DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom “Gimbal motor overload” problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry0587

Reactions
Hi there. I just received a Mavic 2 Zoom replacement. In some of the flights just after I start flying the unit it gives me the “gimbal motor overload” message and the camera starts spinning and shaking. I already calibrated the gimbal and the IMU, but it sporadically gives me the error. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Hi there. I just received a Mavic 2 Zoom replacement. In some of the flights just after I start flying the unit it gives me the “gimbal motor overload” message and the camera starts spinning and shaking. I already calibrated the gimbal and the IMU, but it sporadically gives me the error. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
They need to calibrate the gimbal arm and gimbal computer board without doing so you will continue to receive error messages. I was told due to inconsistentsy in the magnetic pieces that are inside the gimbal arm the correct calibration is one in every three that it reads as the same. So even though the new gimbal arm has been replaced the internal magnet ring should be exchanged from the new using the original. If you can't do it the new board will need to be calibrated together with the new arm and it's motors . I'm not sure if dji would do it as a repair. I don't believe that anyone would have access to the proprietary system linkage program.

Do you know what is the warranty claim period for a replacement unit?
Depends on what you mean by "replace". I assume you mean the entire AC. However you got the replacement should warranty the replacement itself for at least 30 days no matter how old the original was.

It's not about the warranty. If you could imagine that the gimbal arm was motored by tiny cut diamonds. and the original calibration is with those diamonds and the relationship between them and the arm and placement of motor whenever calibrated. So it is damaged by something. And the new arm comes with new diamonds. What are the chances of those diamonds being cut exactly the same way. Because of size they are machined so much and finished by hand. So even though technology is great same issues with the minimal sized magnets that are used to make the arm work are calibrated with those specific magnets and their cut along with spacing. In order for the error not to be detected by the CPU space and size as well as spatial orientation have to be almost identical. But if you damaged the gimbal in travel or fight the gimbal computer system needs to be replaced by a new one that hasn't been yet calibrated. The magnetic field allows the initial calibration. Sorry if it wasn't worded correctly.

But OP said or implied in his original post he got a replacement for the entire M2 AC. Was it a Care Refresh replacement? Replacement from a store?

I don't believe the M2 gimbal needs any calibration. People swap Zoom for Pro and vice-versa all the time.

Is a DJI Refresh replacement unit.

I was told by DJI that the replacement unit has a 3 month warranty.

I think that since the problem is sporadical there’s a chance it won’t replicate there and they wont honor the warranty.

Also there is a chance that they diagnose the unit with “other problems” and make me pay then.

What do you recommend me to do?

If you just got it replaced, can't be that sporadic. It would also be in the logs.

If you got a defect which you paid for in the way of refresh deductible, get it replaced with a good one.

Reactions: Thomas B
I think if it’s happening a bunch, and you just got it, check your logs. If you can see a history of it happening, they should. And if you’re in the 90 day, send it back. Make a case, something other then taking it apart your self.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but if let’s say 10 flights you’ve had, 6 of them show this randomly... chances are they will take care of it.... unless it’s got some damage to it.

Is a DJI Refresh replacement unit.

I was told by DJI that the replacement unit has a 3 month warranty.

I think that since the problem is sporadical there’s a chance it won’t replicate there and they wont honor the warranty.

Also there is a chance that they diagnose the unit with “other problems” and make me pay then.

What do you recommend me to do?
Have them send a unit that doesn't give you the error and let them know that you think someone forgot to calibrate the magnetic gimbal arm and the gimbal controller board. The might send a complete new product.

Again, that's usually not necessary for M2. Besides, this was a complete AC refresh replacement, not a repair.

Thanks. I opened a case and I’m going to send it to them. Hope they don’t charge me any fees :/

They repaired it under warranty. According to them it was the: 1) Gimbal ESC Board and 2) Gimbal Axis Arm module.

Reactions: Thomas B
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929