DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 zoom nearly crashed during Active Track video

Rick243

Reactions
Maybe someone can shed some light on why my M2Z just started flying backwards for over 100 yards and hit a tree while tracking my truck driving around the farm? Luckily it only suffered a chip out of a couple props. Up until it left the tree it was flying via active track. It seemed like it lost the track a couple of times and was trying to reconnect.

So what happens is that the Focus point for the tracking looses it original target which was the truck and it let you know right away that it was no longer working , and than it found another shadow to focus on backed it away from it and did what i call the Sea Saw effect , a common behavior i used to have with the phantom 4 pro when I tried active tracking.

I long gave up on active track as it has to be near perfect setup and a truck in dark shadow's is not it.

So nothing wrong with the drone , just not a perfect setup.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

It seems to have problems tracking when climbing hills. Near the top of the hill it senses too close to the ground and loses the target when it tries to adjust the elevation. I had just climbed a hill when the malfunction in the video occurred. Maybe I'm flying too low?

I had previously made this active track video in the snow, and it behaved the same way when I climbed the hill, stopping and backing up, but it recovered and resumed following me to the top of the hill. (being a newbie, I was thrilled to see how it dodged tree limbs at the creek crossing and thought I had it down pat).

Maybe someone can shed some light on why my M2Z just started flying backwards for over 100 yards and hit a tree while tracking my truck driving around the farm? Luckily it only suffered a chip out of a couple props. Up until it left the tree it was flying via active track. It seemed like it lost the track a couple of times and was trying to reconnect.

After looking at your video you are way to far away from the object you want to track and way to low to track it to. Another problem is that you were trying to track the truck into the sun at that height and it is a problem especially at that height not to mention the terrain you expected the drone to follow it lost you before it could even rise over the first little incline. You should only be about 2 - 3 m maximum above and behind, beside or in front of the object you want to track as I found that works best for active track. It will keep the object in the frame and track far better as well as the object rising and falling so will the drone. Give this a try and see what you think and let me know if it worked for you.

Reactions: Rick243
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User