DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Crash Suddenly in sport mode

sebi1996

Reactions
Cheers guys,

today I had a nice Hyperlapse shot. The Hyplerlapse stopped because of low Battery for return. After the Mavic started to fly back home I switched to sport mode to fly it home by my own. Suddenly I just saw the mavic spinning on my mobilephone screen and then the conection was lost.
Found the Mavic on the ground in a forest after he dropped over 100m, but he looks quiet good.
Can someone find a reason in the Flight log for these incident?

Thanks!
Greetings from south Germany

Maybe a Compass Malfunction?

1579789040021.png
1579788993993.png

Keep an eye on that Cell #4 from the battery.

1579789199481.png

Perfect weather.

1579789313403.png

It was not a compass issue (a compass error doesn't cause a fall-from-the-sky incident the compass data is just showing that the drone was spinning as it fell).
It wasn't because of a 0.1V cell difference in the battery either.

At 21:42.7 the drone started to spin in a clockwise direction, it briefly pitched nose up and then steeply down, it rolled right over and started losing height as it spiralled and tumbled downwards.
This indicates losing either a motor or a propeller while flying.

This hasn't anything to do with either compass or battery cell errors ... my guess in this stage leans towards a fatal propulsion error, but to diagnose this further we need the .DAT file:

Mobile device DAT files (DJI GO 4 & DJI Fly)

These are retrieved by the same method as the TXT logs. Under both iOS and Android they are in a subfolder, MCDatFlightRecords, in the folder that contains the TXT logs.

Attach then the file here in a new post... (we need the one with FLY035.DAT in the end)

The .txt mainly confirms your event description.

Probably Propulsion error.jpg

Cheers guys,

today I had a nice Hyperlapse shot. The Hyplerlapse stopped because of low Battery for return. After the Mavic started to fly back home I switched to sport mode to fly it home by my own. Suddenly I just saw the mavic spinning on my mobilephone screen and then the conection was lost.
Found the Mavic on the ground in a forest after he dropped over 100m, but he looks quiet good.

Thanks!
Greetings from south Germany

It looks like it lost the back right prop, but the mobile device DAT file (FLY035.DAT) is needed to confirm:

Attitude.png

Can add that the right back engine had a spike in the current draw when the engine stopped, but then fell down to a level as before but became intermittent ... could be an indication of an electrical malfunction ... can you feel any difference turning the engine by hand compered to the others?

Engine current.jpg

Not at all ...

Above those gauges you can read "Note that even a perfect battery would have minor deviations and it is normal."

And under Major Deviations it says: "All good: no major deviations were found"

But yeah ... as you have cut out your attached picture you made it contradictory ... go back to post --> #3 and re-read the full explanation.

In general Airdata.com's Power overviews are really useful to judge the status of a battery ... it's more views to look at also, but it becomes really interesting to look at the trend pages spanning over all flight logs with a particular battery there to make decisions about a battery. Sadly those trend views are only included in the paid subscriptions. But really recommend paying to get them as an insurance to be able to take a battery off duty before a cell goes bad in mid air.

Last edited:
When I see 3 cells showing 0 "deviations per minute" and the fourth showing 53.6 it does not feel "all good" to me.

Reactions: zeusfl
When I see 3 cells showing 0 "deviations per minute" and the fourth showing 53.6 it does not feel "all good" to me.
99% of the batteries used look like that for a lot of flights, especially in colder weather. And you can't draw any conclusions from one flight.

Here the share of the info.

All that figure is telling you is that there were 53.6 instances per minute where the voltage of cell #4 differed from the other three by an amount less than 0.01V. And yes, that is absolutely "all good".

At first glance it looks like physical damage, it in a way but its from melting. New battery(under 25 flights) drone just happened to be hovering at about 350 feet altitude close enough that I heard the small tree branches sound more like velcro ripped loose after watching it fall like a brick several hundred feet. Drone has 2 connection pins that were visibly darker color than the rest in the same place as battery. Old battery and mix matched platinum/mav 2 props actually powered up fine and completed a full flight (600+ flights) its an old battery but the drone only lost one front leg/antenna from the crash. Will DJI argue that the battery is clearly bad? Which is the best way to get this resolved? I have 1 refresh, havent crashed this one and dont want to spend that money because its their mistake? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 91884

DJI will want to see the flight logs, and it's impossible to know how this should be resolved without them. And how is this event related to this thread?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ