DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro crashed today.

Vader Zoom 01

Reactions
Was flying my Mavic 2 Pro over water with an unobstructed view to take sunset pictures and everything in pre-flight was normal. At just over 4200 feet I got a weak signal warning and the drone was sluggish to respond both in camera operations and control sticks. I got several obstacle warnings from the different sensors and I have flown off this causeway numerous times with my DJI Spark and Mavic 2 Zoom and never had an issue like this. As you can see from the log, several loss of signal warnings even though I was well within the controller range. A return to home was initiated by the drone when Im just over 390ft away. The drone came back to the home point but was about to land 4 feet from the landing pad so I took over control and moved the drone to just over the pad when it lurched forward and crashed onto the dirt road just before the water. I sent in a repair ticket and printed my return label and will ship it out to DJI. Here is the flight log from the flight and during the entire flight my radio signal was 100%.

Last edited:
I can't decipher your logs (but @sar104 can) but there are a couple of things that you could clarify:
  1. You state both "I got a weak signal warning" and "during the entire flight my radio signal was 100%." These statements are conflicting.
  2. "A return to home was initiated by the drone when Im just over 390ft away." Your Airdata information shows a landing battery of 57%. What initiated the RTH? Was your battery fully charged when the flight was started?
The logs should clear these up but was wondering if you could expand on them until then.

I'm surprised there's any damage needing repair for an M2 crashing into dirt 4 ft up. I crashed onto concrete after hitting a wire 10ft up. Only damaged props, scratches and corner of battery dinged.

I can't decipher your logs (but @sar104 can) but there are a couple of things that you could clarify:
  1. You state both "I got a weak signal warning" and "during the entire flight my radio signal was 100%." These statements are conflicting.
  2. "A return to home was initiated by the drone when Im just over 390ft away." Your Airdata information shows a landing battery of 57%. What initiated the RTH? Was your battery fully charged when the flight was started?
The logs should clear these up but was wondering if you could expand on them until then.
I had fully charged the drone and smart controller before flying and the weak signal warnings I kept getting were confusing to me as well. Each time I got a weak signal and don't block the antenna warning I looked on the controller and saw full signal strength and nothing was blocking the antennas. There were a couple of times when the drone didn't respond to the controller as I was trying to turn it or lower the altitude and during those times the camera wouldn't respond as well and even the screen on my smart controller went to a gray screen where the image was there but not in color. What surprised me the most was loss of signal that initiated the RTH at just under 400 feet from the home point. In the flight log it shows that my signal strength never dropped below 100% during the entire flight. So I'm just as confused as you are on why I would get a weak signal, don't block the antenna when in both the log and on my smart controller I was showing full radio signal strength.

Log analysis should clear this up, but it seems to me there is a discrepancy in what was reported and what was experienced.
... just over 4200 feet...during the entire flight my radio signal was 100%...
I know you were flying over water but at 4200 feet out I would not expect the radio signal to stay at 100%. Perhaps some distance flyers will correct me on this.
I got several obstacle warnings from the different sensors and I have flown off this causeway numerous times with my DJI Spark and Mavic 2 Zoom and never had an issue like this...
I see the time of flight was 5:34 PM. It is possible the obstacle warnings were caused by the low sun compounded by the reflection off the water. This is not uncommon.

As you can see from the log, several loss of signal warnings even though I was well within the controller range. A return to home was initiated by the drone when Im just over 390ft away. The drone came back to the home point but was about to land 4 feet from the landing pad so I took over control and moved the drone to just over the pad when it lurched forward and crashed onto the dirt road just before the water.
There is no "Loss of Signal" in this data. A "Weak" signal will not initiate RTH. This was either initiated by you ( On purpose or by accident ) or another reason that is not shown from this data. I suspect the "Lurch Forward" at the end of the data was due to your elevator commands at the end. You throttled up. the aircraft climbed slightly. You rotated the aircraft then issued forward elevator. Twice. That is at the end of the data. If you can supply the device .dat, it may give more information.

1576603778380.png

Reactions: BudWalker
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf