DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro lost power at 16m and crashed

Skycap

Reactions
Hi Guys,
I was flying my Mavic 2 Pro yesterday and did a few short flights and they were all ok. On the last flight the drone was hovering at 16m and had been up for 1m15sec and suddenly lost power and crashed. The props weren't even spinning whet it hit the ground. The drone just fell straight down.
The battery popped out when the drone hit the drone hit the ground and the battery still seems ok. There was a weird burnt electrical smell that emanated from the drone.

Has anyone had a similar experience or know what the problem could be ? I've attached my flight log below and any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!
Flight Log

Hi Guys,
I was flying my Mavic 2 Pro yesterday and did a few short flights and they were all ok. On the last flight the drone was hovering at 16m and had been up for 1m15sec and suddenly lost power and crashed. The props weren't even spinning whet it hit the ground. The drone just fell straight down.
The battery popped out when the drone hit the drone hit the ground and the battery still seems ok. There was a weird burnt electrical smell that emanated from the drone.

Has anyone had a similar experience or know what the problem could be ? I've attached my flight log below and any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!
Flight Log

The smell is not good and would indicate, based also on the non-spinning blades, a power failure. I can’t see anything in the AirData log showing a definite cause before failure.

Was the smell from the battery or definitely the aircraft?

The smell is not good and would indicate, based also on the non-spinning blades, a power failure. I can’t see anything in the AirData log showing a definite cause before failure.

Was the smell from the battery or definitely the aircraft?

Strangely the battery is still working. No burning smell at all from the battery.

Reactions: hedrickr
Strangely the battery is still working. No burning smell at all from the battery.

Have you tried powering your aircraft since? I’d be a bit wary and be ready to remove the battery. A hot smell is definitely something to be concerned about and there are many causes for that but usually high current devices and often a component going short circuit.

Are you covered under the DJI Refresh? If so I would check it in.

I have posted on exactly this subject, since it happened to me about 10 days ago. In flight, the Mavic 2 Zoom (similar to Mavic 2 Pro in terms of construction and battery) simply ejects the battery.

I am reading more and more stories lately on this forum of similar situations.

I suspect the cause is related to battery swell that is undetectable until its too late. The design of the battery leaves no room for expansion, contrary to the design of the battery on the original Mavic Pro, where there is space for expansion. See photo.

You can view the thread on this in my posts under Mavic 2 General Discussions. I have copied the link to my thread on this matter:

I encourage more pilots to post on this issue as well as to seek out a fix to avoid this happening again.

Attachments

• 20200823_135232.jpg
    20200823_135232.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 131
  • 20200823_135232.jpg
    20200823_135232.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 128
I agree that this is not coincidence. Everyone who has a Mavic 2 series drone should post the circumstances of their crash when it involves battery ejection in flight.
Thanks for your support Skull Studios.

Reactions: Skull Studios
In reference to what is happening to many people owners of dji macic 2 pro or zoom, I proceeded to build myself a band with velcro, which should prevent the drone battery from disengaging, waiting for DJI to solve this serious problem.

Reactions: Skycap
After having a battery-eject related crash with my Typhoon H, I now use a velcro strap to ensure an ejection can't happen. GoPro's Karma also had this issue until they remedied it... but by that point the Karma had lost the game anyway.

Sorry for the crash -- it sucks I know.

Have you tried powering your aircraft since? I’d be a bit wary and be ready to remove the battery. A hot smell is definitely something to be concerned about and there are many causes for that but usually high current devices and often a component going short circuit.

Are you covered under the DJI Refresh? If so I would check it in.

No care refresh unfortunately. Just the warranty

I have posted on exactly this subject, since it happened to me about 10 days ago. In flight, the Mavic 2 Zoom (similar to Mavic 2 Pro in terms of construction and battery) simply ejects the battery.

I am reading more and more stories lately on this forum of similar situations.

I suspect the cause is related to battery swell that is undetectable until its too late. The design of the battery leaves no room for expansion, contrary to the design of the battery on the original Mavic Pro, where there is space for expansion. See photo.

You can view the thread on this in my posts under Mavic 2 General Discussions. I have copied the link to my thread on this matter:

I encourage more pilots to post on this issue as well as to seek out a fix to avoid this happening again.

The battery seems fine. No swell at all. It’s only had 3 cycles

Hi Guys,

Flight Log
There is a PGY tech clip for the M2P that is used for mounting a camera on top but it also slightly covers the front edge of the battery so it would prevent a pop out and insure that the battery is seated all the way.
Amazon.com: PGYTECH Extension Equipment Mount Adapter Connector for DJI Mavic 2 Pro Zoom Connect Gopro Action Cameras 360-degree Panoramic Cameras: Toys & Games

I've got well over 80 cycles on 6 batteries and have zero swell on any of them. Swelling isn't good and if a battery is swollen take it out of service. Charge them properly at room temperature and not directly after a flight. Let batteries stand on end as if theyre in the hub. Discharge 100 percent into hibernation mode via USB adapter.do this every 10 or 20 cycles. If one gets stuck and won't catch a charge preheat the battery and retry charging this usually will bring back a dead battery with few cycles.
Preheat in sub temperatures, in flight the drone generates enough heat. I land my aircraft at around 25 percent, 35 I'm getting a warning. I'm power sensitive in cold temperatures as batteries can go from good to why am I landing real quick. As far as the swelling they're not safe to use making your aircraft a danger to you and any other environmental factors. This in turn creates more rules because of a swelled battery that has popped out of a drone from not respecting your equipment. I've also never seen a drone battery swell so bad in one flight to pop out of drone. Bring this to dji attention and I guarantee it will be considered pilot error. Sorry for the long winded message but it's issues like this which have made this hobby unreachable for alot of people with all the restrictions in place and coming. Were under a microscopes as far as legislation alterations go so lead by example.

I have M2 swollen batteries that I've tested and have only lost a minute or two of original capacity. I won't use them for normal flights, but they're perfectly fine for low, close tests where a sudden power loss would not likely cause damage, ground work such as firmware updates or messing around with settings/waypoints, or warming up on first flight of the session.

After sitting around at storage charge for months at room temperature, the swelling disappeared or not easily noticed. I'll have to do a hover test to see if they swell after use. I suspect they will.

Just FYI: There really is no warming up the AC for a session. It's the batteries themselves that need the warmup, and warming up the AC with an old swollen battery isn't going to change the fact that the flight battery may still need warming up.

It takes longer to get IMU and GPS lock on first flight than subsequent flights. Sometimes as much as 2 minutes.
Hence the "warmup". The P3 series actually says "warming up". I'm sure that's a dumbing down of the actual reason for the delay.

And temps around here are rarely low enough for battery temperature to be relevant.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242