DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro randomly produces 8000 x 6000 jpg images

CJG

Reactions
A strange thing happened at dawn this morning....

...a beautiful clear day here in Hampshire UK, so I was up with the drone!

I shoot in RAW (dng) only.

I'm processing my images in Lightroom Classic: and I keep coming across random 8000 x 6000 jpg images!!!

From research, these seem something like Super Resolution images: but I have M2P not an M2Z, and (so far as I can recall) I didn't touch anything to activate this mode.....

Am I going Mad??

Only the Air 2 can produce 8000 x 6000 jpg image. Can you share some of those DNG files having such resolution ?

Check your Camera settings. It sounds like you are saving jpeg + RAW images.
Hi Marty,

Nope: all the settings are for RAW. Not both. I do wonder if the M2P is somehow auto-stitching one of the panoramas I have taken (without being requested to by me). Maybe I have missed the lowdown on recent firmware updates?

Only the Air 2 can produce 8000 x 6000 jpg image. Can you share some of those DNG files having such resolution ?
Hi boblui,

Thats what I thought! I have attached a screen shot of the info of a file (the actual is too big to be uploaded), although it is a jpg not a DNG which is weird as I only shoot RAW/dng. From memory doesn’t the M2P also automatically also take jpg shots for panoramas, in case you want to use the GO 4 app to auto-stitch an panorama image?

I do wonder if the M2P is somehow auto-stitching some of the panoramas I have taken (without being requested to by me). Maybe I have missed the lowdown on recent firmware updates?

Attachments

• Open folder Desktop.png
    Open folder Desktop.png
    830.5 KB · Views: 25
Jpg or dng makes no difference.
The resolution is still 5472×3648
Meta 4: see the attached for 8000 x 6000!!!

And I didn’t request any stitching: it just appeared, ?!!

Attachments

• Open folder Desktop.png
    Open folder Desktop.png
    830.5 KB · Views: 15
Meta 4: see the attached for 8000 x 6000!!!

And I didn’t request any stitching: it just appeared, ?!!
Could you upload that image to dropbox or similar and post a link to it?
I'd like to dig deeper into the metadata to see if there might be a clue buried in there.

And did you happen to have shot single shots that might make a 2x2 panorama that looks like that?

Reactions: CJG
Could you upload that image to dropbox or similar and post a link to it?
I'd like to dig deeper into the metadata to see if there might be a clue buried in there.

And did you happen to have shot single shots that might make a 2x2 panorama that looks like that?

2x2 panorama? I might have done. But not consciously; and .dngs would have been involved!

It always stitches panos, there's nothing to "request".
That’s news to me Kilrah! In my MP and MM2, you have to go into the images in the app, select the panorama and it stitches them then. There was nothing automatic and I normally get my images off the memory card and stitch in Lightroom.

In my MP and MM2, you have to go into the images in the app, select the panorama and it stitches them then.
For Mavic 2, you need to set the photo mode to pano first. After the shutter is pressed, the drone will take multiple photos at different tilt/pan angle combinations before stitching them together into a single jpeg automatically. You could not have done it accidentally and if you did, you would have noticed it immediately as the drone would take multiple shots instead of one and there would be a message asking you not to move the drone in the process.

Two clear and equally-spaced vertical stitching lines show up in the sky part after some heavy level and clarity adjustment in photoshop. It looks like a 3 x 3 pano.

DJI_0078y.jpg

BTW the photo is a good subject for practicing color tuning in photoshop :

DJI_0078x.jpg

Last edited:
Even if you select "Save RAW for Panorama" (camera settings, gear icon), you will still get a stitched JPG pano. That setting just means "But also save the RAW so I can stitch them myself in post".

But I've never seen a 2-image auto pano choice.

Chris

2x2 panorama? I might have done. But not consciously; and .dngs would have been involved!
There is a lot more information buried in the metadata than most people ever see.
Yours has one interesting line, highlighted here:
i-kVp55rg.jpg

I'd suggest intentionally shooting a 2x2 panorama and seeing if that gives you a 8000 x 6000 jpg.

Mavic 2 does not have any 2x2 pano mode unless it's done manually. 8000 x 6000 or 48 MP is the resolution of the "super resolution" pano mode of Mavic 2. A total of 9 or 3 x 3 pictures are taken :

".....Super Resolution is a photo mode which uses the optical zoom to shoot 9 overlapping images of a scene and then automatically stitches them together to create a 48MP image...."

From : First impressions: DJI Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom

Last edited:
Mavic 2 does not have any 2x2 pano mode unless it's done manually. 8000 x 6000 or 48 MP is the resolution of the "super resolution" pano mode of Mavic 2. A total of 9 or 3 x 3 pictures are taken :

".....Super Resolution is a photo mode which uses the optical zoom to shoot 9 overlapping images of a scene and then automatically stitches them together to create a 48MP image...."

From : First impressions: DJI Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom

The OP was using a Mavic 2 Pro, not a Mavic 2 Zoom.

The OP was using a Mavic 2 Pro, not a Mavic 2 Zoom.
Yes ... missed that. My M2P can do a "horiz pano" taking 9 ( 3x3 ) overlapping pictures and automatically stitching them into a 8000 x 5394 jpg photo. It is kind of hard to imagine what has triggered the OP's M2P to take a super-resolution pano that is supposed to be available for the M2Z only.

For Mavic 2, you need to set the photo mode to pano first. After the shutter is pressed, the drone will take multiple photos at different tilt/pan angle combinations before stitching them together into a single jpeg automatically. You could not have done it accidentally and if you did, you would have noticed it immediately as the drone would take multiple shots instead of one and there would be a message asking you not to move the drone in the process.
I think what I have missed is that the M2P auto-stitches the jpgs (taken along side the .dngs) and puts them into the “100 media” folder without being asked. With my MP and MM2, stitching was by request, within the app, rather then automatic.

This is what has fooled me, I think ?. Doh ?!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27