DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro vs Mini 3 Pro

AroundTheWorld

Reactions
Hello,

I'm the owner of a Mavic 2 Pro that I would like to replace and I'm wondering if I should sell it to buy the Mini 3 Pro. Once sold, I would have to add 100 euros to get the new drone and the RC with the screen. Do you think it worth it?

Thank you for your advices

Since you cite Euros I would certianly give it some thought.

Last edited:
They are not in the same category. For me still there is not drone that can completely substitute the Mavic 2 Pro.

@AroundTheWorld ,you would benefit from the under 250g rules on where you can fly, if you had the Mini 3

It does depend on what you want to get from your drone and where you want to use it. Are you looking for the same flight performance and camera performance as the Mavic2? The mini3 has a lower top speed, fixed aperture, smaller sensor, but more articulate gimbal. You say you want to replace the Mavic 2. Is there anything other than the mini3 that you've considered as a replacement?

They are not in the same category. For me still there is not drone that can completely substitute the Mavic 2 Pro.
Even the Mavic 3 ?
@AroundTheWorld ,you would benefit from the under 250g rules on where you can fly, if you had the Mini 3
I'm not restricted in my area yet but it's true that it could be useful if I travel in one of those countries where this law will apply. However I'm really concerned with the wind resistance.

I traveled in many places where I would have been hesitant to fly a DJI Mini while it wasn't a problem with the Mavic 2 Pro.

Last edited:
If you really need 4K60, never getting props in your shot, higher flight time, faster charging batteries. Sub 250 gram, the controller with the screen and some other stuff then paying 100 euro is a pretty old deal!

Reactions: AroundTheWorld
If you really need 4K60, never getting props in your shot, higher flight time, faster charging batteries. Sub 250 gram, the controller with the screen and some other stuff then paying 100 euro is a pretty old deal!
And if you don't need all that, but do need a better top speed then paying €100 to forfeit what you need to gain a load of what you dont need is a dud deal. All depends on what you want your drone to do.

It does depend on what you want to get from your drone and where you want to use it. Are you looking for the same flight performance and camera performance as the Mavic2? The mini3 has a lower top speed, fixed aperture, smaller sensor, but more articulate gimbal. You say you want to replace the Mavic 2. Is there anything other than the mini3 that you've considered as a replacement?

Playing devil's advocate... what makes you want to replace the mavic 2? It's still a very capable drone and the latest models aren't huge improvements on it.

I want to get the highest image quality as possible without breaking the bank and I'm also concerned with the flight time and sensors. I will mostly use the drone during my travels.

To be honest, I'm still satisfied with the Mavic 2 Pro if I put the soft image aside and the form factor and weight have never been a problem for me even when I was backpacking and tried to travel light. I could clearly keep that drone but knowing that selling it would allow me to get a new Mini 3 Pro or even Air2S for nothing or less than 100 euros is tempting especially considering that some of the specs have been improved and that the drone would have a new warranty and DJI Care.

However both the Mini 3 Pro and Air2S are a downgrade from the Mavic 2 Pro at some point and it bother me a little since I would like to lose as less features as possible.

- I like the size and weight of the Mini 3 Pro and Air2S but I'm afraid that it could be an issue in windy areas.

- I like to see that it will be possible to increase the flight time to 47 minutes with the bigger battery on the Mini 3 Pro

- I like the extended range with the Occusync 3.0, the APAS system and the new flights modes.

- I like the ability to shoot in 4K60

- I like the possibility to charge the batteries in USB

- I really like the new RC

- However, I don't really see myself using ND filters and I really liked the possibility to change the aperture on the Mavic 2 Pro. I rarely used that feature but it's good to know that you can do it if needed.

- I like the side sensors and I would have crashed my drone a few times without them.

- I like the stability of the Mavic 2 Pro in windy situations.

The best replacement would obviously be the Mavic 3 but it's very expensive and adding the DJI Care would totally break the bank for me.

But I feel that the future Air 3 will be the perfect drone since I guess that it will keep the form factor of the Air2S which is the best of both worlds. I assume that it will also get some of the features of the Mavic 3 and that the RC of the Mini 3 Pro will be compatible.

Last edited:
If you want more image quality and just get the Air 2S. Is the drone I recommend hands down. Super capable and has a very good price. The Mavic 3 does not do waypoints, Full Autonomous flight (onboard missions). Also the Mavic 2 pro software is superior. I really like my Mavic 2 Pro over the Mavic 3 in many things.

Is just a tank.

I only do photographs with my trusty M2P, so a fraction of your requirements.
But I will progress to the Mini 3 Pro soon and may also sell the M2P to a friend.

The strongest reason is that soon (ok with the prolongation in 1,5 years) the M2P will in EASA countries classified as legacy without C label and a MTOM above 900 g, pushing it into open category A3, that means 150 m away from people and all builtup.

That reduces my scope, together with other restrictions and people's worries, to an indefinite small number locally. Considering the quality and the years that have passed since the development and introduction of the Mavic 2 Pro, it will be in some regards a benefit and in some only a minor change. But as said, the most obvious is the legal requirement.

It is essential for me to enjoy flying and not get lost into red tape, drive long hours for legally appropriate places or worry about complaints of ignorant people (too much).

If this applies to you too, you might consider the Mini 3 Pro to be superior and safer than our old and dear friend. ;)
If you can afford, you can keep your old bird too and share best of both worlds.

Reactions: mereflyer
I own the Mavic 2 Pro and I also considering the change to Mini 3. Below is a comparison of the two drones, as per my view:

Pros of Mavic 2:
+Mavic 2 definitely provides more confidence when flying in windy areas.
+Higher max speeds
+The camera system with the variable aperture makes it easy to properly expose shots especially when recording. Variable aperture is only provided to Mavic 3 series.
+More video/photo modes (i.e. 10bit video, HDR photos)
+The GO4 app and the remote seems to provide more manual controls for those interested
+More sensors but these do not work in all modes (for example lateral sensors only work with POI and Active Track)

Pros of Mini 3:
+The size/weight is unbeatable making it a great advantage for those who want to travel light
+4K60 video mode and higher bitrate (150Mbps in specs)
+The image/video quality seems to hold pretty well compared to more expensive DJI siblings.
+Newer Activetrack and Smart modes (i.e. Mastershots, APAS 4.0) (only valid for those who will use them)
+Price of the drone makes it a good value for money option
+Accessories (i.e. batteries) are more affordable compared to Mavic 2
+Longer flight time

I hope I didn't miss anything.
I am personally waiting to see more reviews of Mini 3 from people who actually paid with their own money.

There is an overheating issue with Mini 3, which may be solved in firmware but may be not. We'll see.

As I said, I am considering to make the change, mostly because of the size of Mavic 2, but I do hope image/video quality won't be degraded too much.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Sounds like you have 3 options:
  • Stick with your Mavic 2 since it does most of the things you want and does them pretty well
  • Spend some cash and go for a mini3 (or air2s), and forfeit a few things you like, whilst gaining a few other new advantages. I think you've already got a fairly good idea of what is better and worse
  • Wait for another 6-8mths and see what newer, better, drone comes along next. Don't feel you have to up/downgrade to the latest drone every time a new one comes out.

Sounds like you have 3 options:
  • Stick with your Mavic 2 since it does most of the things you want and does them pretty well
  • Spend some cash and go for a mini3 (or air2s), and forfeit a few things you like, whilst gaining a few other new advantages. I think you've already got a fairly good idea of what is better and worse
  • Wait for another 6-8mths and see what newer, better, drone comes along next. Don't feel you have to up/downgrade to the latest drone every time a new one comes out.
I think you sum it up very well!

Even if the Air2S was 8K, for me it would be too limiting as I flew the Parrot Anafi for 3 years with hundreds of flights.
Once you have that gimbal flexibility you start to look at the sky differently. You appreciate clouds and composition

Reactions: Bussty
Even if the Air2S was 8K, for me it would be too limiting as I flew the Parrot Anafi for 3 years with hundreds of flights.
Once you have that gimbal flexibility you start to look at the sky differently. You appreciate clouds and composition
Go on, show us some examples :) . I'm genuinely interested to see what can be achieved with a drone and an upward-looking gimbal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada