DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro out of control, crashed into lake... help?

codaroommedia

Reactions
Hi folks!

Long time pilot (P2V, P2V+, P3P, Mavic Air, Mavic 2 Pro), first time poster! I'm hoping one or more of you could offer any insight or expertise with my situation. I was on a family trip in Pontiac, MO last weekend, and took the Mavic 2P up for some sunset shots the first night with zero issues. Have always felt the Mavic 2 was a super stable, reliable drone. The next day, I took it up to view the young cousins out tubing on the boat, and all conditions were great. Weather was clear, minimal wind, clear LOS to the drone, IMU and compass calibrated before the flight. Never lost GPS or radio signal, but 5 minutes into the flight, flying to the left, the drone picked up a mind of its own. It tilted at an extreme angle on its own, and within literally 2 seconds (verified on the flight logs), it ascended from roughly 32ft to 62ft (with no left stick command), and speed jumped from 24mph to 48mph+ (in Positioning mode).

From there, it was only a matter of 5 or 6 more seconds before the drone headed down sideways into the water, not responding to any commands. The drone threw no warnings or errors until it hit the water (loss of signal, check antenna).

I have DJI Care Refresh, but the lake is over 135 ft deep where it went own, and diving isn't allowed at that depth, even with the experts, since the lake feeds an enormous dam.... obviously, if I can't recover the drone, the Refresh plan doesn't help me. Is anyone here well-versed in looking at the flight data to shed some light on what caused this to happen? I've already reached out to DJI and provided them the info, and while I'm hopeful and confident that they'll stand behind the product malfunctioning, it would be helpful to know what could have caused this for future reference... it's scary to think if that type of loss of control happened over land where it could potentially have affected people on the ground, or if it had struck one of the kids tubing at such a high rate of speed...

Thank you in advance!!

I wonder if it encountered a sudden gust of wind. Mini tornado?
That flight log doesn't have all the information. If you can get the .DAT file, someone here might be able to look at it and see if there's any error messages from the IMU, to determine if it's an actual malfunction.

Thanks for the reply! I doubt that... the weather was exceptionally calm, and the drone wouldn’t respond to the command to turn or ascend as soon as it shot up doubling in height. I do have the .dat file... how would I get that looked at?

Thanks again!

Hi folks!

Long time pilot (P2V, P2V+, P3P, Mavic Air, Mavic 2 Pro), first time poster! I'm hoping one or more of you could offer any insight or expertise with my situation. I was on a family trip in Pontiac, MO last weekend, and took the Mavic 2P up for some sunset shots the first night with zero issues. Have always felt the Mavic 2 was a super stable, reliable drone. The next day, I took it up to view the young cousins out tubing on the boat, and all conditions were great. Weather was clear, minimal wind, clear LOS to the drone, IMU and compass calibrated before the flight. Never lost GPS or radio signal, but 5 minutes into the flight, flying to the left, the drone picked up a mind of its own. It tilted at an extreme angle on its own, and within literally 2 seconds (verified on the flight logs), it ascended from roughly 32ft to 62ft (with no left stick command), and speed jumped from 24mph to 48mph+ (in Positioning mode).

From there, it was only a matter of 5 or 6 more seconds before the drone headed down sideways into the water, not responding to any commands. The drone threw no warnings or errors until it hit the water (loss of signal, check antenna).

I have DJI Care Refresh, but the lake is over 135 ft deep where it went own, and diving isn't allowed at that depth, even with the experts, since the lake feeds an enormous dam.... obviously, if I can't recover the drone, the Refresh plan doesn't help me. Is anyone here well-versed in looking at the flight data to shed some light on what caused this to happen? I've already reached out to DJI and provided them the info, and while I'm hopeful and confident that they'll stand behind the product malfunctioning, it would be helpful to know what could have caused this for future reference... it's scary to think if that type of loss of control happened over land where it could potentially have affected people on the ground, or if it had struck one of the kids tubing at such a high rate of speed...

Thank you in advance!!
IMU and compass calibrated before the flight.
Are you saying the first night you did not do an imu and compass calibration but you did the imu and compass calibration the second night and then things went haywire?

Reactions: paul050079
yes, at the end of the flight drone got up to 19m from 8m, burning 24A, no throttle input is visible, then it drops down from that altitude ignoring throttle input. 24A is quite a bit for mavic, and it also shows front right motor taking 14A alone - quite a bit for those small motors. odd.

It kills me to not know...I always get this thought when i read the drone flew great, no problems...then a imu and or compass calibration was done then the drone flips out and crashes... I wonder and I may never know if and I mean if the drone did not get those calibrations would the drone have crashed...man that irks me...

maybe a prop failure? I am just guessing but that would cause it to do that. Or a Motor going bad.

yes, at the end of the flight drone got up to 19m from 8m, burning 24A, no throttle input is visible, then it drops down from that altitude ignoring throttle input. 24A is quite a bit for mavic, and it also shows front right motor taking 14A alone - quite a bit for those small motors. odd.
The individual motor currents are only partially valid. This is because the M2 (and MPP) use FOC (field oriented control). Generally, the sum of the motor currents exceeds the battery current.

The right front motor has another current spike at 238 secs in addition to the spike at 321 secs. It appears that both of those were commanded though.

The right front motor has another current spike at 238 secs in addition to the spike at 321 secs. It appears that both of those were commanded though.
The uncommanded climb starts at 5:22.4 but there's something strange before that.
From 5:21.4 to 5:22.1, the speed jumps considerably higher than the drone should be flying in P-GPS mode
Then the up/down issue commences.
What's that speed all about?

Reactions: charliesRig
The individual motor currents are only partially valid. This is because the M2 (and MPP) use FOC (field oriented control). Generally, the sum of the motor currents exceeds the battery current.

it needs somebody to dig into the txt file and correlate to the xls sheet of all signals - i do not know how to do it - dunno what to look at in the xls. if it went into the diag mode it still does not explain the climb with no throttle input and then a subsequent drop. go figure, dunno. odd stuff. one thing is good - in majority of other cases stuff like that was correlating with IMUs being dead or not producing data - here all IMUs were alive.

Last edited:
Rookie here diving into this type or research for the second time and dug out these files. All I have time for ATM.

Attachments

• 2019-06-20_11-26-06_FLY013.log.txt
    9.4 KB · Views: 40
Ah, posting the .csv file directly is not allowed here? Upload failed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas