DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom and Smart Controller Going Back to DJI

RussOnTheRoad

Reactions
After a 3 hour chat with DJI support my new Mavic 2 Zoom and Smart Controller are going back to DJI for replacement. The controller often took many, repeated taps on the screen to get it to accept my input. One day it got so hot I was afraid of burning myself on the screen. I was repeatedly getting Inconsistent Firmware messages even though I had the latest firmware for the drone and controller installed and had repeatedly Updated when I got the message. I reported these and other issues in the Mavic 2 Zoom forum over the past week or so but most of that was not part of the chat today.

I’m just hoping that when the replacements come I don’t have all of the same problems all over again.

• Wow
Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Here's an update...

DJI has been really good about this. They said it would be 2-3 days before I received a shipping label from them to return my Zoom & Smart Controller for free replacement. The label arrived later the same day. An email acknowledging receipt of the Zoom and SC said it would be 5-7 days before shipping a replacement. They shipped it one day later.

Here's an update...

DJI has been really good about this. They said it would be 2-3 days before I received a shipping label from them to return my Zoom & Smart Controller for free replacement. The label arrived later the same day. An email acknowledging receipt of the Zoom and SC said it would be 5-7 days before shipping a replacement. They shipped it one day later.
my advice - when you get it all back - get latest dji assistant tool , run all upgrades from the assistant software only before pairing anything, when controller will be upgraded - turn off its wifi and bind to drone and then turn it on and fly. make sure to swap all batteries and re-run firmware update to make sure all batteries were also synced and updated to same code version.

i 'froze' my drone on .400 and whatever the firmware for SC was 2 months ago or so, and it all works flawlessly after that. less communication the better.

I'm sad to report that a quick inspection of the new Mavic 2 Zoom and Smart Controller I received as replacements for those I returned show the same problems. These include disappearing/reappearing waypoints in Waypoints 2.0, Smart Controller screen unresponsive at times requiring numerous taps, histogram that does not appear. Whether or not the screen will overheat or the camera view disappear remian to be seen as I have only spent about 30 minutes with the new equipment after updating the firmware.

my advice - when you get it all back - get latest dji assistant tool , run all upgrades from the assistant software only before pairing anything, when controller will be upgraded - turn off its wifi and bind to drone and then turn it on and fly. make sure to swap all batteries and re-run firmware update to make sure all batteries were also synced and updated to same code version.

i 'froze' my drone on .400 and whatever the firmware for SC was 2 months ago or so, and it all works flawlessly after that. less communication the better.
Thanks. FYI, when a Mavic 2/Smart Controller bundle is purchased they are already linked ro each other when they arrive.

I'm sad to report that a quick inspection of the new Mavic 2 Zoom and Smart Controller I received as replacements for those I returned show the same problems. These include disappearing/reappearing waypoints in Waypoints 2.0, Smart Controller screen unresponsive at times requiring numerous taps, histogram that does not appear. Whether or not the screen will overheat or the camera view disappear remian to be seen as I have only spent about 30 minutes with the new equipment after updating the firmware.

Any new update on your situation?

Just curious. Hope it is all working out now.

Any new update on your situation?

Just curious. Hope it is all working out now.
I got the same response from DJI that I got regarding the first drone and smart controller I had: update your firmware and send us a link showing the problem with Waypoints 2.0. I responded by telling them the firmware was already the current version and that I had already sent him a link to a video showing the problem with Waypoimts 2.0 and I sent them the link again.

I told them we had already gone through all of this and it seems to me they have a problem with firmware or software. I also asked them to try to duplicate the problem with their own equipment.

I agree the Inconsistent Firmware message was probably telling you to update your batteries so they matched the Firmware on the AC and SC.
How do you update the batteries?
I have three . I go to the library to get wifi. Thanks

How do you update the batteries?
I have three . I go to the library to get wifi. Thanks
You need to place the battery(ies) inside the drone and power it on. Generally, there will be a prompt "inconsistent firmware" (or similar). Follow the prompt to update the battery. Power off. Next battery, etc. You need to power on the drone so make sure to remove the gimbal lock. If you go to Library, you might leave off the props and tell them what you are doing so you don't appear threatening. Or you can use Assistant but still need batteries in drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000