DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro, saying compass error every single flight

shutterup

Reactions
Hey all.

I've been flying more regularly recently and I also have a new mavic 2 air and Mavic mini, these factors have highlighted more sonthe error with my M2P.

Let me explane, I got my M2P last Oct and didn't fly again until March, then may, June and July, each time it says "compass error please re calibrate" and I always assumed that it was because of the long delays between flights.

However, since July and August I've been flying almost bi weekly with both my M2P and M2A, my M2A has NEVER thrown up the compass error yet the M2P ALWAYS throws it up.

So... Is my M2P faulty? Or is the compass just more sensitive? I have care refresh and am happy to air onnthe side of caution and send it in, the biggest issue is flying from the SAME sites as the M2A and sometimes the MM the M2P will throw the error while the other 2 don't.

Thanks All

I encounter "compass error" on my MA1 between two flights with a longer distance between the two take-off points. Regardless of the time between he two flights.

Reactions: shutterup
What's weird is I've owed a

MP1
PH4
PH3

and never had this before, if it's not an issue then I'll happily not worry, just trying to get an understanding on it as none of my crafts do it when flying side by side and at the same time etc other than the m2p

Cheers
I encounter "compass error" on my MA1 between two flights with a longer distance between the two take-off points. Regardless of the time between he two flights.

Possibly some info here?

I had a similar issue w/my M2Z. Although the IMU Calibration showed "Normal", I completed a IMU Calibration, and the problem went away.
FWIW

Happens to me a lot when taking off from a certain concrete location. I can almost count on it occurring. There is no metal near this ~ 10x10 square pad and I'm beginning to suspect rebar as the culprit. I can calibrate it with no problem - and will be fine for the day.

Happens to me a lot when taking off from a certain concrete location.
I can almost count on it occurring. There is no metal near this
Your compass is fine and does not need calibrating.
It's warning you of a potentially serious problem with your choice of launch spot.
There is steel within an inch or two of tour compass and that's what it's warning you about.
Recalibrating a perfectly working compass cannot do anything to solve the problem.
Moving away from the problem will.
I'm beginning to suspect rebar as the culprit. I can calibrate it with no problem - and will be fine for the day.
Here's an X-ray photo of your concrete launch spot:
i-pTxMjZq-L.jpg

Launching from a reinforced concrete surface is asking for trouble.
You've been lucky so far, but many drones have been lost as a result of concrete launching.
Just search for yaw error" to see a few cases.

Your compass is fine and does not need calibrating.
It's warning you of a potentially serious problem with your choice of launch spot.
There is steel within an inch or two of tour compass and that's what it's warning you about.
Recalibrating a perfectly working compass cannot do anything to solve the problem.
Moving away from the problem will.

Here's an X-ray photo of your concrete launch spot:
i-pTxMjZq-L.jpg

Launching from a reinforced concrete surface is asking for trouble.
You've been lucky so far, but many drones have been lost as a result of concrete launching.
Just search for yaw error" to see a few cases.
Sorry but I have to disagree with that assessment. It could be true sometimes but it is certainly not true always true.
Moving away from anything will not make it go away.
M2 has some issue with this. After calibrating both compass and IMU many times I just ignore it.
Not good because it could be correct some times.
I get that error constantly, and if I go look at the magnetic interference bar chart there is none.

If my compass is fine, how come literally every single flight needs a re calibration, even when my MA2 or MM flying next to it, doesn't need the same?

Cheers

If my compass is fine, how come literally every single flight needs a re calibration, even when my MA2 or MM flying next to it, doesn't need the same?

Cheers
I say there is a bug in the firmware that calls out interference.
Note that the message says "Move aircraft or calibrate compass"
Even when the sensor state says "Excellent" for interference.

Agreed
I say there is a bug in the firmware that calls out interference.
Note that the message says "Move aircraft or calibrate compass"
Even when the sensor state says "Excellent" for interference.

Cheers
I’ve been flying Mavic Pro, Phantom 4 pro’s, and Mavic 2 Pro for 4 years now. The Mavic’s always say to calibrate. I do it out of habit. The Phantoms don’t “Suggest” you calibrate each time. I’m not sure why the Mavic’s are so fickle with this issue.

But my Mavic air 2, when flying next to and at the same intervals as my 2 Pro doesn't, neither did my Mavic pro OG
I’ve been flying Mavic Pro, Phantom 4 pro’s, and Mavic 2 Pro for 4 years now. The Mavic’s always say to calibrate. I do it out of habit. The Phantoms don’t “Suggest” you calibrate each time. I’m not sure why the Mavic’s are so fickle with this issue.

Hey all.

I've been flying more regularly recently and I also have a new mavic 2 air and Mavic mini, these factors have highlighted more sonthe error with my M2P.

Let me explane, I got my M2P last Oct and didn't fly again until March, then may, June and July, each time it says "compass error please re calibrate" and I always assumed that it was because of the long delays between flights.

However, since July and August I've been flying almost bi weekly with both my M2P and M2A, my M2A has NEVER thrown up the compass error yet the M2P ALWAYS throws it up.

So... Is my M2P faulty? Or is the compass just more sensitive? I have care refresh and am happy to air onnthe side of caution and send it in, the biggest issue is flying from the SAME sites as the M2A and sometimes the MM the M2P will throw the error while the other 2 don't.

Thanks All
I set compass each time before a flying session, not every flight but at the start of. I might turn the drone sideways or bump it around fumbling a lot of things in my hands when taking it in and out of bags. Some people don't bother with it. That's just me. Try setting the compass. If you hear the little clunk noise, it shouldn't give an error.

That's like ignoring a CEL (check engine light) on a vehicle. It might work for a while.
Except in this case there’s not actually anything wrong. You can double check it with the interference meter.

Many also forget the M2 Pro and zoom will ask for a compass calibration if it’s been 30 days from last flight even if you are always launching from same location. If you travel more than 30 miles from last launch point you will get the same message.

Both of my M2 Pros do this. Both are current on firmware. One uses SC other stock controller with iPad.

Paul C

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405