DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom Controller Dead 60 days after purchase, DJI wants 75.00 to repair!

Trike Flyer

Reactions
I bought a mavic 2 zoom from Best Buy totaling over 2100.00 with googles and fly more kit . So it is brand new and I am the 1st and only owner. However the controller will not charge anymore and I used the charger from the fly more kit to change it with . This seems to be common problem with the micro usb port failing on these controllers and not allowing the unit to charge . I am within my 60 days of a 90 day warranty , Why does DJI want to charge me for this repair? Should it not be covered under warranty. and its a known problem? I can understand if i did something stupid and broke it but i didn't . I even have a case for my drone , batteries, goggles, controller to prevent them from damage and I want to keep it looking nice. How Long is the warranty for my controller supposed to last . Thanks Trike

Attachments

• ab5015b7-05f2-4e7c-820a-ffecb726ee45.png
    ab5015b7-05f2-4e7c-820a-ffecb726ee45.png
    156.2 KB · Views: 55
I bought a mavic 2 zoom from Best Buy totaling over 2100.00 with googles and fly more kit . So it is brand new and I am the 1st and only owner. However the controller will not charge anymore and I used the charger from the fly more kit to change it with . This seems to be common problem with the micro usb port failing on these controllers and not allowing the unit to charge . I am within my 60 days of a 90 day warranty , Why does DJI want to charge me for this repair? Should it not be covered under warranty. and its a known problem? I can understand if i did something stupid and broke it but i didn't . I even have a case for my drone , batteries, goggles, controller to prevent them from damage and I want to keep it looking nice. How Long is the warranty for my controller supposed to last . Thanks Trike

The port generally fails when people try and put the USB cable in upside down. Unfortunately DJI thought to make it rectangular so it is possible to force a normal USB cable in the wrong way up. This will break the port.

However it is still user error and hence not a warranty failure I would have thought.

There’s plenty of people who have never had the port fail also.

the problem is not the charger , or the cable ,but the actual port on the controller, unfortunately it is possible to put the cable into the port upside down, and this damages the port ,so as far as DJI are concerned you caused the damage, this is not a new problem and many others have had similar issues, one way to prevent incorrect insertion is to mark the top of the connector with something so you know it is the right way up, it is possible to purchase a new port connecter which comes complete with a cable attached,and fit it yourself but it means taking the controller apart there are videos on how to do it on youtube

Last edited:
The port generally fails when people try and put the USB cable in upside down. Unfortunately DJI thought to make it rectangular so it is possible to force a normal USB cable in the wrong way up. This will break the port.

However it is still user error and hence not a warranty failure I would have thought.

There’s plenty of people who have never had the port fail also.
you beat me to it

Reactions: dannybgoode
That actually is not a bad price for that repair.

Come on people...this is clearly something that DJI ought to cover. I'd keep trying

I think they should cover it too but that would be admitting to a faulty design and you know that ain’t happening. I used white out to mark the top of the USB but eventually purchased a magnetic connector which took away the possibility of damaging the port.

Reactions: JAW
Here's the Update ! After a few comments here I guess it was better to pay DJI to get my controller fixed and get it back to me. As opposed to arguing with DJI and never get the work done and not see my machine for a month . I dont believe its right, I dont believe they honor their warranty unless you buy one of their plans , and no I didn't stick the micro usb in the port backwards into the controller and break the port . There's a known issue with the port failing . If a person was to google it they will find it . But I want to thank those that commented and let me know before hand that DJI was most likely not going to fix it for free . I bought the enterprise light kit for it and that will be fun . I was thinking when I hear the coyotes howl , I can drop in, turn on the spot light and say hello . These were the things i dreamed about when i was a kid . I wish i had this when my dog took off and was gone all night . I could have used this drone to look for him . I took 3 trips with my RZR side by side to find him but never did . But unfortunately I eventually found him early morning in a field laid down , shot though both front legs with a 22 cal . Any higher and it would have gone though his lungs/heart. Some people just suck. But he pulled though and is still with me today with in good health . Thanks again ! Trike.

Attachments

• 12654268_924178244285848_8531144734505343706_n.jpg
    12654268_924178244285848_8531144734505343706_n.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: old man mavic
Glad your pup made it through ok. You might look at thunderdrones.org for any future repair needs. I believe they're in Georgia.

I didn’t see cost in OP’s post., could you post same? TIA
I remember see $75 somewhere in this thread. LOL! It was in the title.

Reactions: Thomas B
OK, Thx.... I feel stupid!
That's ok. I remembered reading it, posted my response and then saw it in the title, so I edited my comment. The LOL in my comment was laughing at myself for missing it in the title.

Reactions: Thomas B
I think they should cover it too but that would be admitting to a faulty design and you know that ain’t happening. I used white out to mark the top of the USB but eventually purchased a magnetic connector which took away the possibility of damaging the port.
I'm a little late to the party, but was your source for the magnetic connector?

Not that it will change DJI's position, but isn't the warranty for 1 year?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser