DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Night Time, Landing issue. Refuses to land manually or RTH.

Reactions
Last night I used my Mavic 2 Pro with full battery and when attempting to land manually the drone would turn on landing lights and stopped about 5 feet above the landing zone, I attempted to land with manual controls and the drone kept "bouncing" back up a couple inches each time I would attempt to land. The software gave me Obstruction notifications and refused to land via RTH and Slide to Land also failed. The battery got to critical and the drone proceeded to homepoint, again around 5 ft the drone stopped and thankfully the software asked me to Force Land and I accepted, the drone landed safely and is flying safe today. What might have happened? I used it around 9PM earlier with no problems. Please don't roast me on flying at night. Beautiful city scape in background.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-07-22_[21-46-33].txt
    238.5 KB · Views: 9
The other day I performed some tests on the bottom sensors of my M2P just out of curiosity on what the camera and IR sensor are responsible for.

When the bottom cameras were covered up with tapes, the craft went into the problem you have described 3 times out of 5 landing attempts. I could land the craft only after the bottom sensors were turned off. I did not receive the warning message "Downward Obstacle Sensing is not functioning.__Ambient Light is too weak" because the sunlight was strong and the tape did let some light to go through.

May be in your case the landing area was too smooth and clean for the camera to see any patterns or textures so it thought it was blind and dare not land ?

Last edited:
I've had this once or twice over the space of a year. Drone isnt able to detect stable ground to land on. Just move your drone to a different surface and land there. Your bottom landing light should come on whilst you are landing too. (You can turn this off in the settings, but its not advised)

I once tried to land on a picnic table. My MP2 told me there was an obstacle and wouldn't land. I tried to force it straight down onto the table but it swerved like it was affected by a magnate and hit the attach bench on the way down. Fortunately is wasn't damaged, but for now on I'm only landing in open areas.

Last night I used my Mavic 2 Pro with full battery and when attempting to land manually the drone would turn on landing lights and stopped about 5 feet above the landing zone, I attempted to land with manual controls ...

If you turn off "landing protection" in sensor settings, you can hand catch (or land i believe). Also, I think holding down negative throttle will force a descent even if landing protection is on.

Reactions: DougMcC
Last night I used my Mavic 2 Pro with full battery and when attempting to land manually the drone would turn on landing lights and stopped about 5 feet above the landing zone, I attempted to land with manual controls and the drone kept "bouncing" back up a couple inches each time I would attempt to land. The software gave me Obstruction notifications and refused to land via RTH and Slide to Land also failed. The battery got to critical and the drone proceeded to homepoint, again around 5 ft the drone stopped and thankfully the software asked me to Force Land and I accepted, the drone landed safely and is flying safe today. What might have happened? I used it around 9PM earlier with no problems. Please don't roast me on flying at night. Beautiful city scape in background.
If you use a bright color landing pad that it can recognize I bet it will land

Reactions: christopherg98
Only had the issue at night when the ground was lit with landing light. Best guess is that the shadows cast by the landing light triggered the unsafe landing conditions. Switched to landing pad, no more problems.

If you are flying recreationally it is fine to fly at night. Since they don't say you can't then you can.

If you are flying recreationally it is fine to fly at night. Since they don't say you can't then you can.

I read somewhere that you still need the strobe lights to see where is the drone but not the waiver like the commercial remote pilots. So far, not roasted for night flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000