DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro hit a tree, crashed in the woods

macfawlty

Reactions
I'm uploading my flight log here hoping someone can confirm what caused a crash yesterday (aside from the obvious tree I hit). The obstacle sensing either turned off without me noticing or it just didn't work in this case.

I was flying my M2P from a boat on Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland. It was my last flight of the day, setting up for a quick and easy POI. While moving sideways, the M2P hit a tree and tumbled to the forest floor. As you probably know, heavily wooded areas are not great for locating a lost drone. I couldn't get off the boat to attempt retrieval as we were running short on time.

My flight path gave me some idea as to where it crashed, but cellular access is terrible everywhere in Deep Creek Lake. The satellite view would not load on the iPad or cellphone, but I dropped a pin of the boat position. I updated the home position of the drone (FWIW), but I didn't know whether/how that would help me to locate it. The M2P was upside down, but I had an obstructed camera view of the woods (see pic). I switched to photo mode, took some pics with a long exposure (I had an ND64 on it), but it didn't give me much to work with... an old branch at an angle in a wooded area with hundreds of fallen branches and trees at an angle. In the photo, I could barely make out what appeared to be a guard rail at some distance.

So, I returned the boat, got in the car and drove to the general area and a stretch of road with about 100yds of guard rail. I had a wooded area about the size of a football field to search. After 45 min. I found it, miraculously. The arm was broke and props chewed/broken, but doesn't appear to be anything major. My wife was impatient to start the 2.5 hours home, but I was glad not to have to return the next weekend to continue the search. I have insurance, so I wasn't too upset, but I didn't want to lose the footage I'd captured over the previous few days. I've got to be more diligent about switching cards between flights.

It seems like whenever I've had a crash, it's been in a wooded area in a locale with limited or no cell coverage. I almost never have a computer with me to get the flight logs, which aren't much help if I don't have internet to upload them here. These gray-colored drones really do not stand out in a forest and I wish there were some flashing lights and audible signals to help locate them. Anyway, I'm looking at the Firehouse Arc XL and perhaps a bright colored wetsuit from Phantomrain. I should probably have their water landing kit as well, cause I'm always often flying over water. My first attempts at boat launch/landings this weekend didn't go so well either. I'll need to get a GPS unit for my iPad to be able to update Home position to the device.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-09-08_[14-36-31].txt
    780.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DJI_0035.jpg
    DJI_0035.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 78
Obstacle avoidance was turned off but it wouldn't have help even if it was on because the side sensors are active only in tripod mode and some intelligent modes.

1599696206525.png

Obstacle avoidance was turned off but it wouldn't have help even if it was on because the side sensors are active only in tripod mode and some intelligent modes.

View attachment 112741
Thanks for that. There’s apparently a fair amount I don’t know about particular aspects of the advertised features in the M2P. Of course, one could be misled by the promotional materials for the Mavic 2, such as...

“FlightAutonomy has been upgraded to include Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing. For the first time in a DJI drone, obstacle sensors appear on all sides of the aircraft for greater safety during flight.”

the disclaimer that follows provides little clarity.

When I expand the flight route map, it sure would be nice if there was the ability for the map to show my current location, you know, like every other mapping app.
Also, In launching/landing from a boat, I mistakenly thought I could set the home point to my device location. I wasn’t sure at the time why I got an error. I don’t quite get why the home point can’t be set to the controller. If home point updating works in Active Track, why can’t it work otherwise?

I feel for you - it would drive me crazy to see that last photo taken by the drone, showing a clear shot of the forest it is "lost" in....Hope you can find it...

I feel for you - it would drive me crazy to see that last photo taken by the drone, showing a clear shot of the forest it is "lost" in....Hope you can find it...
As I mentioned in my post, I did return to the crash area with the car after returning the boat, but wasn't confident I could locate it without the ability to reference Google satellite view against the flight path map. We were scheduled to drive the 2.5 hours home that afternoon and my wife wasn't gonna help me in the search. It was a challenging effort with so many indistinguishable downed trees and branches, but I did find it after a 45 min search.

The places I fly and the way I fly and film, I'm always at risk of a crash. Flying/filming close to trees and other objects, gimbal tilts, lateral moves, etc. the camera is not always oriented to the direction of travel, but it captures more cinematic video.

There were a series of errors on my part. I got an alert before the flight to calibrate the vision sensors, but I was in a boat on a lake, no computer, no cell service, Google maps, etc. I learned a lesson on a previous crash with my P3 4K to keep the video capture running when moving. I was capturing video, but my device cache had just run out (and wasn't set to delete older cache). So, the video clip for the crash flight didn't capture on my iPad... not helpful. I probably would have been able to ID the tree species in the video by the leaves (a Hickory). At least I was able to take some photos, which narrowed the search area to football field size.

The trees in Western Maryland are quite tall and some of them (the one I ran into) extend above the rest of the tree canopy. My wife was nagging me about getting the boat back, but I wanted to get one last flight in and sorta rushed it. IOW, it's all my wife's fault. I should have checked my altitude and flight line relative to the trees before a lateral move. My biggest concern is always losing footage over loss of drone (it's insured). Of course, I wouldn't want to be droneless in the middle of a flying vacation. I'm gonna buy a bunch of smaller 32GB cards to switch out between flights.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
As I mentioned in my post, I did return to the crash area with the car after returning the boat, but wasn't confident I could locate it without the ability to reference Google satellite view against the flight path map. We were scheduled to drive the 2.5 hours home that afternoon and my wife wasn't gonna help me in the search. It was a challenging effort with so many indistinguishable downed trees and branches, but I did find it after a 45 min search.

The places I fly and the way I fly and film, I'm always at risk of a crash. Flying/filming close to trees and other objects, gimbal tilts, lateral moves, etc. the camera is not always oriented to the direction of travel, but it captures more cinematic video.

There were a series of errors on my part. I got an alert before the flight to calibrate the vision sensors, but I was in a boat on a lake, no computer, no cell service, Google maps, etc. I learned a lesson on a previous crash with my P3 4K to keep the video capture running when moving. I was capturing video, but my device cache had just run out (and wasn't set to delete older cache). So, the video clip for the crash flight didn't capture on my iPad... not helpful. I probably would have been able to ID the tree species in the video by the leaves (a Hickory). At least I was able to take some photos, which narrowed the search area to football field size.

The trees in Western Maryland are quite tall and some of them (the one I ran into) extend above the rest of the tree canopy. My wife was nagging me about getting the boat back, but I wanted to get one last flight in and sorta rushed it. IOW, it's all my wife's fault. I should have checked my altitude and flight line relative to the trees before a lateral move. My biggest concern is always losing footage over loss of drone (it's insured). Of course, I wouldn't want to be droneless in the middle of a flying vacation. I'm gonna buy a bunch of smaller 32GB cards to switch out between flights.
Do you have the cached video? Sounds pretty neat!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ