DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro vs Air 2S? For photography. Price isn't relevant. Which to choose?

JLoxton

Reactions
I have Mavic 2 Pro with Polar Pro Cinema Series ND filters. I've bought it on a grant and never turned it on. I have the option to straight trade it for a new Air 2S. I will be using it for still photography 90% of the time (including some photogrammetry). Some hiking in (so < weight is good, but also sometimes windy conditions, so > weight is good! Ugh.)

I've watched every comparison video and read every article I can find, and I really can't make up my mind. Would photographers who have flown both mind chiming in? Is there any reason to prefer the Mavic 2 Pro now or think that one or the other will hold up better for next couple of years? (I don't really care about the denoising of raw files issue.)

Thanks!

At present the camera on the M2P with variable aperture will yield much better output. Coupled with feature set on a proven mature platform and ability to use 3rd party apps along with a great featured proven app (Go 4) I would stick with what you have IMHO. I am a bit biased flying the brother to it, but I didn't buy the MA2 for many reasons and opted for a M2Z The MA2s is a great machine, so depending on how far you are into photography the choice is yours but I wouldn't trade even up for a new MA2s for a "cheaper/less feature set" drone...even if you got the M2P with a grant. IMHO

MP2 for variable Aperture.
M2As has very slightly better low light capabilities, but it’s marginal, and you just increase your shutter speed to compensate on the M2P, so this doesn’t really count.

I’d take the Air2s any day. M2P is a three year old platform. Variable aperture on a small lens for landscape type photography is not the same advantage it is in a portrait scenario. Also the pro does not have an advantage in stills thanks to the much more advanced processing on the 2s. They both handle the same wind and have similar speed. 2s has a slight battery flight time advantage. Also the 2 series batteries have not shown to be as susceptible to the swelling issue that the pro 2 platform has seen. Plus, 60fps 4K, 5k, and occusync 3. The only advantage the pro has is the aperture, and it’s not one that translates to a real advantage for drone photography.

I’d go with the S and/or keep an eye out for a 3

I’d take the Air2s any day. M2P is a three year old platform. Variable aperture on a small lens for landscape type photography is not the same advantage it is in a portrait scenario. Also the pro does not have an advantage in stills thanks to the much more advanced processing on the 2s. They both handle the same wind and have similar speed. 2s has a slight battery flight time advantage. Also the 2 series batteries have not shown to be as susceptible to the swelling issue that the pro 2 platform has seen. Plus, 60fps 4K, 5k, and occusync 3. The only advantage the pro has is the aperture, and it’s not one that translates to a real advantage for drone photography.

I’d go with the S and/or keep an eye out for a 3
You wouldn't use the Aperture for depth of field, but I’ve been in plenty of situations when shooting at midday, when the sun it too bright for fixed app.
Agree on battery life and swelling though.
OP states they are only using it for photography so 5.4K is irrelevant in this case

Reactions: Category 5
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3