DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Fell From the Sky is it the RC?

Totem

Reactions
M2Pro AirData

Hi all,
A few months back I had an unrecoverable failure over Grays Harbor, WA. My M2P was diagnosed to have lost a prop or had some motor failure (thank you SAR104 and others). My M2P replacement from DJI has now also mysteriously 'fell from the sky'. Similar weak signal found on both flights. I was using Drone Deploy on automated missions when this happened. Be great if someone with experience can take a look at the flight log. DJI sold me a replacement at 1/3 discount as I could not recover the drone in the bay. So, 'new' drone, same remote control, downed drone. Is there any chance I have a faulty RC? Does not make sense to me as one would think the M2P would RTH if the RC had issues. Your help unraveling is appreciated. I will be pursuing with DJI next week.

For reference, I flew the same mission again with a M2Zoom with a different remote control an hour later. No problems whatsoever.

M2Zoom AirData

Something went wrong 9 seconds from the end of the recorded flight - all the data flat-lined. Whether that indicates an FC problem or a data link issue through the RC to the app is difficult to say for sure, but of those options, only an FC problem should have caused the aircraft to crash - anything else should have led to mission completion and/or RTH.

Reactions: Totem and Dronage
Does FC stand for Flight Controller?

The M2P did just cease to fly fell into a tree then the ground sustaining a broken arm and sensor damage. No stick inputs from me nor any warning on the RC/monitor. I will run the issue by DD as well but likely this is a DJI matter. I was fortunate to have a second M2 for comparison. Thanks again, I appreciate your being able to dissect the flight. I am fearful of repairing this M2P only to have this happen again. I wonder if there is a diagnostics for the RC?

Does FC stand for Flight Controller?

The M2P did just cease to fly fell into a tree then the ground sustaining a broken arm and sensor damage. No stick inputs from me nor any warning on the RC/monitor. I will run the issue by DD as well but likely this is a DJI matter. I was fortunate to have a second M2 for comparison. Thanks again, I appreciate your being able to dissect the flight. I am fearful of repairing this M2P only to have this happen again. I wonder if there is a diagnostics for the RC?

FC is the flight controller - the computer on the aircraft itself.

Reactions: WAXMAN and Totem
Has there been many FC failures? I flew a MP1 for over a year with zero performance issues. Always exceeding my wildest hopes. My experience with the M2P has been underwhelming to say the least and expensive. I am hoping I have a lemon RC or FC and can get some serious hours in without issues of this nature. Thank you again sar104, you appreciated.

Has there been many FC failures? I flew a MP1 for over a year with zero performance issues. Always exceeding my wildest hopes. My experience with the M2P has been underwhelming to say the least and expensive. I am hoping I have a lemon RC or FC and can get some serious hours in without issues of this nature. Thank you again sar104, you appreciated.

Not many have been reported here but by contrast there were no Mavic Pro FC failures reported that I can recall. It's still very rare.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Not many have been reported here but by contrast there were no Mavic Pro FC failures reported that I can recall. It's still very rare.
It is truly a pity if mavic 2 main board design is unreliable. I wonder if any of reported issues fit into any kind of a pattern, at all. But, in reality, it probably just a bad soldering or other production defect, who knows.

It is truly a pity if mavic 2 main board design is unreliable. I wonder if any of reported issues fit into any kind of a pattern, at all. But, in reality, it probably just a bad soldering or other production defect, who knows.

I don't see any evidence that it's unreliable, I just see a very few failures of a kind that did not appear with the Mavic Pro.

At 15 mins 37 secs both sticks were down and in. On the mavic pro that would stop the motors.
The drone dropped from 150 ft to 5 ft in 30 secs. Or am I missing something?

At 15 mins 37 secs both sticks were down and in. On the mavic pro that would stop the motors.
The drone dropped from 150 ft to 5 ft in 30 secs. Or am I missing something?

The flight only lasted 13 minutes 15 seconds, and it was fully automated with no stick inputs, so I don't know what you are looking at.

The flight only lasted 13 minutes 15 seconds, and it was fully automated with no stick inputs, so I don't know what you are looking at.
I was looking at the HD flight player. Is this the wrong flight ?

I've tried pix4d and dronedeploy and found their flight software completely unreliable. Use DJI ground station. It's free and it works every time.

Since this happened on the same mission might it not be the 3rd party software or the mission in particular. First thing I would do is delete that mission so you don't load it by mistake.

Since this happened on the same mission might it not be the 3rd party software or the mission in particular. First thing I would do is delete that mission so you don't load it by mistake.
I would delete the software too. Dronedeploy take no responsibility if their software causes a crash. I'm pretty sure the same goes for pix4d. I've flown nearly 100km of grids with ground station without a single issue and you get full control of the camera settings during the flight.

It might be worth a look at the mobile device DAT file to see if the event stream gives a clue as to why the telemetry froze.

Is this it? I was flying DD with the M2P that went down. This may be the M2Zoom DAT I used for some video and still pictures after the mapping mission. This is the only DAT file I have for that day, though I flew three missions with two drones. Is there a way I can pull information straight from the ill fated drone itself...or the RC?

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-04-22_[14-42-53].txt
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
Is this it? I was flying DD with the M2P that went down. This may be the M2Zoom DAT I used for some video and still pictures after the mapping mission. This is the only DAT file I have for that day, though I flew three missions with two drones. Is there a way I can pull information straight from the ill fated drone itself...or the RC?

No - that's a txt log (not a DAT file) for a M2Z flight a couple of hours after the M2P went down. It's possible that DD doesn't create DAT files.

Mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Reactions: Totem
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242