DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Plummeted into the Ocean

GhostRyderAviation

Reactions
Hey Mavic Pilots,

I was flying at St. Simon's Pier in Brunswick, GA when I witnessed my drone commit suicide right in front of me (and about 200 other people). Was pretty embarrassing. I am unable to even attempt to get it back because I don't know any divers there or have any diving gear myself so I don't have the physical drone at all. It's in the Atlantic Ocean somewhere now with a ND 16 PolarPro filter & carbon fiber wings attached. If anyone here can be of any help with trying to diagnose what happened to my drone, the appropriate flight log is attached.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-08-15_[18-55-10].txt
    1.5 MB · Views: 123
If anyone here can be of any help with trying to diagnose what happened to my drone, the appropriate flight log is attached.
Your flight data looks like this:DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

At the end of the flight you were doing some full stick Sport Mode flying at low level, just above the water.
It looks like the altitude might have been about 9-10 ft above the surface (+/- some drift in the barometric sensor?)

At 10:26.4 I see the drone start rotating clockwise without any rudder input.
At 10:26.7 there are changes in the pitch and roll data indicating the drone suddenly pitched back (despite the right stick still being full forward) and roll hard right going upside down.
The remaining data indicates spinning, tumbling and rapid loss of height, suggesting loss of the front left motor or prop.

Your flight data looks like this:DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

At the end of the flight you were doing some full stick Sport Mode flying at low level, just above the water.
It looks like the altitude might have been about 9-10 ft above the surface (+/- some drift in the barometric sensor?)

At 10:26.4 I see the drone start rotating clockwise without any rudder input.
At 10:26.7 there are changes in the pitch and roll data indicating the drone suddenly pitched back (despite the right stick still being full forward) and roll hard right going upside down.
The remaining data indicates spinning, tumbling and rapid loss of height, suggesting loss of the front left motor or prop.

Being new to Drones, your ability to read to file and knowledge of the subject, amazes me.

Being new to Drones, your ability to read to file and knowledge of the subject, amazes me.

There's some software to read the file; @Meta4 is one of the known experts in interpreting it. I'm a beginner
But this is the early part of your flight
1597572828159.png

The red line - pitch is how fast you trying to fly forwards or backwards, Negative numbers are nose-down / fly=forwards, the little positive peaks are nose-up / stop (longer positives mean flying backwards). The green line shows a little bit of roll. Time in seconds is along the bottom.
Now here is the last few seconds of your flight
1597573159976.png

It's pitching and rolling to huge numbers, this tells us something pretty dramatic happened. Then it's a question of visualizing what those spikes mean.
Current from the battery increases by 50% during this time, which suggests the flight controller was trying recover. But that motion says it lost thrust at one corner, one can't be certain if it was a prop or a motor problem.
Such extreme roll may have triggered a shutdown before hitting the water.

Reactions: drrags
Very interesting. So much to learn.

Hey Mavic Pilots,

I was flying at St. Simon's Pier in Brunswick, GA when I witnessed my drone commit suicide right in front of me (and about 200 other people). Was pretty embarrassing. I am unable to even attempt to get it back because I don't know any divers there or have any diving gear myself so I don't have the physical drone at all. It's in the Atlantic Ocean somewhere now with a ND 16 PolarPro filter & carbon fiber wings attached. If anyone here can be of any help with trying to diagnose what happened to my drone, the appropriate flight log is attached.

What exactly is a carbon fiber wing? Is it a modification? Are you saying after market carbon fiber props? A bit of a gray area that may be your issue, hard to say. Did you have the proper sensors turned off while skimming water? Bug Strike? Too much left out of the story to be sure beyond what has already been determined. Sad to say, it appears as though you were pushing limits at this point without info contrary.

Last edited:
Reactions: SXViper03
What exactly is a carbon fiber wing? Is it a modification? Are you saying after market carbon fiber props? A bit of a gray area that may be your issue, hard to say. Did you have the proper sensors turned off while skimming water? Bug Strike? Too much left out of the story to be sure beyond what has already been determined. Sad to say, it appears as though you were pushing limits at this point without info contrary.
The root cause may be after-market props. One may have failed, the user may not have attached them properly or some motor issue may have occurred because of those props. Without the wreckage that's impossible to say. Of course if it is motor failure or attachment error the choice of props may have nothing to do with the selection of props. .

It didn't fly calmly into the water from a sensor error, and there doesn't appear to be anything which suggests an impact. Some might think after-market props are pushing limits, others might consider it quite normal.

Up near max stress/performance levels, poorly made carbon fiber props have been known to snap off at the root. My guess Is that could have happened here.

Reactions: SXViper03
Sorry to hear about your loss. For your next drone check out drone-retriever. com.
I use their product whenever flying over water. Great stress reliever.

Well I'll be darned! I have never seen that system.. and I have seen alot...probably one of the best out there...would hate for it to have to deploy, but worth the $80 if one was a water flyer, their methanol wash is great advice too :) One would need a boat pretty much soon, but normally that isn't a issue. Would hate for it to get blown out to sea :p

I hate hearing about a fly away or a lost makes me nervous whenever I fly especially living on the island of Montreal where most of my flights are over water. I should maybe consider some kind of floats on my MM.

I hate hearing about a fly away or a lost makes me nervous whenever I fly especially living on the island of Montreal where most of my flights are over water. I should maybe consider some kind of floats on my MM.

DJI has pretty much discouraged flying over water for years (Thus my comment on pushing limits).
They have however published this for those who accept the risk: How to Fly Safely Over Water - DJI Guides
Just remember, when flying R/C it is not IF you crash, just a matter of WHEN....and in this instance where ;)

I have been teaching flight instruction for many a moon, I always inform my students with this note: If you don't know or trust your aircraft enough to feel safe flying in it, don't fly it period. And that works for R/C as well keeping that mindset (Even though you can't fly in it, you should think the same). You should always have that bit of anxiety in the back of your head, it is what will keep you sharp and prepared for any event...it is only when you lose that fear, that bad things will happen more often than not.;)

The prospect of flying over water can be a scary one for most drone pilots. Water environments are often filled with potential hazards such as boats, waves, high winds, and even birds. Although DJI does not encourage flying over water, professional aerial photographers and videographers will sometimes have to do precisely that. Therefore, this article offers constructive advice on what you can do before and during your over-water flight to ensure safety.

*Beginner pilots should refrain from flying over water at any time.

Last edited:
DJI has pretty much discouraged flying over water for years (Thus my comment on pushing limits).
They have however published this for those who accept the risk: How to Fly Safely Over Water - DJI Guides
Just remember, when flying R/C it is not IF you crash, just a matter of WHEN....and in this instance where ;)

Thanks for that ,very interesting and always lots to learn?

The prospect of flying over water can be a scary one for most drone pilots.
It's definitely a psychological factor that makes many flyers feel nervous.
But if you think about it, how often does your drone just fall to the ground when flying over land?
It's just as likely to fall if flying over water.
Water environments are often filled with potential hazards such as boats, waves ..
Those are all down low.
The water surface is a big obstacle and flying close to any obstacle is risky.
But you don't have to fly close to the water and above it, there are no trees, no towers, no buildings.
There are no obstacles and usually no interference.
... high winds, and even birds.
Probably no more than flying over land.

I've logged over 4000 miles of flying over the sea and believe it's actually a safer place to fly than over land.

So so sorry for your loss :( So did you have carbon fibre after market props and if so which ones do you have the link so others don’t fall into the same trap

It's definitely a psychological factor that makes many flyers feel nervous.
But if you think about it, how often does your drone just fall to the ground when flying over land?
It's just as likely to fall if flying over water.

Those are all down low.
The water surface is a big obstacle and flying close to any obstacle is risky.
But you don't have to fly close to the water and above it, there are no trees, no towers, no buildings.
There are no obstacles and usually no interference.

Probably no more than flying over land.

I've logged over 4000 miles of flying over the sea and believe it's actually a safer place to fly than over land.

Just noting that the listed in blue and red were exact quotes from DJI and the link I provided...that wasn't me commenting. :p But I have noted in several videos that waves take out a fair number of drones for those who like to skim low, the winds are changing a bit more on seas, but mostly those who like to do "range" tests and not note they are flying out with a tail wind, and sea birds...ehhh about the same as land...except nesting on shore line, that they seem to be a bit more aggresive than there land counterparts,...and as far as boats...well we have seen enough fools try to land on those whose skills shall we say are somewhat lacking ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: kidroc
You are not likely to be putting anyone else at risk flying over open water so that becomes a big plus. I guess it comes down to is the reason worth the risk.
It would be nice if DJI would change their policy in a case like this. I would think that they could determine the whether the drone operator was flying an airworthy drone from it's recent data.

Well I'll be darned! I have never seen that system.. and I have seen alot...probably one of the best out there...would hate for it to have to deploy, but worth the $80 if one was a water flyer, their methanol wash is great advice too :) One would need a boat pretty much soon, but normally that isn't a issue. Would hate for it to get blown out to sea :p
I use the drone retriever on my M2P. The only place I am comfortable attaching it is on the bottom, but It blocks the bottom sensors,. A few times, the drone does not want to descend, thinking that the device is an obstacle. Continued down throttle, or switching to sport mode will over ride that if it happens. On the other hand, it makes hand catching extremely easy.
Happily, No baths for the drone yet. But the peace of mind is worth the price of admission. Also, I have the state farm insurance. $60 a year No deductible Again, well worth the price of admission.,

I use the drone retriever on my M2P. The only place I am comfortable attaching it is on the bottom, but It blocks the bottom sensors,. A few times, the drone does not want to descend, thinking that the device is an obstacle. Continued down throttle, or switching to sport mode will over ride that if it happens. On the other hand, it makes hand catching extremely easy.
Happily, No baths for the drone yet. But the peace of mind is worth the price of admission. Also, I have the state farm insurance. $60 a year No deductible Again, well worth the price of admission.,

I didn't see the actual trigger for deployment, would a well placed rain drop or two trigger it? That would suck :p

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SFC