DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro small crash, leg casing broken. DJI Care Refresh worth it?

RioMangini

Reactions
Hello, I'm completely new to this forum, and I just need some advice on what to do here.
I just powered up my brand new Mavic 2 Pro and took it for a few Beginner Mode test flights, where I'd just let it hover to about 4 feet and move it around slowly and slightly, testing out the controls. On my fourth test flight, it started to back up into a tree and lower above a pond, unaware of the controls I was inputting. It eventually started shredding some small branches and fell. I went down there to check, and thankfully it only fell onto the ground on some dry dirt. Thankfully, nothing was broken, it was just a little dirty. I tried doing one more extremely careful test flight, but this time, it slowly backed into a wooden fence, and that is when what you saw in the pictures happened. It seems the casing (or something) snapped on the front left leg above the LED. The leg is a little slanted, but it stands up like new. The light works fine.
This was completely due to user error, as I believe I forgot to calibrate the GPS before flight.
I also noticed that two propellers were cracked. One had a pretty big crack, so I had to retire that one. The other one in the picture below has a smaller crack, though I haven't seen it affect performance at all.
Now, I'm aware there is a program offered by DJI called Care Refresh, which is able to supply two new (or close to new) units after damages within a year. I'm sure the propellers are easily replaceable (I'm sure I can get a new set online, though I'm not sure), though what should I do about that front LED leg? Is DJI Care Refresh worth it for this type of damage even though it's not super severe? Will it fix something like this guaranteed? Should I just get it anyway to cover this and in case of an even bigger emergency? Should I just leave it because it's not a detrimental injury? I would love to hear any advice on this. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_2374.JPGIMG_2375.JPG

It is not available to repair a unit that is already crashed.
I have it on my drones and it has paid for itself.

Whatever caused the flight issues, I can assure you that it was nothing to do with calibrating the GPS. You should probably pull the flight logs to figure out what went wrong.
Good to know. I'll check that out. Now is DJI Care Refresh worth it in this situation? Will they even fix something like this? Is this too small of an injury for it?

DJI Care Refresh can be bound to your DJI product when it meets one of the following criteria:
· Brand new and un-activated product;

· Aircraft or gimbal activated within the last 48 hours;
· Handheld device activated within the last 30 days;
· Repaired in an official DJI Service Center (within 72 hours of receiving email invitation);
· Aircraft approved via video verification.

If its crashed its too late, you have 48hrs basically to register. Outside the 48hrs, you can still get refresh, but you need to do a 5 or 6 min video to show everything working.

Unfortunately you will need to send DJI and get repaired, however once done you can then take refresh out .

Hi and welcome Thumbswayup

DJI Care Refresh can be bound to your DJI product when it meets one of the following criteria:
· Brand new and un-activated product;

· Aircraft or gimbal activated within the last 48 hours;
· Handheld device activated within the last 30 days;
· Repaired in an official DJI Service Center (within 72 hours of receiving email invitation);
· Aircraft approved via video verification.

If its crashed its too late, you have 48hrs basically to register. Outside the 48hrs, you can still get refresh, but you need to do a 5 or 6 min video to show everything working.

Unfortunately you will need to send DJI and get repaired, however once done you can then take refresh out .

Hi and welcome Thumbswayup
Thanks for the reply. How long will it take to get repaired generally?

Thanks for the reply. How long will it take to get repaired generally?
It will be weeks not days unfortunately, they are pretty slow at times. Best thing to do is contact, if possible by phone or you could be waiting for ages for a reply.

When you do get back, practice in an open area away from tree's,, lines, fences etc. Also get a little height up, so if you make a wrong move, it does not matter. Practice as much as possible, if you release the sticks it should hover there, unlike helicopters! . Hopefully you will get sorted soon, then can start over and enjoy.

It will be weeks not days unfortunately, they are pretty slow at times. Best thing to do is contact, if possible by phone or you could be waiting for ages for a reply.
I had a recent repair on a Phantom 3 by DJI. Here is the short version. First of all, theService Center is in Cerritos as in SoCal.They turned mine around in just a few days. The hole experience was a week and a half including shipping. I'm in NorCal. Pri8ce was reasonable for the job done and I did not get my original Drone back but a freshly refurbished one that looks brand new. Call them, they will call you back, and get it to them and they will give you an estimate.

Reactions: ven
It sounds like you should practice some more with it, since it still works fine and the damage is minor. Better to crash again with this than a new or repaired one!

I one had a bad crash in a tree and fall to the ground doing 70km in sports mode. The drone worked fine after other than a slight bulge to the body casing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54