DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro, Lost prop mid air

robswede88

Reactions
So I was out flying this past weekend. My first session went perfect and I got some great pics. But when I drove to another location, all hell broke. I fired up my drone and after some seconds, one of the prop blades flew away mid air and then the drone crashed hard into the ground. I flown for a couple of years and never had I witness this before. Really weird.

I'm trying to get some financial compensation (For broken gimbal) from the propeller manufacturer but they say they have never heard of anything like this before.

First log from earlier the same day: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Log from crash: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

248183048_10157690785697493_4766071484923202386_n.jpg248688214_10157690785627493_3745388313261847131_n.jpg248175300_10157690785837493_2780504133362259105_n.jpg
IMG_0595.jpeg

Last edited:
sorry for the incident with your drone
prop failure is something that comes with the territory
even if you put a new set on every time you flew ,it would not guarantee that the props dont fail
it is a consumable item and there are so many different stresses ,applied to the props during flight ,which could cause them to fail,not just from hitting something
all we as fliers can do, is to regularly check them for wear and damage, and change them if we find anything
no producer of props will guarantee them or put a expected service life on them
because there are to many variables in how they are used

Hate to see that but as stated, it happens and the Prop Manu isn't going to give you any compensation. That's just part of this industry. Things happens, part break, and bad decisions can ruin a day. Every time you take off could be the last time that aircraft flies again... only way to NEVER crash for sure is to NEVER fly at all.

It is worrisome. This is a reminder to check my props. For me, it’s just another factor to not fly over people.

sorry for the incident with your drone
prop failure is something that comes with the territory
even if you put a new set on every time you flew ,it would not guarantee that the props dont fail
it is a consumable item and there are so many different stresses ,applied to the props during flight ,which could cause them to fail,not just from hitting something
all we as fliers can do, is to regularly check them for wear and damage, and change them if we find anything
no producer of props will guarantee them or put a expected service life on them
because there are to many variables in how they are used
Yes, I guess so. I use to check the props before every start and this set av props was no more than 5-6 months old but I guess accidents like this happends sooner or later.

Hate to see that but as stated, it happens and the Prop Manu isn't going to give you any compensation. That's just part of this industry. Things happens, part break, and bad decisions can ruin a day. Every time you take off could be the last time that aircraft flies again... only way to NEVER crash for sure is to NEVER fly at all.
Yes, I got at least 50 hours flight time before this crash and I think the gimbal arm and lens is the only thing besides new props which need to be purchased.

Reactions: Droniac
I know others have a vastly different opinion on this but.... I only use OEM props on my UAS. With a Single Failure Point I tend to trust the engineers who designed the "system" as a whole more than an aftermarket manufacturer. Just my 2 cents.

..Things happens, part break ...Every time you take off could be the last time that aircraft flies again...
Yeah, & to spin further from this ... this reality is something you need to factor in when & where you fly, if it happens you don't want to come crashing down onto something or someone causing severe damage/injury.

So I was out flying this past weekend. My first session went perfect and I got some great pics. But when I drove to another location, all hell broke. I fired up my drone and after some seconds, one of the prop blades flew away mid air and then the drone crashed hard into the ground. I flown for a couple of years and never had I witness this before. Really weird.

I'm trying to get some financial compensation (For broken gimbal) from the propeller manufacturer but they say they have never heard of anything like this before.

View attachment 137436
Looks like the original DJI propeller to me. Regarding stress on the propellers. Keep in mind that if the propellers are not parked properly for storage, they might be exposed to stress as well.

That said, shipping might also be a factor. I remember receiving a pack of original DJI propellers (8331) for my Mavic Pro some time last year where one propeller hub already had a crack when I unpacked it.

Anyway, I replace the props at least once a year or every 50 flight hours. Of course, if I identify a nick or bruise, they go into the bin sooner 😊

Last edited:

View attachment 137435View attachment 137436View attachment 137437
View attachment 137438
Your situation may be different, I had a prop fly off on my Pro 2, luckily it landed on grass. I used to be a real knob and clean my drone, including props after each flight, I figured a cleaning product had weakened the plastic. Or perhaps just cheap eBay props, ( wasn’t the original that broke )
Cheers

Your situation may be different, I had a prop fly off on my Pro 2, luckily it landed on grass. I used to be a real knob and clean my drone, including props after each flight, I figured a cleaning product had weakened the plastic. Or perhaps just cheap eBay props, ( wasn’t the original that broke )
Cheers
Never use a solvent to clean the props since it will change the material characteristics. To clean the props you should only use a damped cloth.

Last edited:
Reactions: robswede88
Flakiness in the attachments of MAS props to the hub is exactly why I tried them once and immediately put the OEM props back onto my drone. I used the MAS props one more time to test their claim they allow for longer flights (on an Air 2 they don't), and now they are back in their pretty cloth sack where they'll remain as a reminder to not believe marketing claims.

Reactions: Starz
Not that it helps much, or at all, but something just occurred to me. If you still have the bit left behind can you post a GOOD photo of the break surfaces?
The nature of the break surface can often suggest the mechanism behind the failure.
A practising engineer may recognise them.
Looking at the 4th photo the break surface nearest your thumb looks smooth whilst the surface of the other side looks rough and hollowed out.
I have very vague and distant recollections of the former being a characteristic of a fatigue failure i.e. an initial small crack etc. that grows slowly over time and cycles, and the latter a tensile ( and sudden) failure but I only ever saw them in steels.
I have no idea if they leave the same surfaces in this sort of plastic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S