DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro vs New Product ----WOW Is this the Future?

Skydiopilots.com is up and running. Don't think anyone has one yet. I check 2-3 days a week, looking for a few firsthand experiences and thoughts.

It’s painfully obvious that you composed this video in a way that try’s to make it appear that the Skydio is on this otherworldly level compared to the Mavic. I’ve personally watched videos on YouTube that have the Skydio attempting to follow a subject on a dirt bike through fairly dense forest and I stress the word attempt. When the Skydio becomes overwhelmed it just stops and hovers in place and it did this quite often. Also it seemed to struggle sometimes with rudimentary tasks such as keeping the subject centered in the shot. The Skydio may very well be a decent aircraft but it’s not the miracle machine some would say it is either.

although i live in the UK and as such would not at this time be able to purchase a skydio drone ,i wish the company every success for the future, there is room for many players in this new field of tech, and there are many different drones with different capabilities i have no problem with people doing videos on the specs of different drones, but i find the whole playground mentality of my drones better than yours a bit sad

The sound of the first model skydio was horrendous compared to a mavic. I see they claim 50% quieter. If that means 3dB quieter, then it's still going to be really loud. Sound perception is logarithmic, not linear. 3dB lower is truly 50% of the power, but would only be just perceptibly quieter to your ear.

This link is provided for anyone wanting to see the future of what drone flying is becoming.
Competition is great don' you think!

Great comparison! Yes, competition is great.

I predict that DJI will rush to include Skydio 2's sophisticated collision avoidance into the Mavic 3 Pro (or whatever DJI names it).

I also predict that DJI and other vendors will adopt the next generation of battery tech (faster-charging, non-burning, solid electrolyte batts) which could allow 45-60 min. flight time with the same size and weight of today's LiPo batts!

Last edited:
I think the Mavic Has it hands down, I’ve been watching others skydio videos and it’s not quite all it’s hyped up to be it cannot see small branches just like the Mavic two. During the waterfall video I frankly thought the Mavic two had a little bit better picture quality also. I think the Skydio two will have a younger generation following more than anything. Personally I get a little dizzy when I watch the skydio bounce around trying to follow somebody

Reactions: Jet skier
although i live in the UK and as such would not at this time be able to purchase a skydio drone ,i wish the company every success for the future, there is room for many players in this new field of tech, and there are many different drones with different capabilities i have no problem with people doing videos on the specs of different drones, but i find the whole playground mentality of my drones better than yours a bit sad
Well, if you decide you may want to purchase one, I can bring it to you when we pop home for a visit next year.

I've put my deposit it for the Skydio 2 but it won't ship until early summer - I sold my M2P in order to purchase the Skydio though if the Mavic 3 Pro (if and when) has the same tracking capabilities of the Skydio I will of course purchase the new Mavic.

This link is provided for anyone wanting to see the future of what drone flying is becoming.

Wow, that screen shot really shows the size difference too.
Although folded size of the M2 is a lot smaller package, the in the air size of the Skydio 2 is considerably less.

I think the M2 (P especially) is the drone for taking the cinematic vids.
Although I have seen some pretty darn good ones using Skydio 2 as well, just not many out there as yet, just reviewers videos, and they only had the thing for probably a couple of flights before doing their thing.

Skydio 2 is all over it for following action, it's obvious.
I'm comparing to the many tracking vids I've watched on the MPs 1 and 2, most are ok if you know it's limitations in speed, contrast, sudden moves, but Skydio 2 is like a 10 fold improvement in this regard.

It will only get better from here for both companies, will be interesting if Skydio can keep up with demand, like pointed out, they aren't even out there yet, and they have their own forum here (and probably elsewhere on the interwebs).

I’m a absolute super big DJI fan, I have everything they have made except the inspire 1,2. The 1st phantom was pretty good but to see where we are now, you would look at a phantom 1 like a old vw bug, it works but the windows don’t roll up on their own. I will continue to be a big DJI fan unless something happens that they cross some super bad line with our country or customers, I really don’t see anything like that happening. I am definitely one of the first several getting the new Skydio 2 with all the extra gadgets. I’m super excited because it will push DJI to be better (as all drone companies) maybe we won’t have to be DJI beta testers on the new stuff. I can understand some improvements needing help and all but sometimes I think we may be taken advantage of “just a little” because there are just not many other drones with the quality and equipment DJI has and at price DJI sells. Damm I love my DJI stuff, but when I get my tracking number for my Skydio 2 I’m having a front yard party for the delivery guy. Catered food, open bar and lots of Texas bbq for anyone who wants to come and see and play

I'm surprised at all the negatives on the skydio. I own 3 DJI drones and personally I would buy a Skydio in a heartbeat. I have been impressed with all the evaluations. Only drawback is no Litchi support but again I have 3 DJI drones that all run Litchi by default.

Incredible! To think that just five years ago the Phantom 1 was the “future”. What do you suppose we will be comparing and commenting on in 2025?

I hope I'm still breathing when this happens!

I also predict that DJI and other vendors will adopt the next generation of battery tech (faster-charging, non-burning, solid electrolyte batts) which could allow 45-60 min. flight time with the same size and weight of today's LiPo batts!

I don't mind the occasional post about the competition, but why is there such a huge proliferation of posts on the Skydio these days?

It makes one wonder ...

Reactions: Sunshynff
the future of what drone flying is becoming.
? You're joking, right?
Lets see how it does 6mos after it's release, there's already people canceling orders due to reviews from testers/reviewers on youtube and other sites. Don't get me wrong, the obstacle avoidance and AI look awesome, but that was the only stand out feature I could really see. It's range sucks, the controller looks weak, and the software for interface GUI is lame. He didn't mention flight time, but If it's better, then it's not by much. As far as 4k 60fps, 95% of people won't be able to tell the difference, and there are many other factors that go into 4k 60fps being better. Bitrate, read/right speed of the host sd drive, is it true 4k or just compressed.

DJI isn't going anywhere, like it or not, they've proven themselves an industry pioneer and leader, no one can touch them in overall usability, performance and reliability. From their drones to stand alone gimbals, to their software, to Lightbridge technology and now the DJI Air system for fpv! It's common knowledge that quad racers/freestylers don't always care for each other, mention DJI or a phtog drone at a racing or freestyle event and get ready for the groans and bitching..lol. So when DJI came out with the digital HD Air system, the fpv quad folks were super skeptical. Now that it's been out a bit, I know tons of quad pilots making the switch to DJI Air for their FPV cam set up, and said they'll never go back to analog.

As far as the future, or game changer of the industry, I would have to say it's the cinedrone. Quads that are usually DIY builds, (several RTF models are starting to emerge though), that are pure FPV, kind of a hybrid between small tiny whoops and larger racing quads. They were typically 2.5"/3"(130-ishmm) frame and mostly indoor, but now larger 7"/8"(275-ishmm) frames are becoming popular. It's pure FPV though, flying in acro, meaning no gps orientation, no stabilization, no obstacle avoidance and FPV the entire time, but the results are amazing, I'll post a video below. IMO this will be, at least one of, the game changers for photography drones.

This video is breath taking!! Sorry, but no DJI drone can get footage like this. This guy Blastr, won an award for this video at NYC drone film festival.....

Reactions: Hauptmann
? You're joking, right?
Lets see how it does 6mos after it's release, there's already people canceling orders due to reviews from testers/reviewers on youtube and other sites. Don't get me wrong, the obstacle avoidance and AI look awesome, but that was the only stand out feature I could really see. It's range sucks, the controller looks weak, and the software for interface GUI is lame. He didn't mention flight time, but If it's better, then it's not by much. As far as 4k 60fps, 95% of people won't be able to tell the difference, and there are many other factors that go into 4k 60fps being better. Bitrate, read/right speed of the host sd drive, is it true 4k or just compressed.

DJI isn't going anywhere, like it or not, they've proven themselves an industry pioneer and leader, no one can touch them in overall usability, performance and reliability. From their drones to stand alone gimbals, to their software, to Lightbridge technology and now the DJI Air system for fpv! It's common knowledge that quad racers/freestylers don't always care for each other, mention DJI or a phtog drone at a racing or freestyle event and get ready for the groans and bitching..lol. So when DJI came out with the digital HD Air system, the fpv quad folks were super skeptical. Now that it's been out a bit, I know tons of quad pilots making the switch to DJI Air for their FPV cam set up, and said they'll never go back to analog.

As far as the future, or game changer of the industry, I would have to say it's the cinedrone. Quads that are usually DIY builds, (several RTF models are starting to emerge though), that are pure FPV, kind of a hybrid between small tiny whoops and larger racing quads. They were typically 2.5"/3"(130-ishmm) frame and mostly indoor, but now larger 7"/8"(275-ishmm) frames are becoming popular. It's pure FPV though, flying in acro, meaning no gps orientation, no stabilization, no obstacle avoidance and FPV the entire time, but the results are amazing, I'll post a video below. IMO this will be, at least one of, the game changers for photography drones.

This video is breath taking!! Sorry, but no DJI drone can get footage like this. This guy Blastr, won an award for this video at NYC drone film festival.....
The video is amazing. The operator is an absolute drone maestro conducting a symphony. The rest of us are still plinking 'twinkle twinkle little star.'

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11