DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro flight log data ( firmware v01.00.04.00 ) - height / altitude info

new2mavic

Reactions
I have spent some time on comparing various height / altitude related data fields in the .TXT and .DAT flight log data files of my M2P. As far as I can see from this flight, the use of sensor fusion algorithm to derive the height / altitude info is not that obvious. It seems that the height displayed on DJI GO 4 is derived from barometer data and the VPS value from the sensors at the belly. The original .TXT and .DAT files are also attached.

This is the screen capture of the flight:

Comments are more than welcome .
chart 1.JPG
chart 2.JPG
chart 3.JPG
comment.JPG

Attachments

• 20-01-10-01-00-01_FLY093.DAT
    9.5 MB · Views: 3
  • DJIFlightRecord_2020-01-10_[13-03-00].txt
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: BudWalker
I have spent some time on comparing various height / altitude related data fields in the .TXT and .DAT flight log data files of my M2P. As far as I can see from this flight, the use of sensor fusion algorithm to derive the height / altitude info is not that obvious. It seems that the height displayed on DJI GO 4 is derived from barometer data and the VPS value from the sensors at the belly. The original .TXT and .DAT files are also attached.

This is the screen capture of the flight:

Comments are more than welcome .
View attachment 91034
View attachment 91035
View attachment 91036
View attachment 91044
The .DAT file has a record type that makes it way into the .txt file pretty much intact. This record type contains the height data so it's not surprising that General:relativeHeight and OSD:height match. They may not match exactly due to data being sampled at slightly different times.

I had always thought that height data was just determined by the barometric data. But, it appears that the IMU:velZ data is being used to correct the height data. This can be seen from this post
A Legitimate Near-Flyaway with My Fourth M2Z

EDIT: @sar104 and I were posting the same thing but he hit the post button before me. Seems to be a regular occurrence.

The .DAT file has a record type that makes it way into the .txt file pretty much intact. This record type contains the height data so it's not surprising that General:relativeHeight and OSD:height match. They may not match exactly due to data being sampled at slightly different times.

I had always thought that height data was just determined by the barometric data. But, it appears that the IMU:velZ data is being used to correct the height data. This can be seen from this post
A Legitimate Near-Flyaway with My Fourth M2Z

EDIT: @sar104 and I were posting the same thing but he hit the post button before me. Seems to be a regular occurrence.

I've been taking speed typing classes for just this reason.

....I had always thought that height data was just determined by the barometric data. But, it appears that the IMU:velZ data is being used to correct the height data....

OK, I am bored today so I decided to do a little experiment. I put my M2P in a trash bag and connect the mouth to my vacuum cleaner . When the vac cleaner is turned on, the pressure inside the bag will be reduced making the drone believe that it is gaining height. The actual vertical speed will stay zero because the drone is resting on the table throughout the process and I wonder what figures will show up in the flight records.

x.jpg

Here is the screen capture of DJI GO 4 :

It can be seen that the barometer data has a rather big contribution to the vertical velocity shown on DJI GO 4 and that in the .TXT file. Just wondering how much contribution the accelerometer data has. May be = z vel - differential of height wrt time ?

height z speed.JPG

The .DAT and .TXT files are attached

Attachments

• 20-01-18-12-33-53_FLY012.DAT
    722.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DJIFlightRecord_2020-01-18_[12-34-06].txt
    41.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: BudWalker
OK, I am bored today so I decided to do a little experiment. I put my M2P in a trash bag and connect the mouth to my vacuum cleaner . When the vac cleaner is turned on, the pressure inside the bag will be reduced making the drone believe that it is gaining height. The actual vertical speed will stay zero because the drone is resting on the table throughout the process and I wonder what figures will show up in the flight records.

View attachment 91146

Here is the screen capture of DJI GO 4 :

It can be seen that the barometer data has a rather big contribution to the vertical velocity shown on DJI GO 4 and that in the .TXT file. Just wondering how much contribution the accelerometer data has. May be = z vel - differential of height wrt time ?

View attachment 91147

The .DAT and .TXT files are attached
I did an experiment like this - probably more than 2 years ago. I used a large ziploc bag. I'll try to find the post.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000