DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Grand Canyon shot

You realize this is a National Park? Can’t see how you could launch and be that close the rim. I realize it’s possible to launch outside of NP boundaries and over fly the park.

Currently National Parks and Wilderness areas are not allowed in the US.

Paul C

You realize this is a National Park? Can’t see how you could launch and be that close the rim. I realize it’s possible to launch outside of NP boundaries and over fly the park.

Currently National Parks and Wilderness areas are not allowed in the US.

Paul C
Having visited the Grand Canyon myself on several occasions I would say, short of an admission by the OP, there's nothing categorical to prove his drone was actually in flight. From memory I would say it was possible when I visited to take a photograph similar to his and be quite close to the canyon's rim without being in flight, but why use a drone & not a hand-held camera? Maybe the drone was hand-held in which case nice photo. As somebody who's also taken a helicopter flight through the canyon, the last thing I'd want to encounter would be a drone. Very, very dangerous and if any one did fly a drone there it would be irresponsible in the extreme, deserving of having the book thrown at them.

Kinda defeats the purpose of a drone. If hand held I wonder how he controlled it I guess someone else held controller. For all that effort a iPhone or similar device would create the same shot assuming it was hand held.

Just posting this IMO is rather strange as it draws attention to a totally illegal flight unless the drone was hand held and if it was it should have been mentioned in first post.

Paul C

And yet, there are people that shoot with their drones while hand holding them. There are even accessories for filming video with them (some gadget with a handle for "steady drone" footage).

One guy was posting still shots to Facebook and I said "Wait, this is a nice shot, but it looks like it's just taken from the ground".

"It is."

"What, you don't have a camera?"

It pissed him off and he went away. I've since heard of a lot of people doing it. <shrug> maybe it's the best camera they own.

What you should be asking is "why do you feel the need to mention that it's unedited, like it's a badge of honor?" I mean. we can see that it's not edited, otherwise it would look a lot better (it's rather flat and the shadows need lifting somethin' fierce).

But yeah, if it wasn't taken from the ground, then shame on you.

Chris

And yet, there are people that shoot with their drones while hand holding them. There are even accessories for filming video with them (some gadget with a handle for "steady drone" footage).

One guy was posting still shots to Facebook and I said "Wait, this is a nice shot, but it looks like it's just taken from the ground".

"It is."

"What, you don't have a camera?"

It pissed him off and he went away. I've since heard of a lot of people doing it. <shrug> maybe it's the best camera they own.

What you should be asking is "why do you feel the need to mention that it's unedited, like it's a badge of honor?" I mean. we can see that it's not edited, otherwise it would look a lot better (it's rather flat and the shadows need lifting somethin' fierce).

But yeah, if it wasn't taken from the ground, then shame on you.

Chris
So I don't own a camera with a 1" sensor, I don't own a 3 axis stabilized held held camera at all. I
have no Ronin or Osmo or anything of the sort. I use my S20 Ultra and my MA2 for video walkthroughs of houses. I don't fly. I walk it....

Why? You ask...

Well, a lot is above, but because I feel safer walking it.

I know my circumstances are totally different, but there are certain instances that require walking. This shot however, would not have, and hence, likely was aerial.

To each their own I guess, fly from far away I guess, nice shot though. It would be stunning edited, actually I'm gonna edit it.

My impression is it was an attempt at humor....and trolling for the inevitable “OMG You Can’t Do That” comments.
If that’s the case he was 100% successful. Although that not hard to pull off with the drone police.
The M2 will take a much better photo than a phone so I have taken a few hand held shots with my M2.

Well, as long as we are "playing around" I will skip the comments about the legality of flying a drone in the Grand Canyon. I took the image and added two lightning bolts, and a bright sun with rays. I opened the shadows, increased the saturation a bit, and darkened the sky with the gradient filter. This is, of course, a totally unreal image that probably never could happen in nature, but, hey, it's a rainy day and I got rained out of my tennis game so I'm fooling around with this image instead. Please scroll see entire image. I am not going to tell you how I did this.

The image shown could have easily have been taken with any camera in my opinion. Grand Canyon-retouched by Dale.jpg
View attachment 112800photo I took last year at the Grand Canyon with my Mavic 2 Pro.

I posted this to see how many people responded with the negative remarks. I must say, some you didn’t fail to let me down. The guys who read my post and didn’t automatically make the assumption that illegal activity was happening can move to the head of the class for being observant to the words. Only a few didn’t rant and get worked up over something that never happened.

The drone was indeed used as “camera” only, I never powered up the motors, and kept the props folded while shooting. My son was the tripod while I composed all the shots. I mention it as unedited because it’s a pic I randomly pulled from my IPad. A Badge of Honor? Really? It ranks as one of the top five worst photos I’ve seen on this site and lord knows after years of viewing, I’ve seen some really bad “edited” pics.

So why not a hand held camera? We were traveling light, carry on luggage only so a drone was more important gear than my DSLR. In this case the ole saying “the best camera you have is the one you have with you” truly applied.
I think jpeg shots with an IPad or IPhone would have been pointless.

BTW...several members here and on the Commercial, and Phantom pages know I can be hard core on folks who break the rules while piloting a UAS.

My impression is it was an attempt at humor....and trolling for the inevitable “OMG You Can’t Do That” comments.
[/QUOTE

Ha. I appreciate your “help” no need to divulge your editing techniques. After painstaking years of post processing I don’t give away my tricks either.

Reactions: Hank Fink
According to the EXIF data, it was taken with a Hasselbad L1D-20c, which is the camera part of a Mavic 2 Pro.

According to the EXIF data, it was taken with a Hasselbad L1D-20c, which is the camera part of a Mavic 2 Pro.
That, and the file data also includes the lat/longs, as well as the elevation (2,122.7). Assuming that's in meters, it converts to 6,964 feet, which is pretty much the elevation at that location....that was fun :)

Years ago I was lucky enough to fly over the canyon in my plane...now THAT offered up some incredible photo opps!

-KAREN-

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143