DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 zoom didnt return the log disapeared from the flight log

Jasondronemaster

Reactions
Hi guys, i was flying about 4 to 5 thousand yards away and the controler disconneted, it never returned to the home point and i allways be sure it marks the home point before i fly, so i hiked up to look for it, i got up there at 5 pm ended up having an accident where a rock i stepped on wobbled i fell off and it fell on me, i was stuck under it for 8 hours until i figured out how to get free, i was then able to call 911 and 5 more hours later was flown out by helicopter at the hospital i discovered i had 11 broken ribs. i digress, i never found the drone, i went back up using the find my drone went to where the line ended nothing there, looked all over.

i watched the log of my flight 5 or 6 times, so i know it was there, i got the end point coordinates from it, and then the log disapeared from my phone, how is this possible? I sent all my logs to dji i looked on all my devices the have go4 on it and no log on that date and i flew 2 times...
the flight date was november 22 2020 around 3 pm

im attaching my flight logs here
any advice would be appreciated its an expensive drone , i would really like to figure out what happened, what do drones do when they dont return home ? was this an error in programing?

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-09-23_[12-46-05].txt
    366.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-10-28_[17-23-42].txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-10-28_[17-26-00].txt
    731.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-04_[12-19-08].txt
    196.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-04_[12-22-20].txt
    110.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-04_[12-28-17].txt
    182.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-04_[12-33-11].txt
    387.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-04_[12-47-01].txt
    797.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-04_[13-05-52].txt
    96.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-04_[13-08-22].txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-04_[13-08-34].txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-04_[13-09-10].txt
    473.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-04_[13-22-36].txt
    550.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-04_[13-31-10].txt
    409 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-04_[14-07-01].txt
    547.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-09_[16-28-40].txt
    152.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-09_[16-36-12].txt
    231.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-09_[16-42-36].txt
    85.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-09_[16-44-55].txt
    210.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-10_[15-33-45].txt
    174.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Haha
Reactions: tlswift58
Hi there ... it's sounds like you had a real ordeal that day, in hindsight it could have been even worse if you hadn't got unstuck from that rock, glad you made it ... no drone is worth dying for.

A disconnect without a RTH can have a number of different reasons ... but a disconnect always lead to that your log recording back to your screen device stops. If this happens midair & the AC continue to fly (or fall) for a while the "Find my drone" position in your app will be wrong ... that position will only be updated as long as you are connected.

So if everything was working good up to the point where you got the disconnect midair ... no last sudden AC movements shown in the live stream (indicating & crash or a bird strike) or error messages, it's usually either a disconnect due to flying out of unobstructed line of sight (flying behind a solid hill or mountain peak) & then the later crash happens outside the log in a completely different place than where it was when it disconnected (a to low RTH height perhaps...). Or ... it could have been a sudden power loss due to a disconnected battery ... a sudden electrical malfunction, or a system crash that turns the AC off. In all these cases the connection will be abruptly terminated & the AC will fall in a trajectory directed down/forward & depending on the height above ground & AC speed end up in a very different location than what the "Find my drone" position shows.

Plain & simple ... if no signs was shown of something wrong before the disconnect, the reason for the AC not returning is outside all logs that you have in your screen device.

Then ... all the logs you have attached is from 2018? Surely a AC laying outside in the mountains for 3 years isn't anything to look for ... if the flight was conducted much later it's no use to trawl through old logs ... they will not give any answer to this.

I just have to wonder why folks fly 4 or 5 thousand yards away. I have not only never done that, I haven't even wanted to. I know, different strokes for different folks. But it always amazes me when I see one of these.

Hi guys, i was flying about 4 to 5 thousand yards away and the controler disconneted, it never returned to the home point and i allways be sure it marks the home point before i fly, so i hiked up to look for it, i got up there at 5 pm ended up having an accident where a rock i stepped on wobbled i fell off and it fell on me, i was stuck under it for 8 hours until i figured out how to get free, i was then able to call 911 and 5 more hours later was flown out by helicopter at the hospital i discovered i had 11 broken ribs. i digress, i never found the drone, i went back up using the find my drone went to where the line ended nothing there, looked all over.

i watched the log of my flight 5 or 6 times, so i know it was there, i got the end point coordinates from it, and then the log disapeared from my phone, how is this possible? I sent all my logs to dji i looked on all my devices the have go4 on it and no log on that date and i flew 2 times...

im attaching my flight logs here
any advice would be appreciated its an expensive drone , i would really like to figure out what happened, what do drones do when they dont return home ? was this an error in programing?
You lost the drone in Nov 2020 and finally went back to look for it yesterday? Flying close to a mile out is asking for a lost drone. Yeah, yeah, yeah - DJI says it has a range of 20 miles (exaggerating but you get it) - so I can safely fly 1 mile out and should have no issues. Guess your eyesight is awesome to see a tiny drone a mile out - staying within VLOS as well.

If the area is used by quite a few folks for hiking / etc. - someone may have found it. Otherwise the drone kept flying in whatever direction it was going till the batteries died and it fell from the sky. No mention of battery level at time of disconnect and much more to this truly odd fishy story.

As mentioned - all those logs are from 2018. Where are the Nov 2020 logs? Should have some minimum for that flight that day prior to disconnect.

Although you may never find an answer to your inquiry, I am saddened by your loss. This is definitely a learning experience for you.

What program is able to read all of those flight records. And how do you get them.

What program is able to read all of those flight records. And how do you get them.

Some options discussed here:

Reactions: wardtom084
I know I have a lot to learn. I am not able to find these kinds of files. On my drone (mavic air 2) I have these folders (usb drive) In this folder I have (dcim) (lost.dir) ( misc ) ...dcim has 100 mdia in it ....the lost.dir folder is empty and misc folder has gis...idx..thm.. under thm there is a 100 folder that shows some screen savers (it says) and some thm files. Sorry guys hope this is not confusing. Now which or where are the flight records T H A N K S 11

I know I have a lot to learn. I am not able to find these kinds of files. On my drone (mavic air 2) I have these folders (usb drive) In this folder I have (dcim) (lost.dir) ( misc ) ...dcim has 100 mdia in it ....the lost.dir folder is empty and misc folder has gis...idx..thm.. under thm there is a 100 folder that shows some screen savers (it says) and some thm files. Sorry guys hope this is not confusing. Now which or where are the flight records T H A N K S 11

The files you asked about are not on the aircraft - they are on the mobile device - as described fairly clearly, I think, in the linked thread above.

Thank you, I have t
The files you asked about are not on the aircraft - they are on the mobile device - as described fairly clearly, I think, in the linked thread above.
Thank you , like I said I have a lot to learn. I have tried hooking up my android to the computer to find these files and right now the computer is not seeing my phone.

i looked on all my devices the have go4 on it and no log on that date and i flew 2 times...
If the app can display the flight and give you the last location, the flight record is in there somewhere.
Do you have any flight data for flights in 2020?
what do drones do when they dont return home ? was this an error in programing?
The usual reasons for lost, non-returned drones include:
Signal lost and unable to return due to wind, obstacles or not enough battery, or the drone was crashed into an obstacle.

The last location data is only going to show where the drone ended up if that's where it crashed or landed.
But if the drone was still in flight and going further when signal was lost, the drone could be a long way from there.

If you can find the correct txt file for that last flight, it will probably tell the story of what happened and maybe help identify a likely search area.
But files from 2018 aren't any help.

Sorry can’t help with finding cause of lost drone but….
As a retired Nurse my thoughts.
11 ribs broken? there would have been major concern of the integrity of the chest wall and the pleural space.
Heart and lung function would be severely impacted. With that many broken ribs you would probably have had Flail chest which is defined as two or more broken ribs causing paradoxical movement. The grinding of bone against bone can greatly exacerbate the existing injury and the greatest concern would be a pneumothorax type injury. Secondary but equally important would be cardiac tamponade.
Death out on the Mt, trapped for several plus hours, could have been the most likely outcome.
Being alive tops a lost drone.
Buy another drone, fly line of sight, make sure RTH is set to RTH, fly out against wind and back with the wind.
Don’t fly in the wilds solo or without an emergency beacon.

I think if I hiked the three miles to get to it and saw the terrain, I'd just turn back, it could have been a few feet away and you'd not have seen it.. I'd be interested to see the terrain from the safety of Google earth!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929