DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Pics not Sharp ?

harleymhs

Reactions
I think DJI def screwed us with the Mavic 2 Pro.. 1" sensor? I dont think so... I own a few cameras with 1" sensors and they are tack sharp , great in low light and colors are amazing.. This Mavic 2 Pro photos are worse than my Mavic Pro.. ( which I just sold ) with much regret! Just ranting sorry guys.. But I spent 1600 on the fly more package and basically tossed my money in the garbage. I see a lot of you tube videos saying the same thing.. My mistake thats for sure.. Anyone want this Mavic 2 Pro with the Fly More package send me a PM..

DJI_0240.JPGDJI_0241.JPG

The sensor actually has absolutely nothing to do with sharpness beyond the choice of OLPF which is very minor. The sensor is not the culprit of an image that is not sharp. You can put a garbage lens or an amazing lens in front of a 1" sensor and get the predictable results. The sensor also has nothing to do with the bad color (which isn't that bad IMO), that is entirely the processing and you can control all of that in post.

Your image settings look OK based on the EXIF data.

Were you trying to pick the focus or did you lock it to infinity?

The first one looks slightly out of focus, the boat area (what I imagine is the subject) is pretty sharp, but the whites are blown which is not the sensor's fault.That second image actually looks quite good at 100%, but is underexposed by probably 0.7EV which isn't helping anything.

I'm also guessing those are straight out of camera JPEGs rather than processed RAW files, so you are at the mercy of DJI's JPEG engine which is not nearly as good as what you might be used to with other cameras like a Sony RX100 1-6 or Nikon 1 series that share that 1" Sony sensor.

What you need to do is some controlled testing. Can you also post some samples (at similar distances and camera settings) with your other 1" sensor cameras that you think are a lot better?

Also if you're scrutinizing the corners, a lens that wide is not going to have perfect corners. I have $2,000 DSLR lenses that don't look much better in the extreme corners.

I'd suggest not giving up yet - at least not until you've done some controlled testing. And don't expect it to put out the same image quality as something like a Sony RX100 which has a much better lens. The still image quality from the M2P is exponentially better than the Air or original Mavic Pro.

Reactions: Kingram
The sensor actually has absolutely nothing to do with sharpness beyond the choice of OLPF which is very minor. The sensor is not the culprit of an image that is not sharp. You can put a garbage lens or an amazing lens in front of a 1" sensor and get the predictable results. The sensor also has nothing to do with the bad color (which isn't that bad IMO), that is entirely the processing and you can control all of that in post.

Your image settings look OK based on the EXIF data.

Were you trying to pick the focus or did you lock it to infinity?

The first one looks slightly out of focus, the boat area (what I imagine is the subject) is pretty sharp, but the whites are blown which is not the sensor's fault.That second image actually looks quite good at 100%, but is underexposed by probably 0.7EV which isn't helping anything.

I'm also guessing those are straight out of camera JPEGs rather than processed RAW files, so you are at the mercy of DJI's JPEG engine which is not nearly as good as what you might be used to with other cameras like a Sony RX100 1-6 or Nikon 1 series that share that 1" Sony sensor.

What you need to do is some controlled testing. Can you also post some samples (at similar distances and camera settings) with your other 1" sensor cameras that you think are a lot better?

Also if you're scrutinizing the corners, a lens that wide is not going to have perfect corners. I have $2,000 DSLR lenses that don't look much better in the extreme corners.

I'd suggest not giving up yet - at least not until you've done some controlled testing. And don't expect it to put out the same image quality as something like a Sony RX100 which has a much better lens. The still image quality from the M2P is exponentially better than the Air or original Mavic Pro.

Thanks for your reply ! I understand what you are saying but if u look at the boat on the trailer and my blue jeep in the second pic u will see what I'm talking about .. white balance was set on cloudy so it didn't shift , focus I press half down on shutter button and then when beep heard press to execute the photo ! These are not raw but JPEG ... didn't know there was an option to change focus to infinity . Not sure if that would fix the quality of these photos ! My mavic pro blew this mavic 2 pro Away in stills !
I guess the lens on this camera is no match for the 1" sensor ! My phantom 2 was better than this !

Looking closely at the focusing alone, it does seem out of focus. Have you tried tapping on the screen to focus then taking the picture (tap the area you would like to focus on)? When you do the half-press to focus it focuses on the middle of the screen only, on your jeep photo that would have been the asphalt, the boat photo should have been able to find something. It is also very over-cast causing a 1/200th shutter, if it was windy at all that could cause blur too. Just some thoughts.

Also in my experience with the M2P the lens is the sharpest at f/2.8 and f/4 but this will give you a shallower depth of field (so foreground and background of your focus area may be slightly blurred). Your shots were at f/5.

Reactions: sivadnivek24
Thanks for your reply ! I understand what you are saying but if u look at the boat on the trailer and my blue jeep in the second pic u will see what I'm talking about .. white balance was set on cloudy so it didn't shift , focus I press half down on shutter button and then when beep heard press to execute the photo ! These are not raw but JPEG ... didn't know there was an option to change focus to infinity . Not sure if that would fix the quality of these photos ! My mavic pro blew this mavic 2 pro Away in stills !
I guess the lens on this camera is no match for the 1" sensor ! My phantom 2 was better than this !

Your blue jeep is acceptably sharp considering the distance, in my opinion. Since it is so far away, it is comprised of an extremely small number of the pixels in that 20MP image (probably 1% or less), so you can't expect much there. It's detailed enough that I can clearly tell what type of haircut the person standing beside the jeep has, and that is from probably a couple hundred feet away. Honestly I think that second image completely acceptable other than being a bit underexposed. I have a Sony RX100 VA (same 1" sensor as in the Mavic 2 Pro) and while it's a bit better it's not night & day when I am comparing images at 100%. I think if you took one of your other 1" sensor cameras and took a picture of something occupying a similarly small portion of the frame, you would see it looks similar when zoomed in. Any significant differences you see would be lens or processing based.

With all due respect the original Mavic's image quality is nowhere near that good - and if you decide to compare it to some of your old images, remember to downsample your Mavic 2 Pro images to 12MP otherwise you aren't looking at a fair comparison. Do you have a sample from your original Mavic that you feel blows these away? Maybe that would help add some context.

All I am saying is don't give up yet. It sounds like it's fairly new and I think you will see that it is in fact much better than your old Mavic. Try locking the focus to infinity and see if that helps - at those distances it should be fine. Or take it out to your backyard or something and do some controlled tests vs. another 1" sensor camera you have.

Reactions: Meta4
Also in my experience with the M2P the lens is the sharpest at f/2.8 and f/4 but this will give you a shallower depth of field (so foreground and background of your focus area may be slightly blurred). Your shots were at f/5.

On that 20MP Sony sensor, diffraction begins to degrade the image beyond F4, so that is why the wider apertures are sharper. Due to how the light passes through the entrance pupil of the lens, information intended for a single pixel begins to 'spill' over onto adjacent pixels beyond F4. This is primarily due to the tiny pixel size. Depending on how picky you are, you may not notice until F5.6 or so but at the higher apertures it is extremely apparent.

One of his images was at F4.5, the other at F5, both shots were not at F5. Depth of field is mostly irrelevant at that distance on a sensor this small. For example at F5 the Mavic 2 Pro has the equivalent depth of field of F13.5 on a full frame camera. It's the same reason your smartphone camera and it's fixed F1.8 (or similar) aperture has just about everything in focus all the time - that 1/2.3" sensor is giving you the DOF equivalent of approximately F10 on a full frame camera.

Reactions: noosaguy
Depth of field is mostly irrelevant at that distance on a sensor this small.
True, that's why I said slightly blurred. I have found at F2.8 on closer subjects you can still see the shallower DOF with the M2P, but you're right, it is not very noticeable at higher altitudes.

But I spent 1600 on the fly more package and basically tossed my money in the garbage.
Perhaps the money you wasted was on your eyeglasses.
if u look at the boat on the trailer and my blue jeep in the second pic u will see what I'm talking about
Looking at the boat and the car, I don't see a problem.
You aren't being very realistic.
didn't know there was an option to change focus to infinity . Not sure if that would fix the quality of these photos !
It wouldn't.
It's always better to focus on the subject rather than a distant horizon.
My mavic pro blew this mavic 2 pro Away in stills !
The word for that is hyperbole.

I think DJI def screwed us with the Mavic 2 Pro.. 1" sensor? I dont think so... I own a few cameras with 1" sensors and they are tack sharp , great in low light and colors are amazing.. This Mavic 2 Pro photos are worse than my Mavic Pro.. ( which I just sold ) with much regret! Just ranting sorry guys.. But I spent 1600 on the fly more package and basically tossed my money in the garbage. I see a lot of you tube videos saying the same thing.. My mistake thats for sure.. Anyone want this Mavic 2 Pro with the Fly More package send me a PM..

View attachment 52829View attachment 52830
I am sorry to be blunt - but did you actually focus before taking these pictures?

Reactions: mibora
Have you messed with the sharpness setting? It's in the camera settings under "Style".
Attaching a screen pic. The triangle is sharpness, the half moon is contrast, and the gradient is saturation. the are only 3 plus and 3 minus but they effect change quickly.
IMG_0591.PNG

Reactions: KiterTodd
So when are you going to post the unsharp images? :D To my (admittedly old) eyes they look as though they are RAW files that still need sharpening.

I'm sure you're aware that out of camera JPEG's will have sharpening set to your setting whilst RAW files will need sharpening in post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta4

I hope you don't mind me doing this but i imported your 'Jeep' image into LR and took it to 100%. It looks as sharp as a tack.

if u look at the boat on the trailer and my blue jeep in the second pic u will see what I'm talking about ..
I wish I could work out how to display them here at 100% but they blow up when I add them here.
Boat on the trailer = 2.9% of the whole image
i-btkFCV5.jpg

This is 2.9% of the total image, looks a little fuzzy here because it's blown up about 200%
Boat roof and deck are a little overexposed so detail there is washed out.
Nice clear detail showing in water ripples, wheel slots, boardwalk planks, outboard prop etc.
Not bad with a wideangle lens from how far away?

Jeep = 0.2% of the image (shown at 200%)
i-DCHGHsw.jpg

That's 2/1000ths of the full image.
Or this is 1/1000th of the image
i-Gn9jZjt.jpg

It's looking soft and fuzzy at 200% but look at the text on that sign and the detail in the bin.
That sign is only 0.007% of the whole image.

Now tell me how crappy the images are again.

Reactions: noosaguy

I wish I could work out how to display them here at 100% but they blow up when I add them here.
Boat on the trailer = 2.9% of the whole image
i-btkFCV5.jpg

This is 2.9% of the total image, looks a little fuzzy here because it's blown up about 200%
Boat roof and deck are a little overexposed so detail there is washed out.
Nice clear detail showing in water ripples, wheel slots, boardwalk planks, outboard prop etc.
Not bad with a wideangle lens from how far away?

Jeep = 0.2% of the image (shown at 200%)
i-DCHGHsw.jpg

That's 2/1000ths of the full image.
Or this is 1/1000th of the image
i-Gn9jZjt.jpg

It's looking soft and fuzzy at 200% but look at the text on that sign and the detail in the bin.
That sign is only 0.007% of the whole image.

Now tell me how crappy the images are again.

That's what I thought when I opened it up in LR and viewed it at 100%. I only looked at the jeep image because on screen it looked (perhaps) the softer of the 2 he posted. The fact is though, as you have ably shown, the images are very good.
I think the OP is suffering from the same problem I had many years ago when i was deeply into Hi-Fi. I had fabulous equipment but was so focused on listening for problems, I didn't even hear the music any more.

6 second shutter church in the middle of the country on a dark night iso 100

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake