DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro location accuracy

Deepwater

Reactions
I have a need to pin point and place property markers in the mountains of Norway. My plan is to use the Mavic 2 Pro, fly to given coordinates (XY) and mark the property with a stake at that location. I think I typically have access to 12 to 16 satellites from what I remember flying in the area previously.

1. What tolerance in XY will the Mavic 2 Pro be at with given coordinates (plus minus)?
2. What other alternative drones and drone packages are there if I need tolerance within plus minus 1-m?

Appreciate your thoughts and ideas.
Thx

1. What tolerance in XY will the Mavic 2 Pro be at with given coordinates (plus minus)?
2. What other alternative drones and drone packages are there if I need tolerance within plus minus 1-m?
1. Your drone will be as accurate as consumer grade GPS.
That is not survey grade accuracy and will usually be within +/-2 metres, but could sometimes be even less accurate.

2. If you need sub-metre accuracy, you could look at DJI's Phantom 4 RTK
You'll find that it's considerably more expensive than what you are used to and has a steeper learning curve.

If you have to place markers at the boundary points, you'll be on the ground anyway.
You may as well just get a good terrestrial GPS receiver.
Something like this: Emlid – RTK GNSS receivers and accessories
I think I typically have access to 12 to 16 satellites from what I remember flying in the area previously.
Just like anywhere else in the world.

Reactions: sar104 and Thomas B
There are apps that allow gps position averaging for a cell phone. Don't know it that's doable on the M2, or if it would be workable as you may need to hover in place for a good while to get 1 meter accuracy.

My biggest gripe is that DJI doesn't provide the option to display on screen Lat and Lon real time. I think Litchi will do that.

Reactions: Gindra
There are apps that allow gps position averaging for a cell phone. Don't know it that's doable on the M2, or if it would be workable as you may need to hover in place for a good while to get 1 meter accuracy.

My biggest gripe is that DJI doesn't provide the option to display on screen Lat and Lon real time. I think Litchi will do that.
Heck, my $200 Hubsan 501s displays coordinates for both the drone and for the controller. Displayed on the controller's built-in screen. So, very doable!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio