sides but speculatively looks like it lost GPS hold and went to Atti? Logs will get you figured out...I would also talk to DJI about those Lat/Long figures in report. Best of luck. :)
It was flying straight in the first 30 seconds as in the video just trying to get some quick footage of the Christmas lights on an empty street...then just flew aggressively out of control to the left and tried to fly to the right a bit and just continued momentum going faster and really couldn't pull down any more than I did when I crashed into the ground. The drone was flying faster and I wasn't doing anything other than trying to save it which wasn't happening. I basically did not have time to pull the left stick down with the momentum it was going which was not by me on the controls causing this momentum. Super weird and fly in the city a ton and this was really not the norm even for city flying.

Reactions: hiflyer201
It didn't even seem like it was in atti mode or do anything to think that since I had enough satellites. I should not need advanced piloting skills to fly down road city or not. If it was in atti mode and couldn't acquire satellites I would not have even flown. It appeared to be good to go like any other flight before it left my hands.
If you watch the video you can see the drift almost immediately which is indicative of Atti mode or other problem.

The fact that you did not recognize that is Pilot Error when It was so evident in the video.
Something that a more seasoned Pilot would know from experience with there drone but you kept flying it without making the adjustments needed .

Its tricky but that is why its advanced skills to pilot in that situation.

If you watch the video you can see the drift almost immediately which is indicative of Atti mode or other problem.

The fact that you did not recognize that is Pilot Error when It was so evident in the video.
Something that a more seasoned Pilot would know from experience with there drone but you kept flying it without making the adjustments needed .

Its tricky but that is why its advanced skills to pilot in that situation.
I am not saying I am the best pilot obviously, but atti mode is simply flying with no satellites essentially and this thing was flying faster and doing things more than I have ever experienced flying my Phantom 4 Pro's in atti mode. Did not feel at all the same!

I am not saying I am the best pilot obviously, but atti mode is simply flying with no satellites essentially and this thing was flying faster and doing things more than I have ever experienced flying my Phantom 4 Pro's in atti mode. Did not feel at all the same!
Really it could also be the Magnetic Interference which can also cause the drone to go into atti mode but the key is the drift and flying between the two buildings , that is all i needed to see to know that possibility of what was going to happen.

That is what allowed me to spot the drift so quick in the video.
At 12 seconds into the video it happens.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain

When I watched the video the first thing i looked for was the drift of the drone ,
to the Left
So what does that tell you? The fact it drifted fast to the left and then flew fast the other direction and just kept ramping up speed no matter what I did and was supposedly in tripod mode makes no sense.

So what does that tell you? The fact it drifted fast to the left and then flew fast the other direction and just kept ramping up speed no matter what I did and was supposedly in tripod mode makes no sense.
No sense in speculating, the logs will tell all. :)

That lets me know that the Drone became unstable in an instant which is what happens when a drone is flown between two buildings as we have seen many times in these type of crashes.

I will be curious to see from the logs how fast your drone was compromised maybe from the very start on take off.

Reactions: AtortPhotography
No sense in speculating, the logs will tell all. :)
I am trying to retrieve them now. It does feel like many want it to be user error to prove me or the person wrong or something...that's not cool. I am simply trying to figure out what happened and DJI Support sucks so nope I don't trust them ever. And I was just on with DJI and the call dropped so wonderful. ?

Does anyone else ever feel DJI has the worst phone lines ever?! I got dropped 3x just now and every single time they say they are going to provide a survey it always drops and never happens. Ugh

Any suggestion on how to do that or where to locate them?
Don't have a SC myself but know it's android based so follow that link I gave you in post #4 & read under section 3. Then just hook the SC up to your computer find the correct location & copy them over, create a new post & use the "attach files" button ... after that all can stop speculating.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke