DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 vs. Mavic Pro fan and cooling system

Former Member

Reactions
A huge positive step that DJI took from the MP to the M2 is in the drones electronic thermostat and fan positioning. In the MP, the fan would not turn on until the drone detected board temps of around 106° at the hottest spot, then it would come on and stay on at full blast to maintain that temp if the ambient temperature required it to. The MP's fan was mounted vertically, and alot of the fan output was wasted on air that was cooler than the components the fan was trying to cool in the first place. In a word, inefficient. The ram air effect that many people thought came in through the front of the fan grill was actually almost zero and the drone relied 100% on the cooling fan to prevent meltdown of the core board.

The Mavic 2 has a horizontally mounted, variable speed fan that comes on at slow speed at startup and increases speed as the drone gets closer to the upper limits of its optimal operating temperature. To a grease monkey like me, this was an awesome improvement. The old MP fan came on full blast, and thats where it stayed, and this created premature wear on fans. I have a drawer full of Mavic Pro v1 fans that just got worn out, and seized. Some even fried the core board by not providing the cooling it needed mid flight, and by the time the drone landed the core board was fried. Those days are gone with the M2 fan.

The M2 fan is practically the same size as the MP's fan but has twice as many blades. It gets its air from the 2 side air ducts on the fuselages front. Air is output through the 2 vents in the back. The system works amazingly well, it's more efficient than the MPs fan, and its variable speed will surely increase its life expectancy. In electronics, sometimes it's better to leave a component on 24/7 at variable speeds than to turn it off and then on again at full speed. This is the case with the M2 fan.

DJI's drones just keep getting better and better, engineering marvels that they are.

Last edited:
That's awesome to know but unfortunately I don't have the cash to upgrade from the Platinum to the Mavic 2. I take good care of mine and never fly in hot weather. I will wait until DJI release the Mavic 3, which will be even better than the Mavic 2.

Reactions: Former Member
That's awesome to know but unfortunately I don't have the cash to upgrade from the Platinum to the Mavic 2. I take good care of mine and never fly in hot weather. I will wait until DJI release the Mavic 3, which will be even better than the Mavic 2.

Hey, I still have Phantom 3 Advanced and Pros hanging around. The MPP is an awesome drone, and is still way ahead of its competition.

Sometimes you gotta run what ya brung. ;)

Reactions: macoman
Thanks for the detailed information rob;) much appreciatedThumbswayup

Reactions: JDawg
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61