Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

Mavic 2 Pro Overheat?

Has your Mavic 2 Pro overheated and crashed?

• No after less than 10 successful flights.

Votes: 56 60.2%
  • No after less than 20 successful flights.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • No after less than 30 successful flights.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Yes after less than 10 flights.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Yes after less than 20 flights.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Yes after less than 30 flights.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

John Locke

Loc
Yorba Linda, CA
Yeah...you know....I always wondered why dji doesn't build a customer service center here in the US. We definitely buy enough of their products to justify the expense. The language barrier and customer service expectations here in the US make things quite difficult.
DJI has their US service center located in Cerritos, CA. They actually expanded it about a year ago when they moved to Cerritos from Carson, CA. That's where US customers send their drone to be repaired/replaced for warranty or out-of warranty work.

3 out of 4 craft that I have returned for warranty repair have been replaced. The record for getting my craft back is 9 days, the worst is 3wks, and I live 20 miles from Cerritos, overnight shipping with UPS ground. One of them, my P4 had a cracked shell at the corner of the battery opening. It was 362 days old and they replaced the whole craft under warranty with a brand new P4, not a refurb.

I also returned my Mavic Pro which had a gimbal go bad about 4mos after I got it. They replaced the craft with a new one. This is the one that took 3wks because they wanted to charge me a refresh fee, but I never crashed it, there wasn't a mark on it, I always pampered it because it seemed so fragile. I had to argue with them for a week and finally they admitted they had no justification for charging me a refresh fee, so it was covered under warranty. What a hassle, but it all worked out. Many owners had gimbal problems with Mavic Pro it turns out. This made me a bit sour about buying refresh policies in the future.

Only on my P4P warranty return did DJI actually repair the craft by replacing the gimbal/camera assembly, which was faulty out of the box. I bought the P4P a full 6 months after initial release, but I still got a bad one. However that P4P has been awesome ever since, it's my go-to craft.

Last edited:

Mavic 57

DJI has their US service center located in Cerritos, CA. They actually expanded it about a year ago when they moved to Cerritos from Carson, CA. That's where US customers send their drone to be repaired/replaced for warranty or out-of warranty work.

3 out of 4 craft that I have returned for warranty repair have been replaced. The record for getting my craft back is 9 days, the worst is 3wks, and I live 20 miles from Cerritos, overnight shipping with UPS ground. One of them, my P4 had a cracked shell at the corner of the battery opening. It was 362 days old and they replaced the whole craft under warranty with a brand new P4, not a refurb.

I also returned my Mavic Pro which had a gimbal go bad about 4mos after I got it. They replaced the craft with a new one. This is the one that took 3wks because they wanted to charge me a refresh fee, but I never crashed it, there wasn't a mark on it, I always pampered it because it seemed so fragile. I had to argue with them for a week and finally they admitted they had no justification for charging me a refresh fee, so it was covered under warranty. What a hassle, but it all worked out. Many owners had gimbal problems with Mavic Pro it turns out. This made me a bit sour about buying refresh policies in the future.

Only on my P4P warranty return did DJI actually repair the craft by replacing the gimbal/camera assembly, which was faulty out of the box. I bought the P4P a full 6 months after initial release, but I still got a bad one. However that P4P has been awesome ever since, it's my go-to craft.
Wow you have been busy returning drones.

John Locke

Loc
Yorba Linda, CA
Wow you have been busy returning drones.
Yes, I fly a lot, 750 flights, 1500 flight miles logged, 145hrs flight time after 3yrs flying DJI craft. I'm a drone junky, pretty much addicted. I put these drones through a lot, except my MavicP, which hasn't been flown very much. I only use it for animal videos because it's less intimidating having less noise. The P4 stress crack didn't surprise me, as it had a lot of hours on it. I have a tech job that takes me all over the country, so I always tote my drone along in a backpack to fly a mission that's usually pre-planned. I lay in bed at night thinking about my next mission. I'm possessed. :p

All of my returns to DJI have been warranty related. DJI's quality consistency isn't the best, I think they know it because they have to deal with the returns. Only my two original P3P's haven't had to be return for warranty reasons, they worked good the whole time, still do. But P4, MavicP and P4P have all been returned at least once. When you get a good one, it's awesome. My P4P is incredible, even though it had problems out of the box initially.

Last edited:

Thunderdrones

Approved Vendor
Loc
Duluth, Georgia
Yes, I fly a lot, 750 flights, 1500 flight miles logged, 145hrs flight time after 3yrs flying DJI craft. I'm a drone junky, pretty much addicted. I put these drones through a lot, except my MavicP, which hasn't been flown very much. I only use it for animal videos because it's less intimidating having less noise. The P4 stress crack didn't surprise me, as it had a lot of hours on it. I have a tech job that takes me all over the country, so I always tote my drone along in a backpack to fly a mission that's usually pre-planned. I lay in bed at night thinking about my next mission. I'm possessed. :p
There are worse addictions. Golf, alcohol, gambling are usually worse than being addicted to drones. I think drones are a good addiction.

John Locke

Loc
Yorba Linda, CA
There are worse addictions. Golf, alcohol, gambling are usually worse than being addicted to drones. I think drones are a good addiction.
Correct, lots of others. I gave up my sandrail addiction about 5yrs ago. I had that addiction for 25yrs! My last car cost $45K! 400HP turbo subaru, 1900lb Funco. It's easy to get addicted in a Funco. I miss that adrenaline.

upload_2018-9-2_15-20-55.png

upload_2018-9-2_15-28-41.png

Sorry to wander off subject.

Let's talk about overheating.

Last edited:

MavicMikeMinh

Loc
UK
It turns on then shuts off, the battery stayed in and the props are fine they weren’t spinning at the time of crash just scratched up a little.
Did I get this right, your props weren't spinning at the time of your crash? Is this slightly unusual wording, my limited command of the English language or did I miss something essential? With my MP the props do spin when it's up in the air, in fact, I struggle to think how it could "fly" otherwise. Now, the definitions of flying might vary, but I'm tempted to put it this way: "Throwing it out of the window ain't actually flying as such" :)

Happy to hear any clarification, seriously.

P.S.: Please don't call the Hasselblad camera a "Hassel", this is real pain to the ears of any Hasselblad user. Insiders may abbreviate it to the "Blad", but only after 30 years of using one.

Brian_MavicPro

Hello. My Mavic 2 Pro got very hot; at the conclusion of shooting a 6 second "free mode hyperlapse" a few days ago. I was about 2/3rds into my second battery when I decided I was done for the day. I only gave about a 2-minute pause in flying between batteries. When folded the arms to stuff it in my bag, I noticed it was too hot to touch. I carefully grabbed the most external part (the tips of the arms/motors), then placed it in my bag. All the while, crossing my fingers that the battery would not spontaneously combust..no kidding. I kept my eye on the bag instead of the road on the way home, lol.

Ironically, I used one battery today at a different place to catch a sunset. I did a 5-second hyperlapse video. I also sent it around doing video and single shots. When I set her down at about 30% battery life, there was no extreme heat like the time I went through two batteries.

Conclusion? Not certain, but keep an eye on this. I have owned P2, P3, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air and I have NEVER felt one get this hot. I just assume it was "normal" for this drone since it did not catch fire.

lil Glock

curious what was the temp outside.

Or do you think the onboard fan went out?

I went from a P3S to a M2Z. One of the first thing I noticed is that the fans on both the drone and remote are constantly spinning. It kicked in in 75F cloudy conditions (I didn't even get to fly because firmware was updating and dog was waiting for me at home) and continued to spin in my AC'ed car while it was updating firmware. The fans were again spinning heavily when I flew it when I got home.

I originally wanted to skin the bird (pun intended) but now I'm afraid of having a catastrophic overheat.

Thunderdrones

Approved Vendor
Loc
Duluth, Georgia
I went from a P3S to a M2Z. One of the first thing I noticed is that the fans on both the drone and remote are constantly spinning. It kicked in in 75F cloudy conditions (I didn't even get to fly because firmware was updating and dog was waiting for me at home) and continued to spin in my AC'ed car while it was updating firmware. The fans were again spinning heavily when I flew it when I got home.

I originally wanted to skin the bird (pun intended) but now I'm afraid of having a catastrophic overheat.
You are coming from a P3S, which has no cooling fans on either the controller or the bird. The fans you are hearing are normal when operating the Mavic Pro or M2. The ambient temperatures have very little affect on when the controller and drone fans turn on, unless you are flying in extreme conditions. The fans will kick on when the internal temperature of the Mavic or controller hit 106°. When you are updating the firmware on the devices. they are working harder ands creating more heat. The fans will kick on and stay on. If anyone needs any further explanation of this process, please ask on this thread. DO NOT jump to conclusions based on what you think is happening unless you know why it is happening.

***The fans turning on will NOT lead to catastrophic failure of any Mavic***

Last edited:
You are coming from a P3S, which has no cooling fans on either the controller or the bird. The fans you are hearing are normal when operating the Mavic Pro or M2. The ambient temperatures have very little affect on when the controller and drone fans turn on, unless you are flying in extreme conditions. The fans will kick on when the internal temperature of the Mavic or controller hit 106°. When you are updating the firmware on the devices. they are working harder ands creating more heat. The fans will kick on and stay on. If anyone needs any further explanation of this process, please ask on this thread. DO NOT jump to conclusions based on what you think is happening unless you know why it is happening.

***The fans turning on will NOT lead to catastrophic failure of any Mavic***
Holy Guacamole! Chill out dude I was merely posing a question based on someone else’s experience.

Thunderdrones

Approved Vendor
Loc
Duluth, Georgia
Holy Guacamole! Chill out dude I was merely posing a question based on someone else’s experience.
Sorry if I overreacted, but "catastrophic overheat" when all their drone was doing was cooling itself might not be the best term to use.

Last edited:

GavieboyDji

Now I'm starting to wish I'd heeded the advice of one of the "drone experts" who said we should all wait 3-6 months to buy a Mavic 2. Getting up this morning and reading all these posts have made me seriously regret my decision to ditch my PERFECT and fully loaded MP.:mad:
I'm still waiting and I've kept my fully loaded mp1 just got in from flying it. I will give it till next year see what is happening then.
But as far as I know if you do buy the pro and want to use all dlog you better **** have a monster rig to edit the files that's another purchase you need on top of buying the pro2 as well a new Monster computer.

gusri.candra

I have flied MP over 150 hrs with no single overheated issue. Perhaps the heatsink provided at bottom case just perfect. M2P has no heatsink, that's why still wait and see to replace the old mavic.

John Locke

Loc
Yorba Linda, CA
What happened to the OP? Was the drone replaced? Did the replacement fly ok?

My M2Z flies great, no heat issues. The zoom is very handy. For me the zoom provides more value than the 1" sensor in the pro. I have a P4P also and when comparing it's pretty darn close in quality, except for low light scenarios where the 1" sensor shines.

Thunderdrones

Approved Vendor
Loc
Duluth, Georgia
What happened to the OP? Was the drone replaced? Did the replacement fly ok?

My M2Z flies great, no heat issues. The zoom is very handy. For me the zoom provides more value than the 1" sensor in the pro. I have a P4P also and when comparing it's pretty darn close in quality, except for low light scenarios where the 1" sensor shines.
I was just wondering the same thing.

Poll results so far show that out of 87 people who responded, 5 people, or 9% had a problem with the drone overheating and causing a crash. Out of that 9%, 90% had the issue within the first 10 flights. So, I interpret that as if your drone is going to fail due to an overheating problem, it will almost certainly happen within the first 10 flights.

From what I know about electronics, if it's going to fail, it will happen when it is new. What the results show here is that if you make it past the first 10 flights, your drone will be 99% safe to fly. I will take those results any day. My experience after repairing thousands of drones, is that mechanical failure happens less than 1% of the time. 99% of the crashes are due to operator error.

There dont seem to be any followups since September. This would be a good time to revive this thread.

paulatkin73

Loc
Massachusetts
I was just wondering the same thing.

Poll results so far show that out of 87 people who responded, 5 people, or 9% had a problem with the drone overheating and causing a crash. Out of that 9%, 90% had the issue within the first 10 flights. So, I interpret that as if your drone is going to fail due to an overheating problem, it will almost certainly happen within the first 10 flights.

From what I know about electronics, if it's going to fail, it will happen when it is new. What the results show here is that if you make it past the first 10 flights, your drone will be 99% safe to fly. I will take those results any day. My experience after repairing thousands of drones, is that mechanical failure happens less than 1% of the time. 99% of the crashes are due to operator error.

There dont seem to be any followups since September. This would be a good time to revive this thread.
Hi, from your experience, did you see any evidence of cpu overheating due to 4k fov mode processing, or not?
I tested my m2p indoors at 73deg temp recording 4k fov and hovering for 3/4 battery, saw no issues. Body felt bit warm on touch after, but, nothing excessive.