DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro crash - wondering if serious

OliveViewImages

Reactions
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum but glad to be here. Sorry to enter with a question already, but yesterday, while experimenting with Waypoints on the M2P, I backed into a tree and the bird fell down to a hard surface, probably an 8' fall after it stopped hitting branches. I lost some props, but I've tested everything out and it all seems to be working fine. No issues at all that I can detect. The only "damage" appears to be with one of the rear arms, and I'm not sure if it's enough to worry about. I have DJI Care but I don't want to send it in for a repair if it's not necessary. The problem is that the arm has a bit more flex in it when fully extended and if I push up on it. I've attached a photo that shows a nic in the body where the arm must have been pushed upward in the fall (beyond the little silicon pad that seems to be a shock absorber of some kind. The flex is VERY minimal and I've noticed no oscillation in flight or in video images. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5434.JPG
    IMG_5434.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
For the front leg damage, I'd put a little glue and back out the hex screw so the crack can close up.

The rear leg/body damage should be fine

Thanks. There's no front leg damage. What looks like a crack in the landing extension is just the joint where it means the arm. But thanks for your take on the rear leg!

Thanks. There's no front leg damage. What looks like a crack in the landing extension is just the joint where it means the arm. But thanks for your take on the rear leg!

If you want , you can use some putty to fill up and even out the depression in the body

Thanks, I might just do that! Should match pretty closely too. :)

Does it look the same as the others? Doesn’t look quite right to me.

Does it look the same as the others? Doesn’t look quite right to me.
It does! I've checked it over a few times and nothing is different other than what I described earlier. Maybe it's just the photo... Thanks!

Be vewy-vewy careful!

I slipped on icy steps and my drone hit a brick wall. It looked okay, (inspected in dim light), no calibrate this or that warnings on the Smart Controller, so I went flying - it was night. Drone tried to land a couple of times, I should have let it, but pushed up on the left to climb away. From about 50' up it started a pinwheel, knife-edge spin into the ground, impacting 2" of snow over sandy soil. Front left arm snapped, front right pivot hinge bent, back arm wrenched at pivot joint with inside bushing broken too.

My guess is front arm cracked allowing arm to move upward enough to negate much of that motor's lift.

Takeaway, if you do choose to continue flying, I'd do short flights at first and inspect really well. Most all the damage to my left rear motor arm was hidden, even after the pinwheel routine.

Thank you! There is no damage to the front arm. Only the flex I mentioned in the rear arm. I’ve recalibrated the gimbal and the IMU and have flown the bird 5 times on short missions since the crash. No change at all in performance.

Here's a couple of the "hidden" rear parts that could be damaged if you have flex in the motor arm (the arm pivot was damaged too):

Original Left Right Back Rear Axis Arm Shaft Repair Part For DJI Mavic Pro Drone | eBay

Mavic 2 Rear Arm Axis

Fair amount of work to fix, BTW:

kggdHSy.png

Reactions: Gindra
while experimenting with Waypoints on the M2P, I backed into a tree

I'm fiddling with Waypoints lately, still what you'd call a "waypoints beginner" I guess, so I'm curious about this. Did the branch have leaves? Was it too skinny for the sensor to pick up? Not remotely criticising, I'm just keen to learn.

No leaves on the trees yet. I was trying to do a pull-away shot from the front door of a large house, back through some trees. The bird drifted sharply off into the branches (small ones) and seemed to go off course on its own. Needless to say, I've abandoned the idea!
Here's a couple of the "hidden" rear parts that could be damaged if you have flex in the motor arm (the arm pivot was damaged too):

Original Left Right Back Rear Axis Arm Shaft Repair Part For DJI Mavic Pro Drone | eBay

Mavic 2 Rear Arm Axis

Fair amount of work to fix, BTW:

kggdHSy.png
Thanks. I've contacted DJI and they recommend I send it back. I have DJI Care Refresh (and still under the original warranty, for whatever good that will do. I think I'll go ahead and send it in just to be safe and for my peace of mind.

I have a mavic 2 that crashed and it flew fine and ended up opening the drone to find out the rear axis bracket was broken and one axis bracket on the front arm was broken also .it still flew fine an even folded fine and didn’t realize that it had that much damage till I opened the drone I ended up ordering the parts and fixed it myself

Reactions: bumper
Dont touch it you have care package,plus you will loose warranty if you start playing with glue and messing with screws you will get it back repaired properly, good luck.

Thanks, I might just do that! Should match pretty closely too. :)
Dont Use Putty, Cmon, 2K Craft, Youre Gonna Put Putty On It ? Also, It Just Might Void Your Warranty, Not Sure. You Have The Plan ! USE IT ! I’d Send It In, The Faster , The Better. My 2 Cents...

Dont touch it you have care package,plus you will loose warranty if you start playing with glue and messing with screws you will get it back repaired properly, good luck.
Yes likeAlbert says I wouldn’t try fixing if under warranty cause it will void the warranty mine didn’t have warranty and didn’t have refresh either

I personally would send it in the DJI. I do a lot of precision flying so I want my drone to respond to my commands and function to it's best capabilities. If you just fly for fun then you probably don't need to worry. Another thing, some of you guys suggested putting putty, gluing and the sort but wouldn't that void your warranty and DJI Care Refresh?? I'm just wondering.

Well, I sent it back to DJI. They assessed the damage as soon as they got it. More damage than I was able to see, so a new one (probably a refurb) is on its way back to me. Thanks for all your replies! I hope the refurbished drone is good; mine was barely a month old. :(

Well, I sent it back to DJI. They assessed the damage as soon as they got it. More damage than I was able to see, so a new one (probably a refurb) is on its way back to me. Thanks for all your replies! I hope the refurbished drone is good; mine was barely a month old. :(
how much did you have to pay?

Because it was my first DJI refresh use, $119. Guess I have to stay far away from trees from now on!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61