DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro Gimbal problem

Reactions
Hey peeps,
I had a Mavic 2 pro, everything was fine until the day came. My Mavic 2 pro fell into a freshwater lake in Arkansas. I sent it to DJI but they wouldn't even touch a water damaged drone. So i didnt know what to do for the last 6 months and just kept it stored. Recently i found someone who told me he can fix it and he fixed the drone. It started working fine except for the gimbal. The camera turns on but doesn't rotate at all and it is because of the gimbal.

Can someone suggest what i should do? It costs somewhere around $ 800 for a gimbal replacement. Should i pay $ 800 just for the camera to turn around ? Or should i sell it and get a better drone ?

You could:
1) Return it to the guy that "fixed it" and let him know that he missed something.
2) Squirt some WD40 in the gimbal joints. Could be some lake gunk is dried up and stuck in there.
3) @djidroneservice is an approved vendor for this site and may give you an estimate for the repair that would be less than replacement.

If you do have to replace the entire gimbal including camera, this may be the time to decide whether you would rather have the Zoom camera.

You could:
1) Return it to the guy that "fixed it" and let him know that he missed something.
2) Squirt some WD40 in the gimbal joints. Could be some lake gunk is dried up and stuck in there.
3) @djidroneservice is an approved vendor for this site and may give you an estimate for the repair that would be less than replacement.

If you do have to replace the entire gimbal including camera, this may be the time to decide whether you would rather have the Zoom camera.

1. He did not miss anything, he told me what the problem is and asked me to tell him if i would like to spend $800 to fix the gimbal. I asked for more time to think about it.
  2. Should probably try the WD40 on the gimbal. If that solves the problem, I'll be more than happy.
  3. I will contact them right now.
Thank you for your suggestions. Hope something works man.

800$ to fix the gimbal is a ripoff u can get the whole camera/gimbal assembly for 650$ and that was just the first one i picked
U can probably find used too

Edit here u go 545$! Its very easy to swap only 6 screws and one cable

Last edited:
Hey peeps,
I had a Mavic 2 pro, everything was fine until the day came. My Mavic 2 pro fell into a freshwater lake in Arkansas. I sent it to DJI but they wouldn't even touch a water damaged drone. So i didnt know what to do for the last 6 months and just kept it stored. Recently i found someone who told me he can fix it and he fixed the drone. It started working fine except for the gimbal. The camera turns on but doesn't rotate at all and it is because of the gimbal.

Can someone suggest what i should do? It costs somewhere around $ 800 for a gimbal replacement. Should i pay $ 800 just for the camera to turn around ? Or should i sell it and get a better drone ?
Washing with solution may make it work. I had a Fuji camera fall into a fresh water lake (in my pocket) and i flushed it and dried it out over several days and it worked again. Most drones are "water-proof" but must be very clean and free of dirt on moving parts. Try solvent like WD40 or even Windex and light puffs of canned compressed air. Can't make it worse. $800 is too much for another repair in my opinion.

Do u guys think wd40 would actually be good for it? Realistically the only thing you want to have working correctly in the gimbal that would need some type of oil would be the bearings in little brushless motors and I would not use WD-40....no good for bearings. I would use bearing oil which you could find at an RC shop.... This is at least what I do for my helicopter brushless motors. also for the other stuff I would use contact cleaner l.....for the ribbon cable's etc

Reactions: slbgeo
Do u guys think wd40 would actually be good for it? Realistically the only thing you want to have working correctly in the gimbal that would need some type of oil would be the bearings in little brushless motors and I would not use WD-40....no good for bearings. I would use bearing oil which you could find at an RC shop.... This is at least what I do for my helicopter brushless motors. also for the other stuff I would use contact cleaner l.....for the ribbon cable's etc
I would advise against WD-40....it is a water displacement mixture with lubricants....I used to use it on my bike chain/gears but it attracts far too much dust and dirt after application. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Mike4884
Why would he switch to zoom if he has Pro camera? Pro is much better and let's you do so much more?
You could:

Reactions: Roco'smavic2pro
800$ to fix the gimbal is a ripoff u can get the whole camera/gimbal assembly for 650$ and that was just the first one i picked
U can probably find used too

Edit here u go 545$! Its very easy to swap only 6 screws and one cable

I will definitely check that out. Thank you so much man.

I will definitely check that out. Thank you so much man.
depending upon what is broken you can have many options there.

if camera produces image and changes aperture - then it may be a motor only. arms with motors are also available there, check it - around of $40 or so. gimbal controller is about of $90. etc.

some cheaper links for gimbals may not include cable - make sure to check carefully the listing.

PS. i would probably get a complete zoom assembly now, and would try then to recover pro camera motors - if camera is indeed alive. but, it is your choice.

depending upon what is broken you can have many options there.

if camera produces image and changes aperture - then it may be a motor only. arms with are also available there, check it - around of $40 or so. gimbal controller is about of $90. etc.
Yes, the camera works but I cannot rotate it at all. There's a good chance it could just be what you're telling me now. But Paul, do you know how i can find that ?

Yes, the camera works but I cannot rotate it at all. There's a good chance it could just be what you're telling me now. But Paul, do you know how i can find that ?
look at the youtube on how to take gimbal off. use caution on all bolts, be gentle. then try to rotate joints to see which one is locked. welcome to micro modeling. :)

Thank you man, you are giving me some hope on getting this fixed by myself now.
everything is fixable, just be careful and do not rush while trying to take it apart, watch videos for each step and be patient. it is not all that difficult, just takes some practice.

if you will need to solder those wires - make sure to practice on something small before, and make sure to use small W soldering iron, as those wires will burn easily if overheated.

everything is fixable, just be careful and do not rush while trying to take it apart, watch videos for each step and be patient. it is not all that difficult, just takes some practice.

if you will need to solder those wires - make sure to practice on something small before, and make sure to use small W soldering iron, as those wires will burn easily if overheated.
I'll try working on it as soon I get my drone from the shop it is at now. I'll update you on it soon. Thanks.

I'll try working on it as soon I get my drone from the shop it is at now. I'll update you on it soon. Thanks.
try to email this guy, if you not sure how to fix it - Thunder Drones – Specializing In Dji Drones

if camera is fully alive, i do not think he would say it is a $800 job.
also, depending upon what is broken - if upper motor is alive - see this as a cheapest option - nothing to solder and it is a snap on part. but - used, so, no guarantees.

sorry, i sent zoom link above, but, pro is there too.

try to email this guy, if you not sure how to fix it - Thunder Drones – Specializing In Dji Drones

if camera is fully alive, i do not think he would say it is a $800 job.
also, depending upon what is broken - if upper motor is alive - see this as a cheapest option - nothing to solder and it is a snap on part. but - used, so, no guarantees.
Oh spoke to him already and he gave me a very fair price. I just didn't know if I wanted to spend on it right now. But I might do it real soon.

I would advise against WD-40....it is a water displacement mixture with lubricants....I used to use it on my bike chain/gears but it attracts far too much dust and dirt after application. Just my two cents.
WD-40 is NOT a lubricant...it's a SOLVENT! It was, (contrary to what our fathers told us), never intended for use as a lubricant. The viscosity is low to non-existent. That stuff will do nothing but harm if you try using primarily for lube. It's really pretty much the same thing as liquid-wrench. Both are great when trying to loosen seized parts...but you're gonna need oil for an oil-job!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98