DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro Water damaged !!

Reactions
Hello people, I have a Mavic 2 Pro that went into a clearwater lake in Arkansas. I spent some money to get it diagnosed to see if it could be fixed, but I was told they cannot work on it. So if I want to sell the drone for parts who should I be reaching out to ? and how much can I expect for the drone? looking from the outside I don't see even a small scuff mark so whatever the problem is, it is inside.

Water pretty well instantly ruins electronics like this, or at the very best, still makes it so you can never trust it again. Drying them out with rice and all that is a complete myth. Sorry to hear about your accident.

I would try the for sale section on this board as well as eBay. Any local sale forums you have available to you as well such as Craig's list would be good too. Make sure you're clear about the fact that it's water damaged, and sold as-is with no warranties or guarantees. No idea about cost but I would venture a guess of $300 or so for the drone itself.

Reactions: Roco'smavic2pro
Water pretty well instantly ruins electronics like this, or at the very best, still makes it so you can never trust it again. Drying them out with rice and all that is a complete myth. Sorry to hear about your accident.

I would try the for sale section on this board as well as eBay. Any local sale forums you have available to you as well such as Craig's list would be good too. Make sure you're clear about the fact that it's water damaged, and sold as-is with no warranties or guarantees. No idea about cost but I would venture a guess of $300 or so for the drone itself.
Thanks for sharing your insights on it. I appreciate it. I had no clue what to do with it.

Hello people, I have a Mavic 2 Pro that went into a clearwater lake in Arkansas. I spent some money to get it diagnosed to see if it could be fixed, but I was told they cannot work on it. So if I want to sell the drone for parts who should I be reaching out to ? and how much can I expect for the drone? looking from the outside I don't see even a small scuff mark so whatever the problem is, it is inside.
I would suggest sending a message here to get their opinion on if it can be fixed (DJI wont touch anything with water) and aprox how much.
Thunder Drones – Specializing In Dji Drones

Thanks for sharing your insights on it. I appreciate it. I had no clue what to do with it.
Toss the battery but the drone can be saved as long as you didn’t fry anything but send it to thunder drones he will take care of you similar thing happened to me and he fixed it and it might just need to be recoated with some contact cleaner to keep things from corrosion and like I said mine was under for about 10 min sent it to thunder drones fixed my gimbal and vision sensors

It looks like you only tried one shop. There's an excellent chance it is actually repairable as many have had no problems with their quad after exposure to water.

Thunderdrones is one place to try, the other is DJIDroneService (or something like that). The latter does free estimates even if you decline the repair.

It might be best to open it up as soon as possible, and flush well with 100% pure isopropyl alcohol.
Isopropyl won't harm anything.

Use a spray bottle to apply it liberally (set to a jet action, not fine spray) and really get it into all the circuit boards and other places water had got to . . . I suppose pretty much all of it !
This disperses the moisture, which will start corrosion of the electronics / wiring if left.

Drain isopropyl and shake it out gently . . . isopropyl dries out very fast and thoroughly then left open in the air for a while.
Then it can be sent in dry and see what the repairers prognosis is.

I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on just how far one should take the drone down (apart) . . .
Just the body covers ?
Or would taking things like legs off to get into the antenna cavities be needed ?

Maybe just ask a couple of repairers for advice on all that, they might just say don't bother !
I know I could never trust a drone fully to fly again after immersion.

Yeah, I am sending it to thunder drones, but I am scrapping the drone. Already spoke to him and he is ready to take the drone in for a look. Just for better clarity, my drone had this accident in March 2019 and I sent it to DJI right after but they took it in and did nothing for three weeks and sent it back to me since it was a water damaged drone. They could've told me before even taking it in. By the time I got it back from them, everything was already under corrosion. I tried to give it to someone to get it fixed but none of them wanted to look at it. I recently moved to Florida and then I was getting hopes since people wanted to have a look at it at least.

But now after looking at a lot of discussion about buying a drone from eBay without a camera module and assembling it based on my needs, I decided to go that way. I already ordered for a body for $475. I will be buying a zoom lens from thunder drones, i have the rest of the stuff from my damaged drone. Also, Thunderdrones hopefully will take in my drone and give me some money for that which will compensate for the camera module.

Does the idea sound right?

I d
It looks like you only tried one shop. There's an excellent chance it is actually repairable as many have had no problems with their quad after exposure to water.

Thunderdrones is one place to try, the other is DJIDroneService (or something like that). The latter does free estimates even if you decline the repair.
i tried them there estimates were outrageous they wanted to fix things that never even needed fixing I’ll recommend thunder drones any day

Yeah, I am sending it to thunder drones, but I am scrapping the drone. Already spoke to him and he is ready to take the drone in for a look. Just for better clarity, my drone had this accident in March 2019 and I sent it to DJI right after but they took it in and did nothing for three weeks and sent it back to me since it was a water damaged drone. They could've told me before even taking it in. By the time I got it back from them, everything was already under corrosion. I tried to give it to someone to get it fixed but none of them wanted to look at it. I recently moved to Florida and then I was getting hopes since people wanted to have a look at it at least.

But now after looking at a lot of discussion about buying a drone from eBay without a camera module and assembling it based on my needs, I decided to go that way. I already ordered for a body for $475. I will be buying a zoom lens from thunder drones, i have the rest of the stuff from my damaged drone. Also, Thunderdrones hopefully will take in my drone and give me some money for that which will compensate for the camera module.

Sounds like the best plan.

You probably know what happened on the first flight and why it went down.
Learned from it, and reading other posts here.
Good luck with the the new drone.

Thanks, bud. I am trying to take it slow.
Hey I had the same exact thing happen to me with dji I gotta say there’s probably more you can salvage out of that drone hey you might get lucky and rob might say he can fix it for less rather than scraping it does it turn on and fly when mine took a swim it was getting imu esc error s and a week later it turned on flew perfectly vision sensors were damaged had to replace that gimbal was shot but in all I paid way less than expected with rob and he even sent me back the damaged parts why idk ? but he’s a good dude and I truly thinks he just loves working on drones for little profit in his pocket if you ask me. I’ll ask you this if he can fix it for less or the same as what it would you pay on eBay for a drone that god knows what someone did to it and put it up for sale Would you.hey the way I look at it is your drone only you know what kind of conditions you put it through is all I’m saying.and eBay isn’t very reliable. I’ve heard people with horror stories of drones that were activated when the seller says it’s new and all sorts of stuff it’s hit and miss but the way I look at is you have to pay to play and if I’m gonna pay a little more for something you know is your property.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929