DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro first crash, and it was 'good' one. Worth repair or write-off?

Rumbaar

Reactions
So flying around low over an estate I'm building on, with neighboring trees. Didn't realize I was so close, and obstacle avoidance didn't seem to see the tree until I was in it. Resulted in a crashed Mavic 2 Pro. Came down hard
  • broke the right back arm at the motor part of the arm, and it's hanging on by two wires
  • From what I can tell has broken at least one of the grommet holders for the shock absorbent gimble assembly and maybe (camera or motor do not appear to be broken, but have physical scratches)
  • pop off the battery, and that housing opened up. But just appears to be okay, and just needed to be pushed back together.

had my Phantom 3 for years, not one crash. The Mavic 2 less than month ... so is this repairable? Will it be cheaper than buying a whole new unit? I bought from the local DJI store here in Melbourne, so hopefully I can get it repaired through them. Thoughts?!

If you were in the states @Thunderdrones could repair that and has a pretty quick turn around time. To send it to the states and back to Aussie land would probably add quite a bit to the cost of the repair though.

My understanding is that if one wants to go through DJI for service or repair they must open an online repair request 自助寄修-DJI 大疆自助服务中心
with support and then send it into thier nearest repair hub. That may or may not be located in Australia. My guess is its not.

Did you buy the dji insurance? Its worth it. I crashed mine 10 days ago after it lost connection...got a new replacement today after filing a claim

If you were in the states @Thunderdrones could repair that and has a pretty quick turn around time. To send it to the states and back to Aussie land would probably add quite a bit to the cost of the repair though.

My understanding is that if one wants to go through DJI for service or repair they must open an online repair request 自助寄修-DJI 大疆自助服务中心
with support and then send it into thier nearest repair hub. That may or may not be located in Australia. My guess is its not.
I bought it from Buy DJI™ Drones & Parts @D1 Store - DJI™ Authorized Distributor in AU , which is an official DJI store in Australia. Looking now, they have a repair service. Will have to see how that goes.
Did you buy the dji insurance? Its worth it. I crashed mine 10 days ago after it lost connection...got a new replacement today after filing a claim
No, I didn't. I wasn't able to, when it asked my on first registering of the app and I hadn't crashed in 3-4 years of flying my previous drone and thought would be the case. Didn't think I would crash it so soon and so hard, only bought it on the 2nd.

• Sad
Reactions: CJH92474

@BD0G thank you for the mention.

OP, you could try DJI Melbourne, that might be a good alternative.

Reactions: CJH92474 and BD0G
i would highly recommend UAVMe in Brisbane for repairs.
I use mavics for some training and unlike the phantoms, are not quite as robust. As such have needed the odd gimbal repair. They are good quality repairers, fast and fair priced.
Example, i gave him 2 mav pro on thursday afternoon, both needed gimbal repairs and one of them needed compass replacing and a couple of other minor issues. Both were ready monday morning and only cost $300.

I'm guessing $100 - $150usd
Thanks, that'll give me something to go by. When I speak with the store, and how much they quote.
I use mavics for some training and unlike the phantoms, are not quite as robust. As such have needed the odd gimbal repair. They are good quality repairers, fast and fair priced.
Example, i gave him 2 mav pro on thursday afternoon, both needed gimbal repairs and one of them needed compass replacing and a couple of other minor issues. Both were ready monday morning and only cost $300.
Thanks for that, I'm in Melbourne. So transport might be an issue, but certainly open to known in country repairers.

Hi, newbie from the Uk and my first posting. I hope no issue with this. Looking at repairs required and costs I would recommend looking up info on doing your own repairs. You will save a lot of £. And a new challenge and you only learn by doing.

Reactions: CJH92474
So flying around low over an estate I'm building on, with neighboring trees. Didn't realize I was so close, and obstacle avoidance didn't seem to see the tree until I was in it. Resulted in a crashed Mavic 2 Pro. Came down hard
  • broke the right back arm at the motor part of the arm, and it's hanging on by two wires
  • From what I can tell has broken at least one of the grommet holders for the shock absorbent gimble assembly and maybe (camera or motor do not appear to be broken, but have physical scratches)
  • pop off the battery, and that housing opened up. But just appears to be okay, and just needed to be pushed back together.
View attachment 69936View attachment 69937

had my Phantom 3 for years, not one crash. The Mavic 2 less than month ... so is this repairable? Will it be cheaper than buying a whole new unit? I bought from the local DJI store here in Melbourne, so hopefully I can get it repaired through them. Thoughts?!
Hi
Hi Rumbarr, I added a comment on this but went in as a new posting. Looking at repair costs I think you will be lucky to see any thing less than 400 bucks. And for me I would look st doing repairs myself. Easy ones first and then the big ones. There is a lot of help on U tube for repairs. Good luck.

Hi

Hi Rumbarr, I added a comment on this but went in as a new posting. Looking at repair costs I think you will be lucky to see any thing less than 400 bucks. And for me I would look st doing repairs myself. Easy ones first and then the big ones. There is a lot of help on U tube for repairs. Good luck.

Well, someone (who repairs drones) said:

I'm guessing $100 - $150usd

Well, someone (who repairs drones) said:
  • Hi, as a very new newbie I have been reviewing and watching vids on repairs and noting the prices of DJI parts. And reading of the damage to your Done, I took a guess of the amount I stated. So could be miles off. I hope it’s only a few bucks to repair. Having said that, I would only purchase original parts from a known vendor.
  • Would appreciate a msg from you when you do have the final total repair cost. Hope your back in the air ASAP. Cheers

Reactions: Rumbaar
I think I would make the repairs myself rather than sending it out. If you do need to send it out I would probably go to your local shop first not DJI.

Thank you all for the follow-ups.

I tried that d1store.com.au that I bought it from, and they're a joke for aftercare. I realized after I had bought it, that their online eBay store was cheaper ... so that wasn't very pleasant experience. Visited today, and they don't actually do repairs (the website said it does) and only one store does or could even give a quote. They weren't very helpful or knowledgeable of their own services and/or website (when I asked if it was listed on their website, the responses was "Dunno, never visited it"). So I'd avoid them, for initial and after sales.

I looked to do it myself, which I could get an arm for the drone for $55 AUD. But not knowing all the things broken in the gimbal housing I could only find the whole thing for like 1K+ AUD. So I've opened a repair case with DJI and will be shipping it off to their local repair facility. Of which they at least have a listing of what USD prices I can expect for each of the components.

See how it goes.

Reactions: Former Member
Dude, you would have been far better off with UAVMe. You would have had to post to Brisbane, but your posting anyway. UAVMe is our local Australian Equivalent to Thunderdrones. Reliable and honest and doesn’t charge more than what is required.
I would also like to speak up for D1 Store. They are just sellers and not really in the service area. However I have bought a few drones and other associated equipment from them and they have been nothing less than great to deal with. No issues with communication and following up on any warranty issues. They just don’t have a tech department and do work themselves.

Dude, you would have been far better off with UAVMe. You would have had to post to Brisbane, but your posting anyway. UAVMe is our local Australian Equivalent to Thunderdrones. Reliable and honest and doesn’t charge more than what is required.
I would also like to speak up for D1 Store. They are just sellers and not really in the service area. However I have bought a few drones and other associated equipment from them and they have been nothing less than great to deal with. No issues with communication and following up on any warranty issues. They just don’t have a tech department and do work themselves.
Yeah, I'll see what DJI quote I guess.

As for D1 store, your Brisbane one might be better. I let things slide on the day I purchases, but the signs were there. Tried to charge me $50 than he quoted earlier in the day, then wanted a Google review to take off that $50. Of which on later viewing, was their prices on eBay anyways (which I could have saved a further $80 via eBay discount). Then the app was no longer on the Google apps store that night, and they had no idea what to do about it. Sent me to a APK download third party site. I found it on the DJI website. Went in to purchase a hard case, and they wanted to charge more again than their eBay store again. Other than the first person I've dealt with, they've all had zero customer service skills or knowledge. Yesterday when I went their, the 'dude' was too interested in setting up their display in the Melbourne Central center. I bought from the store, for brick & mortar customer service. Then trying to contact their Brunswick store for repair, hung up on 3 times. Then picks up phone and says will call back in 10 mins. Doesn't say hello, ask name or anything. Then calls back on speaker phone and hangs up, then calls back a long while after "I have this number on a list to call".

They are also authorized repairers in Australia, so have a tech department and do work themselves, Brunswick store is their repair center. Their website states as such, but no employees actually visit or are aware of the website.

Very disappointed.

Last edited:
  • Hi, as a very new newbie I have been reviewing and watching vids on repairs and noting the prices of DJI parts. And reading of the damage to your Done, I took a guess of the amount I stated. So could be miles off. I hope it’s only a few bucks to repair. Having said that, I would only purchase original parts from a known vendor.
  • Would appreciate a msg from you when you do have the final total repair cost. Hope your back in the air ASAP. Cheers
Just a follow up. Got the quote from DJI $193 AUD in total, of which $58 in parts:

Vibration Absorbing Board (Lower) $3.00
Rear Arm Module (Right) $36.00
Upper Cover Module $19.00

Repair Service fee $120

Shipping $15

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members