DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro vs Phantom 4 Pro repaired or wait/other?

Omiacha

Reactions
So I have had my P4P for 3 years now. I have managed to not crash it until this past weekend when, while trying to land it, a strong wind caused it to clip a tree branch and fall about 20ft into the snow. It is wrecked pretty bad 2 arms are broke, camera snapped off the gimble, and 3 propellors (and likely their motors) broke. I have sent it off to see about getting it repaired. However, I expect it to be a very hefty price and it may not be worth it. It may be better to just cut my losses and upgrade. That is what brings me here.

Back in the summer I considered upgrading it. I had heard that a Mavic 3 was due to come out around September. However, that never happened. My main thing is photography. I rarely take videos. My main interest is getting the absolute best still shots I can. With that said I would like to ask for opinions and suggestions on what I should do. Is the Mavic 2 Pro a solid upgrade from my P4P? (mine isnt the V2 I bought it in 2018 before V2 was out) If the price is really expensive to repair my P4P would I be better off cutting my losses and buying a Mavic 2 Pro or is there any indication that a Mavic 3 is on the horizon if I just wait a few months? I am very much a novice drone pilot and the P4P was my first drone. I chose it because of its array of sensors. I thought it would be the least likely for me to crash. That was prior to the Mavic 2 Pros existence (I think) Anyway thank you for reading and I appreciate any info/opinions. If there is another brand that maybe has stepped up their game I would consider it. I have read a little bit about the Autel EVO 2 Pro which appears spec wise to be superior but I am skeptical. I know DJI is all around great while I have ever heard of that other company. I have loved my P4P and had a lot of fun flying it. I just want to see if there are better options out there for photography (obviously at a similar price point). Thank you

Is the Mavic 2 Pro a solid upgrade from my P4P?
Both give very similar results.
would I be better off cutting my losses and buying a Mavic 2 Pro
It's your choice whether staying with the system you have (accessories, batteries etc) or the smaller form factor of the Mavic is important enough to swing the deal.
or is there any indication that a Mavic 3 is on the horizon if I just wait a few months?
There has been a steady stream of rumours about the impending release of a Mavic 3 ever since soon after the Mavic 2 was released.
None turned out to be credible as would likely be the case with any future rumours.
If there is another brand that maybe has stepped up their game I would consider it. .. I just want to see if there are better options out there for photography (obviously at a similar price point).
DJI has had the market to themselves for a long time and so far no-one else has matched or exceeded their drones.
The only prospect would be the Xdynamics Evolve 2 that looks like being released very soon.
By all accounts it should perform very well and have a better camera.
But that comes at a cost that's more than the Phantom or Mavic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Omiacha
If you have a fair amount of accessories (Filters, batteries, props) for the P4P, I would stay with it, plenty of used and refurbished ones out there for about or under 1k. Any other setup will cost you around $1500 and up to replace what you have. I just had one of mine P4P repaired (similar damage) and it cost me $850, but I have 5 batteries, Filters, 4 sets of props, hard case and backpack. For me to replace all of that with a new setup it would cost me over 2k easy.

If your picky about the sensor quality you'd have to stick with the P4P v1 or v2 models.

You can’t beat the convenience of the M2P, everything you need packs into a small back pack or shoulder bag. Video quality is excellent, broadcast quality 100 mbps.

Excellent points and suggestions I do have several extras like batteries and a hard case that I had not really thought about. Thank you all for the great advice. I guess I will see how much the repair bill is going to be and then make a decision. However, I imagine given what you guys have said it would not be much of an upgrade by going to a M2P especially given what all I currently have for my P4P.

I have not flown a P4P but I own a P3 4K. I also own a Mavic 2 Pro & a Mavic 2 Zoom. I do suspect the P4P flies better than my P3 because the Mavic 2s, either the Pro or the Zoom flies much better than my Phantom. Here is a thought......buy a used Mavic 2 and wait and see what the Mavic 3 brings to the table. Check your PM's.

I have not flown a P4P but I own a P3 4K. I also own a Mavic 2 Pro & a Mavic 2 Zoom. I do suspect the P4P flies better than my P3 because the Mavic 2s, either the Pro or the Zoom flies much better than my Phantom. Here is a thought......buy a used Mavic 2 and wait and see what the Mavic 3 brings to the table. Check your PM's.
It's not so much what each individual drone can do, but all the extras that one may have for the existing drone over what the cost factor would be to replace it with a new with all the accessories. You buy the M2P, the batteries cost around $160. I have 5 for mine add up the cost of that on top of the drone itself $800 on top of the cost of the drone. Your now over 2k and may still need mounts (if you use a tablet), and filters. That is just the basics, so compare the cost of a repair or even acquire another P4P for under 1k.

Yes the batteries and assessories is a great point I had not thought about. Those batteries add up quick. I am still waiting to hear back on the repair estimate but I am leaning toward keeping it unless its like $1000 to repair it or something outrageous. Basically if it cost more to repair than I could sell it for I may not get it fixed. I hate to spend more to fix it than its worth.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3