DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Mavic 2 Pro video at Tehachapi Railroad Loop AGAIN!

fantastic video of the amazing Tehachapi Railroad Loop. 👍👍 How did you record the sound?
cheers Paul
Hi Paul, I keep a small digital audio recorder in my drone bag just in case I may need some great recordings when I edit the footage. Just like that...... Kent

Reactions: DougMcC
Hi Paul, I keep a small digital audio recorder in my drone bag just in case I may need some great recordings when I edit the footage. Just like that...... Kent
Hi Kent,
that´s what I thought! I think that's great, because one often can see drone videos of, for example, a waterfall...And you don't hear the falling water!😰 What you do with the little audio recorder is perfect! 👍
cheers and have a nice Sunday!
Paul

Now that is one heck of a video and I watched the whole 9 m+. Presume that's your red car on top of the hill?

Great video.... you really got some range from your drone there. I would suspect you were seeing some screen dropouts from losing radio contact?

I watched that a few times. The best I can tell that is all the same train looping around to gain the elevation. Full throttle all the way and a long climb. Well done.

Now that is one heck of a video and I watched the whole 9 m+. Presume that's your red car on top of the hill?
Hi Sky Wombat, thanks for the compliment on the video for sure. Yes, that's my Ford Explorer out there. From that high elevated location, I can see the trains coming from both directions for a long way and no loss of transmission with the drone. Thanks again, Kent

Great video.... you really got some range from your drone there. I would suspect you were seeing some screen dropouts from losing radio contact?
Hi bdouglasj, watching the video you can see my red Ford Explorer out on the highly elevated ridge. You can see the trains going both ways for quite a long distance with excellent video transmission. Thanks for the compliment on the video too. Kent

I watched that a few times. The best I can tell that is all the same train looping around to gain the elevation. Full throttle all the way and a long climb. Well done.
Hi Crash Gibby, you are exactly correct. This railroad loop was actually built in the late 1800's using 3000 Chinese laborer with picks and shovels, horse drawn carts to move the dirt and rock. They of course drilled into the ground and then used explosives to make the ground and rock easier to load on carts. The railroad right-of-way going both ways toward the Tehachapi Summit was able to make the two percent grade until it came to a very low elevated area where the loop is located. Then they came up with the loop in order to maintain the two percent grade complete. I'm glad that you liked the video too. Thanks, Kent

Great video! My curiosity got the best of me so I checked out the location in Google Earth and lo and behold, the April 29, 2017 GE satellite image captured a 100 car freight train in the loop! Your video and Google Earth really put things into perspective for me! You've got a cool steady hand, I'd been freaking out with the the wires and trees! Thanks for a great vid and the audio was really a great addition!

Reactions: CanyonRunVideos
Great video! My curiosity got the best of me so I checked out the location in Google Earth and lo and behold, the April 29, 2017 GE satellite image captured a 100 car freight train in the loop! Your video and Google Earth really put things into perspective for me! You've got a cool steady hand, I'd been freaking out with the the wires and trees! Thanks for a great vid and the audio was really a great addition!
Hi Twocalf, I bet the GE looks very nice, I'll have to check that out sometime. I read quite a bit of information about the loop. I read that when the Locomotive goes around the loop and then crosses over the train cars going into the lower tunnel, the length of the train at that point is 4000 feet long. Thank you for the great compliment on the video and have fun flying your drone. I'm going out this evening to do a commercial shoot for a LED street lighting company that will keep me well into the darkness tonight. I'm an FAA Part 107 commercial drone pilot and I really enjoy my retirement and make good money so it's a win-win for me. Kent

The train in the GE image shows 100 freight cars plus 8 engines (3 on one end, 3 in the middle, and 2 on the other end). My quick measurement shows the train to be about 1.4 miles long. The tightest part of the loop has a radius of about 500 feet. So did you fly the entire mission by "hand" or did you do any POI tracking or other more "automated" flight modes? What about exposure....auto or manual settings? and ND filter? Thanks!

Attachments

• Tehachapi Loop_2.JPG
    Tehachapi Loop_2.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Tehachapi Loop_1.JPG
    Tehachapi Loop_1.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: CanyonRunVideos
The train in the GE image shows 100 freight cars plus 8 engines (3 on one end, 3 in the middle, and 2 on the other end). My quick measurement shows the train to be about 1.4 miles long. The tightest part of the loop has a radius of about 500 feet. So did you fly the entire mission by "hand" or did you do any POI tracking or other more "automated" flight modes? What about exposure....auto or manual settings? and ND filter? Thanks!
Hello again Twocalf, this video mission was taken with the same train using five different clips and all by hand controls. I always shoot in H.265, D-Log, 100 ISO 30fps f/4.0 with a sutter speed of about 160s with a PolarPro ND16 that day.

Kent,
Thanks for discussing the camera settings that you used! I've had mixed results with my MP2 when I shoot in H.265 D-Log. I use Adobe Premiere and have used a LUT (DLog-M+to+Rec709.cube) with the H.265 D-Log clips. Do you use a LUT and if so which one? Again, great video!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka