DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Hand Catch (how to)

I got my Mavic 2 a week ago, and I was surprised how easy it is to hand catch it. I have done that with my Phantoms all the time, but I thought it would be harder with the Mavic because of the low-profile design.

Reactions: heo3480
The Phantoms certainly have their advantage with their frame but as @waynorth pointed out, the Mavic 2 is so easy to handcatch if you've tried it a couple of times due to their stability, I start and land by hand entirely to avoid any dust and dirt coming into the gimbal.

Never worry about the terrain or the need to carry a landing pad with you anymore.
Makes the bird so versatile and compact. ? ?

interesting stuff. so, he actually lowers it into the palm of the hand. i wonder how others do it - i never do it like that. i make it hover, then slid hand under the drone to grab it. dunno which way is safer, may be his is.

found one more good video on this - probably not the only one, but, was interesting to see.

i need to try that second way he shows. i apparently do the third with sensors on and it also works. go figure.

Last edited:
Reactions: MPone
I let it slowly descent it into my palm and grab it below the line of battery while holding down the throttle stick. Works fine.
Just be sure you do it a bit higher than your eye level, just in case. :)

@paulatkin73
The video you posted was the one I learnt from previously how it's supposed to be done.

I let it slowly descent it into my palm and grab it below the line of battery while holding down the throttle stick. Works fine.
Just be sure you do it a bit higher than your eye level, just in case. :)
right - but that requires optical sensors to be set to off for landing. dunno if i like that idea. well, i do not like that idea. not for a generic setting.

right - but that requires optical sensors to be set to off for landing.
No, that's the beauty, that you don't have to disable and enable everytime.
You bring the bird down, stretch your arm out a bit over eye line ... it will descent to about 0,5 m of your palm but recognise your hand so goes up a bit again.
While holding down throttle it still slowly descends into it.

So no need to hassle with the sensors, it has been working flawlessly so far - keep it on for safety and comfort!

Reactions: Bobvt and waynorth
No, that's the beauty, that you don't have to disable and enable everytime.
You bring the bird down, stretch your arm out a bit over eye line ... it will descent to about 0,5 m of your palm but recognise your hand so goes up a bit again.
While holding down throttle it still slowly descends into it.

So no need to hassle with the sensors, it has been working flawlessly so far - keep it on for safety and comfort!

That is exactly the way I do it, with the sensors active. It lands smooth and slowly in my hand.

interesting stuff. so, he actually lowers it into the palm of the hand. i wonder how others do it - i never do it like that. i make it hover, then slid hand under the drone to grab it. dunno which way is safer, may be his is.

found one more good video on this - probably not the only one, but, was interesting to see.

i need to try that second way he shows. i apparently do the third with sensors on and it also works. go figure.

the advantage of my approach is the hand simulates the ground, to it just lands as long as you hold down the throthle and you don't need to disable downward sensors.

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji