DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 showing Magnetic Interference on Every Flight After Trip To Namibia

rickray

Reactions
Hi,

I have just returned from a trip to Namibia with my Mavic 2 Pro. Prior to going there I did not get MAG INT warnings at all, but at every single flight location in Namibia, I had to recalibrate the compass, even in the middle of vast, remote deserts. I have learned Namibia is rich in ore virtually everywhere, and I assumed that could be causing magnetic interference everywhere, so I simply did my calibration before every flight.

But now I am back in the US, and the drone is still requiring me to recalibrate before every flight, giving me a MAG INT warning before flights FAR from any metal interference, in a field of strawberries, on a remote beach, on a hillside in SoCal......basically everywhere.

It flies fine once calibrated, but my question is - is there some kind of error going on where the drone thinks it needs to do this on every flight, no matter where? Is there any research on this.

Please don't respond with the recommendation to recalibrate at each new location anyway. This is not really necessary, per DJI's own recommendations. I'm more interested in whether there is some kind of internal error happening that keeps forcing me to do this no matter the location.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Where in Namibia were you ?

Not sure if this could be the reason ( I'm very new to drones ).. but there are places in Namibia with quite high background radioactive emissions ( Uranium deposits ).. Rossing near Walvis Bay comes to mind.

Where in Namibia were you ?

Not sure if this could be the reason ( I'm very new to drones ).. but there are places in Namibia with quite high background radioactive emissions ( Uranium deposits ).. Rossing near Walvis Bay comes to mind.

Uranium is not going to affect the aircraft. I would guess that more likely it was exposed to a significant magnetic field sometime on the trip, and that something on the aircraft has become sufficiently magnetized that it is unable to calibrate properly.

Sar104 could you use a degaussing wand or even a strong magnet in the circular motion to get rid of it maybe?

Hi,

I have just returned from a trip to Namibia with my Mavic 2 Pro. Prior to going there I did not get MAG INT warnings at all, but at every single flight location in Namibia, I had to recalibrate the compass, even in the middle of vast, remote deserts. I have learned Namibia is rich in ore virtually everywhere, and I assumed that could be causing magnetic interference everywhere, so I simply did my calibration before every flight.

But now I am back in the US, and the drone is still requiring me to recalibrate before every flight, giving me a MAG INT warning before flights FAR from any metal interference, in a field of strawberries, on a remote beach, on a hillside in SoCal......basically everywhere.

It flies fine once calibrated, but my question is - is there some kind of error going on where the drone thinks it needs to do this on every flight, no matter where? Is there any research on this.

Please don't respond with the recommendation to recalibrate at each new location anyway. This is not really necessary, per DJI's own recommendations. I'm more interested in whether there is some kind of internal error happening that keeps forcing me to do this no matter the location.

Thanks!

Could have been close to ferrite mineral deposits which may cause strong magnetic fields.

Sar104 could you use a degaussing wand or even a strong magnet in the circular motion to get rid of it maybe?

Degaussing tools seem to work quite well for this purpose, based on other reports. They use rapidly alternating magnetic fields. I don't know if you can get the same effect with a permanent magnet - that sounds difficult.

Reactions: Simmo
So for those folks who are facing this problem and are requested to calibrate before EVERY flight, what do you suggest? Opening a ticket with DJI?

Thanks

was the mavic stored near an area where there was a magnetic field? I always remember a story of one who stored his mavic on the wall above his large stereo speakers and had the same issue.

Reactions: AgPhotoWings
was the mavic stored near an area where there was a magnetic field? I always remember a story of one who stored his mavic on the wall above his large stereo speakers and had the same issue.

In my experience the M2P (my only drone) is pretty sensitive to even moderate metallic exposure.

You may have miss read my post it seems... (my only drone), not old. It's the first and only drone I've owned.
:) Sorry my friend! I misread "my old drone" instead of "my only drone". It was early in morning and I didn't have coffee by that time!

Always fly safe!

Do you have a Metal name plate on the drone?

I had the same issue also. Changed the position of the plate to another one and now it is fine for me

My Mavic 2 is off the shelf normal. It’s flying fine once I calibrate. But honestly since my trip is requires me to do it 100% of the time. I’m storing it normally away from any strong magnetic fields. I’ve never had a drone that requires this and truly wonder if it’s related to the flying in Namibia.

Anybody have any solutions?

My Mavic 2 is off the shelf normal. It’s flying fine once I calibrate. But honestly since my trip is requires me to do it 100% of the time. I’m storing it normally away from any strong magnetic fields. I’ve never had a drone that requires this and truly wonder if it’s related to the flying in Namibia.

Anybody have any solutions?

If you really want to know what is going on then you will need to post a DAT file from your mobile device. That will include the boot log, the FC calibration checks and the full magnetometer data. It should be possible to determine exactly what is triggering the requests.

Mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada