DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro crash related to fog and iced props ?

yousaidthat

Reactions
Hi,

New member here with a crash analysis request please.

I think low temps, fog (low visibility) and props iced up and/or auto-landing because of fog
may have contributed to crash.

Was flying up through mist to get some pano shots above the fog and then descended back down through fog.
On the downwards path auto-landing message was received at 7m 2.2s at IMU height of 122 feet.

Couldn't recover after this.

"Motor current error. Check your propellers and fly with caution." was also received which I suspect
is because of icing on the props?

After drying out, on startup I now get 'ESC status error' so will be putting it in for repair.

Please don't be too hard on me ;-)

Flight log txt file link supplied here as well as Phantom logviewer CSV output here.

And apologies to the two members who previously replied but I somehow deleted the post...

Attachments

• Damaged leg..jpg
    Damaged leg..jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Iced prop.jpg
    Iced prop.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 54
Yup, prop icing is deadly.

I have flown in fog but make sure to only do that if temps are warm enough it can't ice.

I wiped the props and body of my mavic with Rainx to keep it from icing. They make a formula for plastic.
I was flying in the winters of Vermont, so I definitely put it to the test.

Ok, I've spent a bit of time with CsvViewer.

My issue seems to be that "OSD.flycCommand DropLanding" is initiated and the drone goes into
a state of "OSD.flycState AutoLanding" which can't be cancelled by using LEFT stick Up.

Does anyone know anything about "OSD.flycCommand DropLanding" and what may initiate it ?

Even with full throttle the drone is still descending.

A few seconds later there is a severe warning :
"Motor current error. Check your propellers and fly with caution."

Thanks,

yousaidthat

Height zSpeed Throttle.JPG

Hi,

New member here with a crash analysis request please.

I think low temps, fog (low visibility) and props iced up and/or auto-landing because of fog
may have contributed to crash.

Was flying up through mist to get some pano shots above the fog and then descended back down through fog.
On the downwards path auto-landing message was received at 7m 2.2s at IMU height of 122 feet.

Couldn't recover after this.

"Motor current error. Check your propellers and fly with caution." was also received which I suspect
is because of icing on the props?

After drying out, on startup I now get 'ESC status error' so will be putting it in for repair.

Please don't be too hard on me ;-)

Flight log txt file link supplied here as well as Phantom logviewer CSV output here.

And apologies to the two members who previously replied but I somehow deleted the post...
And thus is a double/duplicate thread on the same issue which is against the forum rules....

You already started one here (and received answers)...

As stated previously, the cause of your crash was ice on the props which will happen even in temps above freezing if you fly in saturated air.
You also need to maintain a 3 mile visibility barrier to adhere to FAA regulations - difficult to do if it's foggy!

And thus is a double/duplicate thread on the same issue which is against the forum rules....

You already started one here (and received answers)...

As stated previously, the cause of your crash was ice on the props which will happen even in temps above freezing if you fly in saturated air.
You also need to maintain a 3 mile visibility barrier to adhere to FAA regulations - difficult to do if it's foggy!

Curious about the pressure differential to cause saturated air above freezing temperatures causing ice to form, do you know what it could be in this case?

You are right, VLOS is safer and the law in most countries.

Last edited:
You won't find icing effects when you are flying in, let's say, 10°C warm air.
But slightly above the freezing point (e.g.. 2°C) can lead to clear ice buildup on props.

Icing occurs when a wing/prop moves through visible water and the temperature at the point where the moisture strikes the propeller is 32° F (0° C) or colder.
Even though the air temperature around the prop may be a few degrees warmer than freezing, aerodynamic cooling can occur
(due to the rapid movement of the prop through the air creating a wind-chill effect)
and lower the temperature of the prop's surface thus inducing icing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf