DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Firmware versions

370Z2017

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Purchasing a new Mavic 2 Pro very soon. What firmware will the Mavic 2 Pro come with when I get it? Will I be directed to the latest firmware when I update for the fist time or can I go to an earlier version? Thanks for any and all help!

Firmware version when purchased will depend on how long it was parked on a shelf at whatever facility you acquired it from.
If you allow it to update to a current version(and that is YOUR choice),
you may be limiting your downgrade options.

Downgrading basically means that you want to restore bugs that were previously fixed. Why would you want that?

Chris

Thanks for all the replies. I have been reading a lot of the posts regarding firmware, some are positive and some are not. Just trying to learn as much as I can. But again thanks for the replies!

Do yourself a favor: when you read a post that seems to have a negative outcome from a firmware upgrade, be sure that the reporting user has verified for sure that it was the firmware upgrade that caused their issue (not just a hunch they had that went unconfirmed). Also note how many such reports are verified by other users (repeated reports of the same issue caused by the same firmware).

You might find that most, nearly all of said reports end up being unverified.

As for: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" -- you will only discover that you have suffered a major failure when your aircraft falls out of the sky. Then it is broke and you cannot fix it.

Firmware upgrades are the smart thing to do.

Chris

Reactions: TTP and Drone Shot
Do yourself a favor: when you read a post that seems to have a negative outcome from a firmware upgrade, be sure that the reporting user has verified for sure that it was the firmware upgrade that caused their issue (not just a hunch they had that went unconfirmed). Also note how many such reports are verified by other users (repeated reports of the same issue caused by the same firmware).

You might find that most, nearly all of said reports end up being unverified.

As for: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" -- you will only discover that you have suffered a major failure when your aircraft falls out of the sky. Then it is broke and you cannot fix it.

Chris
Good advise for sure. What are the downgrades used for?

Good advise for sure. What are the downgrades used for?

This is my take. Other many not agree.
  • One of the reasons that seem legit to me (though I'm not one to do this): Some folk downgrade when they are unhappy with new limitations (GeoFencing and the like) that a new version introduces. (The same firmware version could also have bug fixes for unrelated issues, but it's important enough for those people to remove added restrictions, even if it means keeping the bugs. This does not happen a lot though.
  • Another legit reason: if there is a known issue (bug) introduced with a new firmware version. When it happens and the manufacture admits to it (and it's well documented on forums such as this one), then a subsequent firmware usually comes in the weeks ahead. Meanwhile, if it's a blocking issue (you can't fly safely with that issue), then downgrading is your only option. This is very rare.
  • It seems to me though (and this is a non-scientific impression) that many to most of the people downgrading firmware are shooting in the dark. A day comes where something isn't working right and, since they upgraded the firmware not long before that, they blame the firmware without really knowing. This is called shooting in the dark. In these cases, it is NOT documented well that this is happening to many people. Even if the issue goes away, you have no real way of knowing that it was the firmware downgrade that fixed it My experience tells me this is the largest reason for people downgrading firmware. However, most of the people that are afraid of things they do not understand well don't do the firmware upgrades to begin with.
Chris

Reactions: ssvdh66
When was the latest firmware released?

A quick search shows April 2021.

Anything later?

I see later updates for DJI Go 4 app for iOS but they don’t always update the app for new firmware.

Anything later?

I see later updates for DJI Go 4 app for iOS but they don’t always update the app for new firmware.

you will only discover that you have suffered a major failure when your aircraft falls out of the sky.
Am I reading this correctly? Because someone didn’t do some
firmware update(from whichever one it was on)will cause an aircraft to fall out of the sky?
That would depend on what the firmware package includes, would it not?

Reactions: razoraerial

Anything later?

Correct.

Thanks!

turned my drone on for first time since last summer/fall because I have an upcoming trip and I want to update to the latest. But I must apparently be there.

did have to update the flight database though.

Am I reading this correctly? Because someone didn’t do some
firmware update(from whichever one it was on)will cause an aircraft to fall out of the sky?

No, you are not reading it correctly.

Not having your aircraft fail does not mean that you are not flying with bugs. Flying with those bugs do not guarantee a crash. You may need the bug to exist and have the incident conditions occurring at the same time for you to experience issues.

If you ignore firmware updates because you aren't experiencing problems, and then subsequently experience a crash that was caused by as known issue, then you will have discovered that you have suffered that major failure that you could have avoided by updating firmware and receiving the bug fix.

I did not say "not updating firmware will cause an aircraft to fall out of the sky". Please read my words more carefully.

Chris

No, you are not reading it correctly.

Not having your aircraft fail does not mean that you are not flying with bugs. Flying with those bugs do not guarantee a crash. You may need the bug to exist and have the incident conditions occurring at the same time for you to experience issues.

If you ignore firmware updates because you aren't experiencing problems, and then subsequently experience a crash that was caused by as known issue, then you will have discovered that you have suffered that major failure that you could have avoided by updating firmware and receiving the bug fix.

I did not say "not updating firmware will cause an aircraft to fall out of the sky". Please read my words more carefully.

Chris
And thank you for the clarification. My mistake.

Correct.
I have two batteries that will not power on or charge after sitting for around a year and a half or longer. Sometime in the past 1.5 years they showed 2 lights/50%.
Any chance this update will allow the batteries to be charged? Not sure how the process would start once the bird and working batteries were updated. Maybe install dead battery in updated drone connected to laptop?

I have two batteries that will not power on or charge after sitting for around a year and a half or longer. Sometime in the past 1.5 years they showed 2 lights/50%.
Any chance this update will allow the batteries to be charged? Not sure how the process would start once the bird and working batteries were updated. Maybe install dead battery in updated drone connected to laptop?
Worth a try. Be careful with updates, they can add bugs that aren’t needed. Release notes are just a guide and may not include all that’s in the package.

Worth a try. Be careful with updates, they can add bugs that aren’t needed. Release notes are just a guide and may not include all that’s in the package.

And generally, the things in the update that are not in the release notes are not bugs, but bug fixes. They don't always list them for a variety of reasons, such as (for instance) to avoid liabilities.

I'm certain that the number of bug fixes in firmware is far greater than the number of inadvertently introduced bugs. That makes updating firmware far more valuable that skipping them due to paranoia of unknown new bugs.

That said, I wouldn't imagine that any firmware update would allow a battery to charge that had already shown to be dead.

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000